High Mileage Pentastar JKs?

Sinfuzz

A few forums have attempted asking this question, hoping there just aren't that many high-mileage owners seeing/replying in these posts because they're frustrating. Seeing a lot of "~50k miles on my JK no probs at all!" -I'd hope not, I'm at 175K on my 3.8 and it's running great, my dad's is over 230K and still running great.

Anyone on here deep into 6 digits with their Pentastar Wrangler?

I'm mostly interested because I'm thinking about moving from my 2dr 3.8 to a <50k 2013+ jku. My only hang up is not seeing many high mileage reports on them yet. The price range for a jku I want puts me right around the price of a clean but ~120K LC200. I feel like most of the reports so far are pretty good on the later pentastars and I've gotten pretty familiar with maintenance stuff on my Jeep. But, could I keep it going until 2035/40 like I feel like I could with an LC200?

I know I'm kind of asking two questions, just trying to give some context.

jadmt

ignore button user
guy on wrangler forum just reported turning 300,000 miles on his jk with 3.6. we have work vehicles with 3.6 that were well over 100,000 miles. I have seen lots of them with over 100,000 look at all the vans and rams running around with the 3.6. There are some 3.6 that have been plagued with oil filter cooler housing issues and some with a head issue but most of that stuff is not all that difficult or expensive to fix if you can turn a wrench.

Im not so sure you cant swing a really solid deal on a built JKU compared to a LC.
LC Im thinking you have to shop alot harder and longer and itll likely be stock.

Sinfuzz

Im not so sure you cant swing a really solid deal on a built JKU compared to a LC.
LC Im thinking you have to shop alot harder and longer and itll likely be stock.

That's valid, I just have different requirements for both vehicles that actually levels it out pretty good.

LC - Under 130k miles, decently clean (usually not an issue)
JKU - >2012 to avoid the early issues with the 3.6 I've seen, under 50k miles (preferably much under), 6-speed, saddle leather interior (katzkin might be able to replace this), Sahara or comparable with options, would prefer 3.73 or 4.10 gears but realizing I'll probably just need to regear immediately upon getting it since this seems to the criteria that pushes it too far/creates the mythic creature. Fwiw, my current jk is a sahara, 6-speed, with optioned in 4.10 and LSD. From all my VIN searching this thing has to be one of like 3 or something lol I've never seen another one and have searched hundreds at this point.

guy on wrangler forum just reported turning 300,000 miles on his jk with 3.6. we have work vehicles with 3.6 that were well over 100,000 miles. I have seen lots of them with over 100,000 look at all the vans and rams running around with the 3.6. There are some 3.6 that have been plagued with oil filter cooler housing issues and some with a head issue but most of that stuff is not all that difficult or expensive to fix if you can turn a wrench.

That's legit to hear. I did see a few Rams report 300,000 or close. Just wasn't sure if it was the same.

Last edited:

Shyer

A few forums have attempted asking this question, hoping there just aren't that many high-mileage owners seeing/replying in these posts because they're frustrating. Seeing a lot of "~50k miles on my JK no probs at all!" -I'd hope not, I'm at 175K on my 3.8 and it's running great, my dad's is over 230K and still running great.

Anyone on here deep into 6 digits with their Pentastar Wrangler?

I'm mostly interested because I'm thinking about moving from my 2dr 3.8 to a <50k 2013+ jku. My only hang up is not seeing many high mileage reports on them yet. The price range for a jku I want puts me right around the price of a clean but ~120K LC200. I feel like most of the reports so far are pretty good on the later pentastars and I've gotten pretty familiar with maintenance stuff on my Jeep. But, could I keep it going until 2035/40 like I feel like I could with an LC200?

I know I'm kind of asking two questions, just trying to give some context.
I sold my 2013 jku in December to get a gladiator and it had over 163k at the time. No issues

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Traded a 2014 (aug 2013 build) JKUR automatic with under 70k. Thing was great, comfy, capable, but engine ticked, 1st radiator replaced at 29k, always smelled like coolant, and had the oil cooler let go in the 40s. All fixed under warranty. Also had a 2015 JKUR, 6 speed, trans rattled a little in neutral but otherwise rock solid, sold under 50k miles when job changed and I ran a company van for a few years. Now have a 2018 JLUR 3.6 / 8spd and it is light years better than the 14 or 15. I loved the JKs but you couldn’t get me to go back to one.
My 2 cents... if you’re really a jeep person, the LC is tempting on paper but you’ll never love it. Driving a Jeep is about having fun. Driving an LC is like driving a reliable appliance. Theoretically comforting but totally soulless. Good luck ...

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Passing through 100k on my 2014 JKUR. Hasn’t been an experience in reliability but has basically met expectations for a lifted, overloaded, on and off road rig.

Brakes all around x2, ABS control module failed giving almost no brakes anywhere, oil cooler x2, several batteries, tie rod ends, shocks, spark plugs, thermostat x2, radiator cap, radiator maybe this week, eats tires like corn flakes, axles leak... I notice a heck of a lot of failing plastics under hood. I don’t think they chose wisely for plastics in desert heat. I would recommend finding a heat reduction hood unit.

The vehicle is basically holding up to the Just Empty Each Pocket mantra. I like it and it meets expectations. In about 4 years I’ll have a 200k commentary.

Last edited:

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I’ve got 198k on my Pentastar in a 2014 WK, Grand Cherokee Overland. Honestly, if I didn’t have life time warranty I’d be p$ssed.
it’s been pretty good for last few years but I ha lots of issues early on, but then I’ve had non-engine issues as well.

even with all the problems, my wife's next car will be Grand Cherokee, plus my son still has the 2004 WJ with well over 250k and running strong.

greg.potter

Adventurer
I have 209,000 km (130,000 m) on my 2012 JKUR. I had to rebuild the valve trains just after it was out of warranty - worn out camshafts. The service a divisor at the dealership told me that they had some problems with the early 3.6 Pentastars and that the valve train had gone though 5 design revision at the point at which I had the work done about 2 years ago now. I also had problems with the original manual 6 speed transmission. Under warranty the dealership rebuilt it twice then ended up replacing it with a new one. My JK has never left me stranded, but I have had it go into some sort of limp mode due to overheating in Central Mexico and in the Mojave desert. I don't have a heat reduction hood or vents and I don't have a mechanical radiator fan on it either. I was talking to Dan Grec at the BC Overland Rally last summer and he mentioned that he ran into heating problems early on in his Africa trip and had his JK fitted with a mechanically driven radiator fan, which he was told was standard on the JK's sold in Africa and the Middle East

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Interesting timing I was just looking at this Jeep today, to use here around the house in Tahoe. 175000 miles.
Appears all stock, the chrome has to go but could be fun to modify.

Hey Christian,

The 2010 has the earlier 3.8 V6 (NOT the Pentastar) - same engine I have and went around Africa with

They're commonly known as being very durable, but gutless. If it's an auto I wouldn't buy it if you paid me.

Also the higher mileage ones burn oil, stepping up to 10W30 helped mine a lot, but make sure you check it often! It seems most people that have issues with them don't check it regularly and let it get low.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I also had problems with the original manual 6 speed transmission. Under warranty the dealership rebuilt it twice then ended up replacing it with a new one.

That's fascinating. You have the same 6 speed as me (NSG 370) which is actually a Mercdes box (when I got a new clutch all the parts have Mercedes logos and part numbers...) The gearbox is well known for being reliable and not giving problems.
Mine has never given me cause for concern, just passing 170,000 miles.

My JK has never left me stranded, but I have had it go into some sort of limp mode due to overheating in Central Mexico and in the Mohave desert. I don't have a heat reduction hood or vents and I don't have a mechanical radiator fan on it either. I was talking to Dan Grec at the BC Overland Rally last summer and he mentioned that he ran into heating problems early on in his Africa trip and had his JK fitted with a mechanically driven radiator fan, which he was told was standard on the JK's sold in Africa and the Middle East

Remember mine is a 3.8Ltr, NOT a 3.6 Pentastar.
I didn't have overheating issues as such, it was heat-soaking. When running the engine never ever went over half on the gauge, but it would go higher after I turned the engine off. So I added the hood vents and fan to combat that. I have much lower under hood temps now.

The mechanical fan was standard on the 3.8 ltr JKs sold in the middle east - it's a Mopar part.
There was never a mechanical fan fitted to the 3.6 Pentastar JKs.

-Dan

rustypayne

Just passed 140k on my 2015 JKUR this weekend. Had radiator replaced in the first year but that's the only repair that's ever been done on it. Still mostly stock, run synthetic 5w20 and change every 5k. Maybe I should be knocking on wood but so far so good. The vast majority of my miles are around town on pavement since it's been my daily driver since I bought it new.

greg.potter

Adventurer
That's fascinating. You have the same 6 speed as me (NSG 370) which is actually a Mercdes box (when I got a new clutch all the parts have Mercedes logos and part numbers...) The gearbox is well known for being reliable and not giving problems.
Mine has never given me cause for concern, just passing 170,000 miles.

Remember mine is a 3.8Ltr, NOT a 3.6 Pentastar.
I didn't have overheating issues as such, it was heat-soaking. When running the engine never ever went over half on the gauge, but it would go higher after I turned the engine off. So I added the hood vents and fan to combat that. I have much lower under hood temps now.

The mechanical fan was standard on the 3.8 ltr JKs sold in the middle east - it's a Mopar part.
There was never a mechanical fan fitted to the 3.6 Pentastar JKs.

-Dan

Dan Grec,
Thanks for clarification regarding the mechanical fan being available for the 3.8 L only.

I should clarify - the engine didn't overheat. Similar to your situation the gauge was staying in the middle of the range from an engine coolant perspective but the under-hood temperature got hot to the point where it started causing a circuit or function malfunction. I can't remember now what the actual error code was. Five or ten minutes with the hood open and I could clear the fault code and the vehicle ran fine again. When it was overheated the ECU was limiting the engine to what felt like somewhere between 25 and 40 percent of normal output. I can see a heat reduction hood for desert trips in my future. Living in Albeta what would be really nice would be a vent that you could open for desert trips and the two months of summer that we get here, and close for the rest of the time.

As for the issues that I ran into with the manual 6 speed I attributed it to something off with the machining of the original transmission case which was noisy pretty well from when it was new. I have had no problems with the replacement unit.

Sinfuzz

My 2 cents... if you’re really a jeep person, the LC is tempting on paper but you’ll never love it. Driving a Jeep is about having fun. Driving an LC is like driving a reliable appliance. Theoretically comforting but totally soulless. Good luck ...

I'm feeling this way for sure, especially after last weeks trip driving door-less most of the time.

The 2010 has the earlier 3.8 V6 (NOT the Pentastar) - same engine I have and went around Africa with

They're commonly known as being very durable, but gutless. If it's an auto I wouldn't buy it if you paid me.

And this makes me feel like I'd be fine with a lower mileage 2010 or older with 4.10s or 4.37s and 33s or 34s. I like the older interior a little more anyway.. Also agree I would never go for an auto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles