High Topper Discussion/Decision Thread

Wallygator

Adventurer
So I think I am going to get rid of the Eezi-Awn Blade and RCI rack and go with a high topper. Deciding to do this because I feel it would be easier to find a place to stop and sleep for a few while traveling long distances. Also because it would be nice to have the mountain bike locked up and out of sight. An finally because it would be very easy to boondock just about anywhere.

So starting this thread to get some thoughts from everyone because I want to do this once and not have any regrets on the top and options chosen. Here are the two choices and options I'm considering....

Number 1:

Deluxe Commercial Unit (DCU)
Height: 29" (they also make a 36" on this normal DCU but it looks really bad. Not sure I could do it)
Color: Painted To Match
Interior: No Skin
Front Window: Clear Mitered Sliding Window
Rear Door: 1/2 Rear Door With Window
Driver Side Options: Radius Slider
Passenger Side Options: Radius Slider
Driver Side Toolbox: No Toolbox
Passenger Side Toolbox: No Toolbox
Ladder Rack: Ladder Rack With Center Support and Third Leg (or get the two center supports?)
eLock Rear: Yes

Number 2:

DCU MAX (improved build quality? obviously gonna be heavier)
Height: 29"
Color: Painted To Match
Interior: No Skin
Front Window: Clear Mitered Sliding Window
Rear Door: 1/2 Rear Door With Window
Driver Side Options: Full Length Door (will cut in some nice camper windows and then have the option of the doors to open for lots of air circulation)
Passenger Side Options: Full Length Door
Driver Side Toolbox: No Toolbox
Passenger Side Toolbox: No Toolbox
Ladder Rack: Ladder Rack With Center Support and Third Leg (or get the 2 center supports?)
Driver Side Door eLock: Yes
Passenger Side Door eLock: Yes (thinking about this for convenience/less keys)
eLock Rear: Yes

Or basically any combination of the above. I'm going crazy trying to decide what I want/need. The rack will have a solar panel on it and there will be a fantastic fan or similar cut into the top. Also my current awning will be bolted to the passenger side of the rack.

Thanks for any opinions/thoughts, really appreciated.
:thumbsup:

Vst

Sounds awesome I’m looking at maybe doing the same thing. I was looking at the ARE 32”-36” that slopes up I think it doesn’t look as bad as a rectangle 36” height one. I would also add a roof rack and some boxes that would help with the look of the tall shell. Keep us updated I’m still looking for ideas myself

Tacomacamper

I know this is an old thread but I think I have some connection to it. My old truck (loved it) had a setup that I think you might like. Tall aluminum topper with awning on the back and RTT over the cab. It was fun but our little family of 4 decided to grow into a bigger family of 4 so I sold it. It had a 2” OME lift, tube bumper on the back and pretty stock other than that. Could go through most things for about $15,000. Can’t beat that.

Attachments

• 31E7109C-2C25-410D-B28B-9B2950296E66.jpeg
    31E7109C-2C25-410D-B28B-9B2950296E66.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 63
  • 5F55EADD-02C1-4395-A79E-C4C79104587B.jpeg
    5F55EADD-02C1-4395-A79E-C4C79104587B.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 62

Wallygator

Adventurer
Forgot about this thread. So I ended up ordering a DCU wedge 26"-32", no rack, and a few other options. It's still not here, will try and remember to post pics once it comes in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz