High altitude capability of Espar Hydronic 2 vs 3

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the Espar manual and researching online all night and I'm afraid I'm still confused :rolleyes:. Here is my issue:

I'm trying to decide between the Espar Hydronic 3 D5E and the Hydronic 2 D5E. I wrote to Espar and corresponded with them and ended up even more confused! We are planning extended travel throughout various climates and therefore need a heater capable of operating at higher altitudes occasionally. Espar told me we had to use the Hydronic 2 but I was leaning towards the Hydronic 3 and I can't figure out why it's not capable of operating at higher altitudes (the Espar product catalog doesn't mention specifically that it can't but the Espar rep told me I HAD to use the Hydronic 2. Also the heatso website says the 3 isn't capable of operating above 1500 meters).

Does anyone know what the real deal is because honestly the various Espar manuals I have contradict themselves and online info seems difficult to come by.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer!

loonwheeler

Adventurer
AFAIK, the Espar units have two options for dealing with operating at high altitudes. A different fuel pump or a high altitude sensor that is external to the heater. I have the latter which is wired between the controller and the heater.

Is it possible the Hydronic 3 is not compatible with the high altitude sensor?

AFAIK, the Espar units have two options for dealing with operating at high altitudes. A different fuel pump or a high altitude sensor that is external to the heater. I have the latter which is wired between the controller and the heater.

Is it possible the Hydronic 3 is not compatible with the high altitude sensor?

That's the million dollar question I can't seem to answer!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The H3 is HAK compatible (I have one). I am not familiar with the later models.

I have never tried, but it should be possible to change the fuel pumps stroke to reduce the volume by say 20%. This would reduce the heaters output, but would prevent sooting up at higher altitudes.

There is discussion of adjustment down this page a ways.

https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/eberspacher_fuel_2.html

You would need to take a baseline using the pump tests from the service manual. Then adjust the pump to reduce volume by the desired amount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94