Hiding a spare key

krick3tt

Adventurer
How would secure or 'hide' a spare key for an LR as they have that big box to deal with and it does recharge the key's battery when in the ignition that would be defeater if not used for some time.

douglastic

I agree - stash only a key blade that lets you into the Rover door.
A full key fob stashed/hidden in an interior cubby could then start the vehicle.

As far as I understand, a battery is not needed to start the Rover with the fob key - the "handshake" is passive.
The battery only powers the fob lock/unlock/buttons.

I suppose you could rotate your fobs to keep the stashed one topped up if you want, but should not be necessary.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I have a key with a chip to unlock and start the tuck but it has no buttons on it. I keep it under the rear bumper in a magnetic box. Ill see if I can get the part number when I get home.

Dogpilot

I usually leave the Valet key, ie, blade no fob tie wrapped to one of the wire bundles to the tail lights. I don't personally care for magnetic boxes, they do work, but it also screams "KEY!" to an experienced thief feeling around your bumper. You can, on the newer Land Rovers, get the Activity Key, which is a wrist band that will simply unlock your vehicle if you hold it to the rear tailgate. It is cheaper if you order it concurrently with the vehicle. Apparently, if your order it concurrently at this point in time, it will delay delivery of your vehicle due to some kind of chip shortage. The band is waterproof and seems like a cool item, should they ever come available, but I do not know what absurd price they will want for it in the future. Presently they claim something like $176 for it, being un-obtanium it may end up being more. The actual FOB can end up being waaaay more than that.
fob.jpg

garrycol

I store my spare fob in a secret spot inside the car. I have had a spare blade cut and it is stored in a magnetic box that sits on top of the chassis under the drivers seat. If I have an issue the I use the spare blade to unlock the emergency door (you do need to ensure this is maintained and works) then access the spare fob key in the car to start and operate the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz