High pressure or low pressure propane hose

VikingVince

Explorer
Do you buy a high or low pressure propane hose for hooking up an 11lb propane tank to a portable Coleman propane camp stove?
What about a 20lb propane tank? Coleman sells a high pressure hose and says it's for a 20 lb tank to stove.
Searched for an hour online and can't really find a good answer to the 11 lb or 5 lb tank.
Many guys on here have a 5lb tank...what type of hose? Any 11 lb tanks out there...what type hose?
Thanks

WOODY2

Adventurer
Your hose selection should not be based on the size of the tank but rather the appliance that it's going supply.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Which stove? To my knowledge, most Coleman camp stoves are intended to be used with a 1lb disposable tank, so they have the hard-line with the inline regulator built-in. Generally then, you want the bulk propane adapter hose, which includes the ASA male end (looks like the top of a 1lb propane bottle and screws into the stove's regulator hard-line). I guess I'd call this hose "high pressure" since it does not include a regulator of its own, and passes the tank pressure directly to the stove's regulator.

As Woody says, the size of the bulk tank doesn't matter - any tank made in recent memory will have the same OPD type valve and fitting on it, so your bulk-tank hose needs to match that.

Fourth picture on the product listing shows how the bulk hose attaches to the regulator hardline:

WOODY2

Adventurer
Which stove? To my knowledge, most Coleman camp stoves are intended to be used with a 1lb disposable tank, so they have the hard-line with the inline regulator built-in. Generally then, you want the bulk propane adapter hose, which includes the ASA male end (looks like the top of a 1lb propane bottle and screws into the stove's regulator hard-line). I guess I'd call this hose "high pressure" since it does not include a regulator of its own, and passes the tank pressure directly to the stove's regulator.

As Woody says, the size of the bulk tank doesn't matter - any tank made in recent memory will have the same OPD type valve and fitting on it, so your bulk-tank hose needs to match that.

Fourth picture on the product listing shows how the bulk hose attaches to the regulator hardline:
Do we dare muddy the water with mention of carrying a Lindal adapter? :cool:

perterra

Adventurer
Do you buy a high or low pressure propane hose for hooking up an 11lb propane tank to a portable Coleman propane camp stove?
What about a 20lb propane tank? Coleman sells a high pressure hose and says it's for a 20 lb tank to stove.
Searched for an hour online and can't really find a good answer to the 11 lb or 5 lb tank.
Many guys on here have a 5lb tank...what type of hose? Any 11 lb tanks out there...what type hose?
Thanks

It's considered high pressure because it is for unregulated pressure from a propane tank, which will vary with outside temps. So if it is unregulated, high pressure is your choice, if it's connecting an appliance to a regulator on the tank, then low pressure.

The pressure will be pretty close to the same regardless of tank size if it's propane. Isobutane or a mixture of propane and isobutane will have much lower pressures than propane alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles