High Efficiency Air Conditioning Units for non-generator powered campers

adam88

Explorer
We've decided on the Rollicool mini-split system. Not much in the efficiency department, but, might work for our application. Set the condenser on a 'drive-in' style tray off the side of the cabin/truck-bed and put the evaporator through a window. While driving, put the evap in front of my wife, and thread the hoses and cord out the window and set-up the condenser on the platform behind the cab; and plug into outdoor outlet. For $479 on Amazon and free shipping, pretty cheap for us to give it a shot. If it doesn't work for us, always have a garage that could use some cooling. Details to follow, it's on it's way.

https://rollibot.com/product/mini-split-ac-room-air-conditioner/

Definitely don't want to rain on your parade, but I have heard bad things about this unit. They sell a similar one at Costco. They are all made in China, are relatively low efficiency (I believe EER = 7) and I heard they have some problems leaking. Lots of complaints. Unfortunately these cheap mini-splits don't match up with the "REAL DEAL" mini splits from Mitsibushi or Fujitsu. Luckily amazon has a great return policy so you can try it and let us know and return it if it is junk.

Edit: Looks like the unit on amazon isn't sold by amazon. It is "Ships from and sold by Better Choice Online". Be careful!

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Well, we bought it; let it set for a couple days to settle the coolant and fired it up! Unfortunately, we have had a very wet summer here in northern Arizona, and the temps yesterday were not very high. However, it did do the job, set it up at 68 degrees, and it was cool in the cabin. The supplied window spacer stuff was installed and helped, the pics are with the high-tech window spacer clothing option. But, the spacer system does work with our Seitz S4 windows on the bottom. The condensing unit ran on and and off quite a bit, cycling more than I thought it should. However, again, it wasn't very warm outside, nor in the cabin. Anyway, didn't seem to draw down the batteries at all during the sunny day; they stayed at 100%. The solar pumped in 7.5 amps to the batteries while the unit was on, and usually around 2amps with no load. Need to run the unit for a long time for a more accurate assessment.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
I lowered the thermostat to 62 today, and the compressor kept on chugging away, very cold in our 16x7 foot camper~! Plus, when it regurgitated the condensation, very fun to watch. So far so good.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Where does all the heat go that the blanket chillers produce? 250w power = 250w heat pumped into the cab. Seems counterproductive to cool your body, but heat the surrounding air.
Good points... thanks for reminder to plumb the heat away. if one is using peltier (thermo electric) like the blanket it is not to hard to duct that outside... guess honestly not to hard to duct it out if one is using a compressor unit either just got to mount things in the right places to make ducting logical.

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Well, we bought it; let it set for a couple days to settle the coolant and fired it up! .....
Thinking on using a compressor type chiller (for aquariums) that also has to be settled before use..... what found finally was that about 13 degree off kilter is max it can handle before it must be settled again. Would not be surprised if yours is not very similar. That means a day of no use as it re-settles after every day of driving off road and even some on roads..... which defeats the purpose of having it just about..... unlesssss.... you mount it on some sort of gimble?

Last edited:

Britboaters

Observer
Has anyone got any experience with "Cruise n Comfort USA". They seem to have a "commercial grade" system desined for construction equipment. Their "HD12-L" is quoted as 7,000 btu, with a max draw of 46 amps, 12 volts. This gives a EER rating of about 13.
The unit seems to be robust, designed for a relatively hostile environment. Not cheap at about $3,000 plus dpending on model.
http://www.cruisencomfortusa.com/work-series/

patoz

Expedition Leader
Has anyone got any experience with "Cruise n Comfort USA". They seem to have a "commercial grade" system desined for construction equipment. Their "HD12-L" is quoted as 7,000 btu, with a max draw of 46 amps, 12 volts. This gives a EER rating of about 13.
The unit seems to be robust, designed for a relatively hostile environment. Not cheap at about $3,000 plus dpending on model.
http://www.cruisencomfortusa.com/work-series/

I just looked through their entire website and other than the price, I don't see anything wrong with their equipment. It looks to be well made using quality products. If my ambulance/camper didn't already have a factory installed 120V A/C system in it, I would be looking at installing one of these systems. However, I would be looking at one of their 9,000 or 10,000 BTU systems because I'm in Florida.

S2DM

Adventurer
anyone know what DC powered AC unit earthroamer is using on the new XV-HD? DC airco? Starting to design our new camper.

Our mini split mitsubishi 9k btu unit is working flawlessly. About 400 watts for cooling. I can easily run it all night.

Buffalobwana

Observer
I’m looking for a 24v unit, since my entire system is 24v.

Is there a huge loss of efficiency when running a 110v AC off an inverter as opposed to running a DC only AC?

I have a 24v 2000 watt pure sine inverter, it’s also a battery charger when hooked up to shore power or a generator.

So, if the generator was necessary at night to run the AC, it also charges the batteries (whether the system was 110vAC or 24vDC)

I did read as much of this thread as possible, but being 4 years old, there must be new products and more experience to add here.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Our mini split mitsubishi 9k btu unit is working flawlessly. About 400 watts for cooling. I can easily run it all night.
What model is it and what are the specs? What are you powering it with (how many ah of battery do you have) how much does it draw, do you need a generator at night, how much solar do you run?

Buffalobwana

Observer
First time I saw these Mitsubishi units was in Botswana. It was a 240v unit though. I thought they were slick designs. And very effective!

That was over 12 years ago though.

S2DM

Adventurer
What model is it and what are the specs? What are you powering it with (how many ah of battery do you have) how much does it draw, do you need a generator at night, how much solar do you run?

MFZ-KJ09NA

Its 230v and I use a separate inverter. I've been told that HVAC doesnt really start to get efficient until around 48v DC for a bunch of reasons. I tried the dometic 12V blizzard unit for trucks and was extremely underwhelmed.

My bank is 9.6kwh (800ah @12V) and I have 1350 watts of solar.

I used the rectorseal no kink stuff to avoid work fatigue in the copper from the vibration.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010M22SOG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

john61ct

Adventurer
There are some very efficient units out there especially Europe and down under, accepting a DC feed is by no means the critical factor especially factoring in value for money.

Excellent insulation, tightly sealed envelope etc is most important

As is getting the BTU sizing right, so the compressor runtime duty cycle stays in a moderate range even at extreme ambients.

Frigomar's variable speed brushless inverter tech is apparently amazing, their 16000btu unit uses under 1400W, without any big startup surge.

Yes marine units, benefit from water heat exchange, but as a point of comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles