High Quality Gravity Lockable Water Fill

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hey guys, anyone know of where I could get a high quality gravity lockable water fill? I see a lot of plastic ones that look a bit flimsy. I see the Earth Roamers use what might be a nice one but have not been able to find where they get them.

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
Have you looked at ours? Lockable cap, similar to a gas cap, and can be key matched to your existing key. The lid clicks into the open position, so you are not fighting it. It is held shut by neodymium magnets. Made in Austria. Best quality I have seen.

See it here: https://www.ternoverland.com/other-components

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hi David, I have looked at yours and it is a possibility. One thing is if possible I was hoping to get a metal one, maybe powder coated aluminum. Also not really sure I want one with a door as the cutout would be larger. My ideal would be a round metal flush fill. Not sure where Earth Roamer gets theirs (and not sure of they are plastic or metal but they look robust).

waterfill.png

TernOverland

Hi David, I have looked at yours and it is a possibility. One thing is if possible I was hoping to get a metal one, maybe powder coated aluminum. Also not really sure I want one with a door as the cutout would be larger. My ideal would be a round metal flush fill. Not sure where Earth Roamer gets theirs (and not sure of they are plastic or metal but they look robust).

View attachment 498711

That's a gas fill door, not water. You would have to put a water fill neck behind it. They are easy to find. Take a look here: https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Fuel-Tank-Black-Coated/dp/B00SXW9N00

There are a million variations. Do a search for "racing style locking fuel filler"

Last edited:

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hiya
Have you looked at marine ones?
Yeah, and I found a nice stainless one with a angled neck. Only problem was it was not lockable.

There are a million variations. Do a search for "racing style locking fuel filler"
Thanks David for that, not sure but EarthRoamer seems to use them for all connections. There are 5 of them used on the XV-LTS. Now I just need to figure out how to mesh the 2 (and if it is worth it).

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Thanks guys, I contacted Earth Roamer inquiring if they sold the water fill. They told me it is a 3 piece part, the filler door David brought up, a marine deck fill and a custom part. They said they currently do not sell parts, oh well. My guess is the custom part is machined, which I have no tools or skill to do. Will probably end up with just a simple plastic one.

TernOverland

Jon,
The "custom part" may be nothing but a hose reducer. Typical RV water tanks use 1-1/2" hoses. Other applications use other sizes. You might find all the parts and adapt them, but anytime you go down a rabbit hole like this, expect to spend time and money. You will probably end up with a box of unused parts, and a filler that is just what you want. I did this years ago on an electrical port. I think I ended up spending $300 to create something I couldn't find anywhere. One option is to use our inner parts, and just find a metal door to cover it. The neck and cap that we sell is very good quality, and no worry about water quality from unsafe materials. The outer door is removable and replaceable. That is one big advantage of the stuff we sell. We have parts, and we get things out fast.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
I agree with trying to go custom, trust me, this build is already "custom" enough for me to do a custom water fill ;-)

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Another suggestion might be to put them behind an anonymous looking door? Or, considering the height they may end up being at, do they need locking?
The RV fillers I have also have a small connection for the air vent included, so open to fill and it's vented, closed and that's shut too.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Thanks guys, with the marine ones the fill would be horizontal seems the RV gravity ones are slanted, which makes sense. For simplicity I just ordered a round locking plastic one. At least if it does not work out the hole is small enough where I can try a different one. I did find though a guy that makes some white powder coated aluminum ones. They are square doors though so not exactly what I wanted (large hole). If the plastic one does not work out I might go with the aluminum one. After putting so much effort into this build hard to start drilling holes :)

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
That's why I'm at first going to just poke the hose through the window. I'd need a step to reach an external filler and I'm not sure yet which would be a bigger pain to do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles