High mileage Fuso

Sixinarow

Adventurer
How many miles would you consider too many?

Local dealer has a 2008 FG140 4x4 with almost 200k. Mostly light duty delivery driving in the mountains.

5-speed manual, $27500. Looks good in pics. I'm going to go look at it in person.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The problem with higher mileage vehicles is not necessarily the engine, it's the rest of the driveline components, seals and bearings.

boostin

Adventurer
I had a used 07fe140 for a little bit, it was a work truck, and I used it as a work truck but it had 550 000 km and I was amazed at how good of shape it was in, zero leaks, smooth in the highway, vibration free, tight steering, rattle free interior. And almost certain this truck was abused with minimal maintenance but was quite impressive for the km

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Thanks, guys. It was used to deliver mattresses so not really loaded but who knows how the drivers used/abused it. I'll look at it when I have a chance.

Decanter

Adventurer
How many miles would you consider too many?

Local dealer has a 2008 FG140 4x4 with almost 200k. Mostly light duty delivery driving in the mountains.

5-speed manual, $27500. Looks good in pics. I'm going to go look at it in person.

Is that the one I saw down at Bruckner a few weeks ago?

unkamonkey

Explorer
Not so much around here but some areas have issues with frame rust, especially if used as a snow plow or in areas where they use salt. I checked out FGs at CO Mack in Denver around 2000. A bare one was going for about $27,000 for a short frame. My '94 shows no rust but it is only at 84,000 now. About all of the maint I needed to do was normal things, fluids and filters and I had to replace the exhaust manifold many years ago. The dealer never heard of one cracking before...
Don't let a truck shop play with your tires. I just take mine in and do my own torquing after one shop screwed up several lug bolts and nuts.

Decanter

Adventurer
No. I was picking up a part for the truck and saw it sitting there. I've seen it on the truck trader for a few months now IIRC.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Thanks, guys. It was used to deliver mattresses so not really loaded but who knows how the drivers used/abused it. I'll look at it when I have a chance.

I can't speak to the high mileage (mine is a 2002 bought in 2008 with <50k), but mine came from the same area (Gunnison, CO) doing the same thing (furniture delivery) and zero issues with rust, etc. It needed a quart of oil and new wiper blades to drive 1200+ miles home

Sixinarow

Adventurer
I checked it out today and took it for a test drive. Seems pretty solid. Not abused from what I could see. Full service history and just had an oil change and inspection.

Has some rust on cab above windshield and on bumper. Some frame rust but not horrible.

Has an extension and one of the pieces of channel is bent. I'd cut that off anyway.

5-speed took a bit to get used to. 2nd was hard to find and tough to shift into.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I checked it out today and took it for a test drive. Seems pretty solid. Not abused from what I could see. Full service history and just had an oil change and inspection.

Has some rust on cab above windshield and on bumper. Some frame rust but not horrible.

Has an extension and one of the pieces of channel is bent. I'd cut that off anyway.

5-speed took a bit to get used to. 2nd was hard to find and tough to shift into.

Second gear can be a bit of fun to shift into until things are warmed up, as in several miles on the highway and then it shifts fine. First gear is fun to downshift to so working on your double clutching is needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles