High Amp weatherproof connection for Truck bed

Amp34

I want to be able to install and uninstall a second battery in the bed of my F-150 and have something neat when the system is not in use. I was originally thinking a Powerwerx connector: https://powerwerx.com/panelpole-pan...FmP3JVm_zwiVsJBhtopr8PoOMJaQCYXRoCKPUQAvD_BwE

But then realized I can’t use 4 AWG wire with those connections. Ideally I’m looking for something similar to the trailer hitch connection, but rated for 50A.

Alternatively I could use the SB connections and store the Truck side connection in a small box built into the side of the bed. Unfortunately I haven’t found any of them yet.

Any suggestions on either? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 9101

How about the connectors that they use for trolling motors?

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes trolling motor plugs, but they are rather obscure / proprietary.

I like TE/Deutsch brand for truly waterproof, DTP style goes to 25A for example, but they have got much bigger.

john61ct

Adventurer
Well OP did say waterproof was required.

But perhaps not, is what you're saying?

I haven't seen third-party boots for the SB line, just powerpoles.

dreadlocks

I haven't seen third-party boots for the SB line, just powerpoles.

dreadlocks

I dont follow, what added fittings?

the connection is waterproof when connected, or disconnected..IP64
sb175-environmental-boot-with-cover-source-side_1_580.jpg

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Anderson connectors will work perfectly in this scenario. They don't need to be waterproof. They are self cleaning upon connection by design. All a "waterproof" connection in the bed of a truck is asking for is to corrode when the cap is all closed tight due to humidity.

dreadlocks

I agree with @Bayou Boy, use tinned cabling if possible, mebe a dust boot for the back side to keep crap out (they make those too) or just marine shrink wrap and don't worry about it, rain is not conductive enough to short out 12vdc so you basically need to keep junk out of it, which could just be a dummy plug really or one of the many dust caps, like this or this

Amp34

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, I don't need waterproof connections, just a receptacle/plug that is weather/dust proof (i.e. I want a cap so when I wash the bed out, or stick skis/bikes/kayaks/gravel/mulch/wood in the bed I don't damage the plug when it's not in use).

The SB series Powerpoles is currently top of my list, but need to work out how I can use them without having a piece of wire dangling in the bed permanently (which will catch everything as they always do). They don't seem to have any sort of receptacle/plug system like the smaller ones.

The 15-336 looks ideal, but it's apparently rather large, and I'm not sure I have the space for the connection behind the bed. I'll look into trawling motors.

The other option I'm wondering about is going back to the 45A standard power poles and the Powerpole connector in the OP, but splitting the #4 wire before it gets to the connector into two lighter wires, then using both sets of plugs on the connector. At the second battery end I could just do the opposite and join two lighter wires to a #4 cable going to the DC/DC charger/battery. Should be able to keep the voltage drop to a minimum by splitting the current over two wires while for safety keeping the overall current below the rating on each individual Powerpole/wire. Would I need a fuse on each smaller wire, or would just a single fuse at each end of the larger cable be enough?

dreadlocks

just bolt the SB to the side of the truck bed, groomet protecting the wire.. it's got a bolt hole through the middle of it.. or bolt it to a lil piece of angle iron as a bracket.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I would suggest a suitably sized circuit breaker as close to the starter battery for safety as well as being to isolate the wire run to the back of bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior