High Efficiency Air Conditioning Units for non-generator powered campers

mowen632

Hey all,

new to the forum but I'm diving into this topic for a Step van conversion. This thread is the best I've found so far with details about running a mini-split system (particularly from batteries). Thank you all for the feedback on your systems and especially energy usage.

I was looking for the highest efficiency mini-split and it appears to be this Gree Saphire 9000 which should be more than enough for our space (100sqft) and should be ~R14-R20 all around. This would require running a separate 230v Inverter to power it. I probably can't post links but I'll try (LINK).

My question is has anyone attempted or succeeded in getting hot water out of a heat pump like this? trying to avoid propane in the rig so looking at all-electric but electric hot water heating is too much to do from batteries. Hot water heat pumps are super-efficient and used in residential a lot. So I was looking for combination systems that could make hot water, and provide heating/cooling inside (from air, not hydronic heating) but they don't seem to exist.

I was considering if I could take the Gree heat pump and intercept the compressor outlet, route it through a water-water heat exchanger and then back to the reversing valve. This would allow for me to circulate some water through the heat exchanger and back to a hot tank. As far as I can tell this would actually improve your efficiency and upper limit for your cooling range when cooling inside on hot days.

When operating as a heat pump it would absorb some of the heat that is headed for the inside coil. If you needed to prioritize air heating you could easily turn off the circulating pump and it should have no effect on the efficiency of the system. once things are warm enough you restart it, some of the BTUs go into the water and some likely continue to be extracted from the inner coil into the van.

Am I missing something here on why this couldn't work? it seems like its so easy there has to be a reason a company hasn't combined these together in a single unit. I see it as basically just adding some pipe length to the system when the water isn't flowing. It shouldn't impact the system at all. When water is circulated, it could help or hurt the output of the interior coil but you are putting heat into the water so overall system efficiency is likely similar?

I appreciate any thoughts!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    138.7 KB · Views: 37

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles