high output solar panels?

aernan

Observer
In my research I found out that SunPower has some 435 watt panels with the next closest being A panasonic panel at 350 watts.
https://us.sunpower.com/solar-panels-technology/e-series-solar-panels/
https://www.solarpanelstore.com/solar-power/large-solarpanels/panasonic-solar/panasonic-330w.html
much to my surprise sun power does not retail the panels. I was told by another vendor they only sell them to installers.

What is the highest wattage panel I can buy retail or can someone help me source some of the sunpower panels?

java

Expedition Leader
LG Neon2 are the best performing panels at the moment as far as I know. Come in sizes to just over 400W IIRC. I am planning on using two 400W on my truck. They should be available to you, let me know if not and I can point you to a retailer.

aernan

Observer
I'll give that a shot. I hope an installer would be comfortable selling the raw panel and not making profit on the install fees.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Because of shading, the ultimate weapon would be a fleet of 100w panels, each with its own controller. The cost and complexity might be daunting.

Beyond that, make the best compromise you can.

Rob Warren sells some very expensive, very high performance panels. The boaters are a bit more willing to pay the big $$$ because their real estate is so limited. https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.com

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Because of shading, the ultimate weapon would be a fleet of 100w panels

Not necessarily. It's all about the bypass diodes. The more the better for shade tolerance. Most 100w panels will have 2. My 300w Astroenergy has 6. As long as MPPT is used, it's electrically the same either way.

Those LG Neons also have 6. They either come in 60 cell (10 cells per bypass diode), or 72 cell (12 cells per bypass diode).

The Panasonic 330w sold by Costal Climate Control has 96 cells but only 4 bypass diodes (24 cells per bypass diode).

6 bypass diodes will be more shade tolerant than 4 (less voltage/energy lost per bypass).

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
But I would prefer a bunch of smaller panels for redundancy in case of breakage. I bought the 300w used because it was handy and cheap. Had I bought new, I would have bought 3 100w instead.

aernan

Observer
Ultimately I am limited by total surface area to mount the panels. I plan on using my panels to power an Air Conditioner so that means I will be parking in direct sunlight so shading is not a huge concern. I am also considering making it possible to set up additional panels off the vehicle so I can get best angle and boost the system. I guess it depends on space on the truck to transport them and their frame.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Ultimately I am limited by total surface area to mount the panels.....
well there in lies the question..... is these larger panels only saving someone space due to less framing? I DO NOT KNOW THAT ANSWER. anyone care to add their expertise on this? I get the feeling that may be the case..... size of each individual solar cell is not shrunk on larger panels is it?

Note: have seen that the 350w single panels are less expensive per watt than three 100wat panels (if 100watt purchased on sell, as in my case.)

I am going 1000watt (Ten 100watt panels paired into five 24v arrays ) cause will use it to help power my home when rig sits at home. Thought is to put switches on arrays to shut them out when not in use or badly shaded. Note in use..... aka... they are stacked above one another with one whole section able to slide out and act as awning for rig as well. Esp since have to park NOT in shade to get best use of the solar. Awning can be tilted to sun as well. So essentially only 500w available when in transport mode... and 1000w when parked long enough to do full setup.

aernan

Observer
well there in lies the question..... is these larger panels only saving someone space due to less framing? I DO NOT KNOW THAT ANSWER. anyone care to add their expertise on this? I get the feeling that may be the case..... size of each individual solar cell is not shrunk on larger panels is it?

Note: have seen that the 350w single panels are less expensive per watt than three 100wat panels (if 100watt purchased on sell, as in my case.)

I am going 1000watt (Ten 100watt panels paired into five 24v arrays ) cause will use it to help power my home when rig sits at home. Thought is to put switches on arrays to shut them out when not in use or badly shaded. Note in use..... aka... they are stacked above one another with one whole section able to slide out and act as awning for rig as well. Esp since have to park NOT in shade to get best use of the solar. Awning can be tilted to sun as well. So essentially only 500w available when in transport mode... and 1000w when parked long enough to do full setup.
that solar awning idea is very clever. I might copy it. That simplifies how to have an awning and how to generate lots of power on demand and how to protect the panels. Even after a hale store I will have a whole layer of good panels to work with.

Wyuna

Observer
i really like the idea of a slide out solar awning

it wouldn't be hard to fab up some adjustable legs to clamp into the body for extra support when out, like the fiamma awnings.

Coachgeo

Explorer
i really like the idea of a slide out solar awning

it wouldn't be hard to fab up some adjustable legs to clamp into the body for extra support when out, like the fiamma awnings.
think it will be more complicated than this. NO flex.... both in reality of construction and flex may harm panels it if it happens.

Wyuna

Observer
yeah ideally you want no flex, but i always tend to over think engineering, hensh the extra fold down awning legs to the body for extra support

Im looking forwards to seeing what you come up with, i've seen some in the past with electronic in/out controls

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles