High Top Soft Topper?

PHeller

Adventurer
I've been coming around to the idea of a Soft Topper, specifically because I like the fact that most of the time I could fold it down and have a normal usable truck bed (during the week) but when I go camping, I could fold it up and sleep in the back.

Thing is, I wouldn't want to spend money on anything that wasn't a high top. I want at least 6-10" over cab height.

Has anyone seen custom folder Soft Toppers in "High Top" configurations?

Screwfly

I haven't heard of a high top version. You could email them and see if there is something in the works. But looking at the way the top functions, it would need a pretty big design change to facilitate the additional height.
I'm actually purchasing a Softopper for my F-150 when I get back stateside.

aearles

Observer
Probably pretty difficult to build something with the structural support and aerodynamics to clear the roof and sustain the wind load...

BobsCreek

Adventurer
yeah, Im thinking it wouldnt be overly practical, ,the structural support would have to be pretty epic to hold down a canvas sail.

Clutch

<---Pass
Last edited:

Meili

Adventurer
What do you plan on using the bed for in "work" mode?

Not a soft top but there is the Topper EZ lift. They also make a tent for it but its $$$$$. www.topperezlift.com

Also saw one where the cap is hinged on the side, calm shells open.

Both of these are push button deals, thus the $, but I am sure a DIY manual set up would not be that hard to make. Heck, manual trailer tongue jacks are $30 a piece.

How about making a 2x6 frame that mounts on the bed rail,permanent/removable your choice, then mount a soft top on that!

billy bee

Adventurer
Like this?

2946627245_23ae895e7e-a.jpg

http://tentsontrucks.com/frogi/index.html

bb

PHeller

Adventurer
For starters, thanks for taking this and running with it.

Second, I'm an avid biker and enjoy shuttling buddies to the top of the mountain, I've got the ideal vehicle for it, but getting bikes into and out of a bed with a normal camper shell is a pain. An open bed in this case would be awesome. I've also used the truck a fair amount in situations where the shell was a hindrance, whether loading furniture or carrying lumper. Plus in daily driving visibility with any camper shell takes a toll, and I can definitely see installing a backup camera.

I also realized that far too often I'm not carrying anything in the bed that I need to have covered, but since I enjoy sleeping in the bed (with a roof over my head) I might be inclined to fold it up often.

A Softtopper is probably lighter than the high-top aluminum ARE DCU or similar.

I wonder if an angled/wedge front section would help make the topper more aerodynamic and less lightly to be torn to shreds...

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I wonder if an angled/wedge front section would help make the topper more aerodynamic and less lightly to be torn to shreds...

A simple fairing would work nicely, but the problem is still the rear end. With a huge flat area (like seen above) produces drag. This is why the fuel efficient cars are tear shaped, reducing that size of the rear end. You see the same with semi-trucks. Ever seen those panels sticking out the back?

ATDynamics-Trailer-Tails.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailer_tail

Plus, I travel on highways quite a bit, especially when heading to camping areas. 70-80MPH. I can't see those canvas toppers lasting too long in the wind.

PHeller

Adventurer
A simple fairing would work nicely, but the problem is still the rear end. With a huge flat area (like seen above) produces drag. This is why the fuel efficient cars are tear shaped, reducing that size of the rear end. You see the same with semi-trucks. Ever seen those panels sticking out the back?

Plus, I travel on highways quite a bit, especially when heading to camping areas. 70-80MPH. I can't see those canvas toppers lasting too long in the wind.

The advantage being that such a topper could be lowered when spending all day cruising on the highway. You might be able to leave it up while traveling between camp spots in the back country.

I mean afterall, this is Expo Forum, where the majority of people roam the world with vehicles shaped like bricks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste