High Output Alternator options?

lwg

Has anyone found a reputable vendor for a higher than stock output alternator? Specifically I need something for my D2. I currently have the P38 150A upgraded alternator but would like something with a little more oomph for my 2 Odyssey PC1500 batteries.

With a Google search I found Qualitypowerauto.com has a 220A version that looks appealing. But I know nothing about them other than what I found on the website.

lwg

It looks like they do have a couple of options. They have a 200A unit rated at 100+ amps at idle which is nice. Runs about $550 with a 2 year warranty. Might give that a try as I think my alternator is on its last legs. While is "passes" the bad alternator test it doesn't seem to want to put out more than about 13.5 volts in most cases. Only occasionally reaches 14.1v...

lwg

I picked up a 300a (200a at idle) .although my refrigerator lasts 4.5 days in summer heat on my Odyssey 1500- (62-68 amp hour aux) battery... and I never stay in one spot for that long...haha! Who knew... but Odysseus like high current charging...

I have a sneaky suspicion this is what's killing my Odyssey's... In a few weeks I'm going to go with the 200a option as I think it will last the longest and be sufficient for my needs.

Sent from my Toaster

lwg

Holy cow, that Perfect Switch rectifier is about $500! That's a bit rich for my needs. I really don't want to spend $1200 upgrading my charging and isolation system.

Sent from my Toaster

NCLR015

Adventurer
I had an Odyssey PC1500 in my D1. Thought was instead of going for dual batteries I'd get one big one. It worked fine for about 3 months shy of 4 years and it crapped out. I bought it from Expedition Exchange. I sent it down and they send a new one, no hassle or questions asked. It's been about 3 years now and it's going fine, my son now has the Disco. This is with a stock alternator. Great warranty.

I'm getting to the smaller is better state of mind. I'm putting an Odyssey PC2100 in the 99 Range Rover I now have in lieu of dual batteries.

I'm also buying an Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start XP-10. Has 600 amps, will fit in the spare tire well, glove box, under the seat, etc. I am putting a dual power port in the rear of the Range Rover for the cooler and XP-10.

When driving I'll plug it into the power port and at night I'll run it on the XP-10 battery. I can recharge the XP-10 during the day when driving. I found one on Amazon for $132.99. The Engel 45 draws a max of 2.7 amps so it should have no problem running it overnight for several nights.

Last edited:

meental

Observer
200w of solar should run you almost indefinitely, in full sun you should be getting atleast 10amps

Sent from my RTT while stargazing

lwg

That is what I thought... But during a grounding problem where I had to disconnect the alternator from charging my aux battery, in pretty hot Reno sun, my solar did not keep up with the refrigerator needs... I suspect something is not working on the solar... As soon as I get a chance I am going to check this out.

Thanks

D

What kind of controller are you running? A MPPT controller will give you the most power output. Also not all panels are created equally. I used Grape Solar panels from AM Solar and could get about 25 amps with a MPPT controller.

Sent from my Toaster

lwg

It looks like the most you'll ever pull out of those is about 11 amps. This is in near perfect conditions (tilted towards the sun, etc) and likely with a MPPT controller. That controller is only PWM. It'll work fine to be honest but they are not the most efficient controllers. However I'm not sure it's worth spending another $150 or so on a new controller for modest gains at best.

Sent from my Toaster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke