High Altitude Trailers / Earthship Overland

jd1zzle

My wife and I were just at Off-Grid Expo, and saw these guys. I really love their design/build quality. If you wanna check it out:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justkelvin

My wife and I were just at Off-Grid Expo, and saw these guys. I really love their design/build quality. If you wanna check it out:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Replying to old thread but maybe will help someone, I looked at 2 of these fiberglass trailers , both 21 models. The first one had been to Alaska for 1 trip and the frame had broke where it angles at the front of the trailer to the tongue. They said the company put it on a trailer and had it delivered back to them and patched it. Also had to replace galley door for separation issues, already separating again after 1 year. Both side doors were extremely hard to get to close properly. The second one I looked at I told the guy the story on the first one and looking at the frame the welds were very poor and didn't look like they penetrated the metal at all. Just a buyer beware.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

So you are saying the welds on the chassis ( frame) ? I have not heard of issues like this on any other HATCO trailers. My first impression when I saw this model was the chassis tubing seemed small but it is a light trailer. I guess it's possible they had a bad welder and during covid good welders were hard to find. Also is it possible the owner beat the sheet out of it driving to AK. Rough roads. I was told they do weld the chassis in house. If I was looking at a HATCO I would do some research and see if others have had these issues as well as the warranty on the chassis. I feel like if a trailer is this expensive they should offer 5 years.

I know Doug at Earthship mother land is a straight up guy.

Looked at the warranty on website. 1 year for original owner on the physical trailer i.e. chassis, failed welds, stressed or fatigued members, broken tabs, fiberglass items, windows, doors, tires, axles, jacks, couplers, awnings, and electrical fixtures and/or components. Paint is not covered under this warranty.

Also looks like technically buyer has to pay to get trailer to repair facility.

Some of the components are longer from each manufacturer.

I will say that to my knowledge no respectable manufacturer has a worse warranty. This is typical of a Elkhart mass produced trailer but very week for a craft built off road rig.

For example another CO built off roader offers a lifetime warranty on thier chassis.

I believe there was a recall on a tire mount not being welded correctly. This may actually speak to them doing the right thing.

Hope I am not beating a dead horse here and I am not a chassis engineer. If you look at the following pictures I just wonder if there should be a cross member in the A frame. Plz correct me if I am wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127_114900_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127_114900_Google.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20240127_113910_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127_113910_YouTube.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 18

justkelvin

So you are saying the welds on the chassis ( frame) ? I have not heard of issues like this on any other HATCO trailers. My first impression when I saw this model was the chassis tubing seemed small but it is a light trailer. I guess it's possible they had a bad welder and during covid good welders were hard to find. Also is it possible the owner beat the sheet out of it driving to AK. Rough roads. I was told they do weld the chassis in house. If I was looking at a HATCO I would do some research and see if others have had these issues as well as the warranty on the chassis. I feel like if a trailer is this expensive they should offer 5 years.

I know Doug at Earthship mother land is a straight up guy.
I actually saw the repair and door seperation on trailer1 and the bad welds on trailer 2. I agree completely about the owners may have beat it to death, just putting g this out there as info someone might need. I was saddened because I had pretty much decided on that mode trailer.

DFNDER

Isn’t beating a trailer to death an expected level of use for an overland trailer? With other builders offering lifetime chassis warranties, no way would I touch one of these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior