Hi strength WHEELS, where?

Abitibi

Explorer
Method race hole, 3600lbs rating. That's what I run on mine and love them. Mine is anywhere from 9800 to 10600lbs depending what I'm carrying.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Wow! I'm going to ask what will probably be an unpopular question...... Have you considered going back to duals in the rear? It might actually work out cheaper in the end, if you can find skinny enough 37's......

I would have stayed with a dually config but I couldn't do it without swapping axles. The rear needed a bolt pattern conversion AND would need a spacer to make big tires fit. That's a no-no. That and finding skinny tall tires is practically impossible. There was a Chinese knock-off of some tall skinny XMs but they ended up stupid expensive (for knock-offs) and finding them is problematic. If I need a tire I want to buy a tire, no go on a Quest for Rubber. And they only came in a 36", and I wanted 37s dangit! :)

But reading what I wrote about my pigs weight isn't making sense. I said 7400# in the rear but as I recall it's total is around 10,400. That split doesn't seem right. I need to dig up my old weight slip or get it reweighed.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'm sitting at about 3000 lbs on the front axle and 6000 on the rear... and I've got less weight in the back than it originally did. Not to mention 700 lbs heavier on the driver's side rear than the passenger side (DS=3350 lbs/PS=2650 lbs). So... if you had an extra 1000 lbs of upgrades (not to mention the bigger Ambo box), 3850 lbs would be a bare minimum. If you factor in you may have all your vehicle weight on one rear wheel if in an off camber steep upgrades... I'd not be counting on where the failure point of some rims could be.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir, but hold true in your quest.

E350, 7.3, Type 3, tad bigger than a mini-mod, duallies.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Hey David,

Are yours lug, or hub centric?

Eric

Method race hole, 3600lbs rating. That's what I run on mine and love them. Mine is anywhere from 9800 to 10600lbs depending what I'm carrying.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

FDM2012

Adventurer
Hey Tom,

I have been pondering all of this a lot lately, as well. As our rigs our nearly the same in weight, I am very interested in this conversation.

Question: Since the tires/rims are resting on the ground, shouldn't we subtract their scale weight from the equation
of rim load rating? Does that make sense?

Ex: If you rest just the rear end of your rig on the scale, without rims and tires, your rig would probably be around 7000lbs. Yes?
So, 3500lbs-ish per rim. That is kind of how I am looking at it. Of course, I am blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other one....

If I remember right, fully loaded before my trip last December, my rear weighed in at 7350.

Before I commit to buying tires, I will probably go talk to someone at an axle shop about that, and lug/hub centrics.

I picked up these -34 lug centric Cragars for $100. I am hoping to run them on Toyo 35's (4:10 gears) all the
way around. They are rated at 3650.

IMG_20170514_215207.jpg

I'm thinking I would be just fine, so long as I don't go too heavy with pulling a trailer.

Or, I will order the steel spacers and run the same Toyo's on duallies.
http://www.wheeladapter.com/dually_spacers.php

More homework.......

I would have stayed with a dually config but I couldn't do it without swapping axles. The rear needed a bolt pattern conversion AND would need a spacer to make big tires fit. That's a no-no. That and finding skinny tall tires is practically impossible. There was a Chinese knock-off of some tall skinny XMs but they ended up stupid expensive (for knock-offs) and finding them is problematic. If I need a tire I want to buy a tire, no go on a Quest for Rubber. And they only came in a 36", and I wanted 37s dangit! :)

But reading what I wrote about my pigs weight isn't making sense. I said 7400# in the rear but as I recall it's total is around 10,400. That split doesn't seem right. I need to dig up my old weight slip or get it reweighed.

Last edited:

WUzombies

Adventurer
Do you have enough lift/clearance to run a CMV tire/wheel combo? I don't have the charts in front of me, but I think they get down to 20" rim diameters. Then you're going to be dealing with combinations with weight ratings that will be stronger than the rest of the van.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Dont think it works that way Eric. Everything gets counted. The tire is supporting its own weight as well as the rim and everything else. If there is a deduction anywhere it may be that the rim is not supporting all of the tires weight, but I would imagine that deduction is going to be small enough to not matter, if it exists at all.

Given a choice I'd go with hub centric because I'd much rather have it supporting all that load than the lugs. I just want those to keep the tire attached to the axle.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Do you have enough lift/clearance to run a CMV tire/wheel combo? I don't have the charts in front of me, but I think they get down to 20" rim diameters. Then you're going to be dealing with combinations with weight ratings that will be stronger than the rest of the van.

Not sure I'm familiar with this. Link somewhere?

FDM2012

Adventurer
Yeah, I was asking that primarily in regard to the rim rating. Just wondering,,,,,

Dont think it works that way Eric. Everything gets counted. The tire is supporting its own weight as well as the rim and everything else. If there is a deduction anywhere it may be that the rim is not supporting all of the tires weight, but I would imagine that deduction is going to be small enough to not matter, if it exists at all.

Given a choice I'd go with hub centric because I'd much rather have it supporting all that load than the lugs. I just want those to keep the tire attached to the axle.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Anyway, I bought a set of Goodyear MT/R Durawalls Load range E. These are 4,500 lb tires. Thats way more than I would need. I'm guessing the rims are the limiting factor at this point but can probably survive a bit more pressure.

WUzombies

Adventurer
Not sure I'm familiar with this. Link somewhere?

Wheels and tires for Commercial Motor Vehicles, something in the Class 4-6 (maybe Class 7) range might work. There are a number of manufactures and fitments, here is a jump off point:

https://www.amazon.com/Alcoa-19-5-W..._9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1494945324&sr=1-9

there are other wheels in different sizes and fitments. Alcoa is one of the largest manufactures. As for tires, there are many options, the problem will be finding a tire that actually fits under your van. The issue is that you're stepping away from the weight ratings that would be typical for what is considered a "light truck" application and wanting weight ratings that delve into CMV territory. You'll find that everything is much more expensive.

http://www.michelintruck.com/tires-and-retreads/selector/#!/info/xza-17.5-&-19.5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles