Hi Mileage Tundra? Owner Opinions Wanted

D

Deleted member 9101

There are several documented cases of these trucks going over 1M miles with relatively veryfew repairs. For every one that hit 1M miles there are probably dozens that have hit 500k.

I wouldn't say "several" have hit a million miles... More like 2-3... Which makes them a statistical outlier.

I had a 2nd gen Tundra for about a year. While it gave me very few problems, the guy that bought it from me has had to replace the tranny and have the rear end rebuilt. The truck might have had 200k on it.

beef tits

I wouldn't say "several" have hit a million miles... More like 2-3... Which makes them a statistical outlier.

I had a 2nd gen Tundra for about a year. While it gave me very few problems, the guy that bought it from me has had to replace the tranny and have the rear end rebuilt. The truck might have had 200k on it.

1621122318604.png
?‍♂️

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Most dependable truck I ever drove was a '92 Hino with a non-electronic Allison. It was a four cylinder diesel. It was a tilt cab with a 14' box out back. I drove it heavily loaded in start/stop traffic and never cooled the turbo down. Total repairs were an ignition switch,head gasket,door lock and normal wear items like brakes. It had enormous drum brakes and stopped on a dime. 240K. I retired and it's still running 11 yrs later at work.
The worst was my '85 Toyota 4x4 truck. 22R engine ate 2.5 qts of oil every 3K. Toyota wouldn't touch it nor my two friends. "Within specs." One friend marched out front of Toyota of Carlsbad with a sign saying "How much oil does your Toyota use in 3K miles? Ask me how much mine burns? He was asked to leave but wouldn't. After a few days he got a new shortblock and drove it another 200K. No issues. The tech said they had lots of them but Toyota wouldn't own up to it. My other friend and I traded ours in on a Chevy 2500 and a Ford F-250 respectively and had great luck with them.
That being said I'd buy a Tundra today for the most reliable truck out there.

Hummelator

Adventurer
I bought my 07 tundra at 178,000KM on the ODO. Now has 330,000+ KM. The only issues I've had other than basic maintenance was a starter went around 300,000 and I broke a leaf spring ( my fault- truck was way overloaded)
Sure the fuel mileage is terrible but it has been a great truck.

billiebob

I have bought/owned high mileage (200k+) trucks my entire life. You cannot go wrong with a clean, stock Toyota that has had mediocre or better care and maintenance.
This ^^^^

They are great trucks when the price is right.
Clean, rust free, full maintenance records and the mileage is not a huge issue but you can expect maintenance costs to increase exponentially as you add miles. If you put 12K miles a year on, it is a great choice. If you put 24K miles a year on, you might be better starting with low mileage...... that said if the price is right.

Watt maker

I’ve owned several toyotas over the years and currently own a 2017 Tundra and a couple 4runners. We pull our 30’ grand design trailer and my dad’s fishing boat with the tundra and it does good. The only issue with mine was the stereo went out. Not a huge deal since I usually upgrade the sound system in my vehicles anyway. Some folk complain about the mpg but I honestly don’t think it’s too bad. I have 34” all terrain tires and still get 16.5 hand calculated on the freeway and about 13 in the city. It’s actually the same mpg as the 5.3 chevy I once owned and better than the f150 ecoboost I owned before this tundra but not as hungry as the lifted and supercharged 383 chevy truck from years ago I had. It is what it is. I do enjoy driving it and the note from the TRD dual exhaust is intoxicating. Aftermarket support for these tundras is pretty good as well.

If the tundra in question has been maintained properly and the price is right, I wouldn’t hesitate buying it. There are a few things to look out for when looking at these tundras. First off, if you live in the rust belt, thoroughly look underneath for rust in the bed channels and the truck frame itself. If it’s rusty, I’d probably pass. Next, I’d check the steering rack, specifically the inside tie rod boots of signs of a leaking rack. Not too bad to change out but it’s time consuming and most shops charge an arm and leg to change it. Next is the camshaft tower for signs of leaking. These can be observed by looking through the front wheel wells to the engine. These are usually no more than a seep but are a pain to fix and can be expensive. Of course, if someone was sloppy pouring in new oil, it’ll run down the valve cover and camshaft tower and look like a leak on the driver side. Next, make sure it shifts in and out of 4 wheel drive, hi and low range. These actuators can get sluggish with that much time/ mileage. Of course, with that much mileage there could be a few more things worn like bushings, bearings, brakes, etc., so check it out. These tundras have relatively low payload capacity compared to other new trucks. However, in my experience, they seem to actually handle the weight/trailers better than other trucks I’ve owned and towed with. The other downside to that year of tundra is the small fuel tank. It’s only 26 gallon and you’ll burn through it fairly quickly towing. This isn’t the end of the world if you don’t mind stopping. You can also upgrade/install the 38 gallon tank from the current generation of tundras or go with a 45 gallon tank from TransferFlow or Long Range Automotive, of course you can also just carry some 5 gallon gas cans.

xzalt

I sold my 2012 CM with about 110k and never had any issues, and have nothing to add to what others have shared on their experiences or. common issues/frustrations.

One thing I will add is that I had a Platinum and the rear seats folded top down like an SUV/van vs the bottom up. This didn’t work super great for us as then my dog was standing on the seats instead of the floor. It also didn’t allow for a lot of floor space when I had a big box to transport and didn’t want it in the bed.

Only only other annoyance was that on the Platinum the stock rear camera doesn’t have reverse lines. Just made parking in the city parking lot daily annoying. From my research this is only a Platinum “feature”.

I now have a Sequoia and the CM rear seat had way more room in comparison.

For towing mine didn’t have a factory brake controller. I now have a Redarc Tow Pro Elite in the Sequoia and it was about a 20 min install in a factory blank spot and has been great so far.

WVI

Adventurer
Thanks for the great input folks!
I may just look around some more, as I've come across an 08 Limited that looks showroom new with many less miles.
As for the fuel consumption, it prolly not as bad as my E350!

rruff

Explorer
Some folk complain about the mpg but I honestly don’t think it’s too bad. I have 34” all terrain tires and still get 16.5 hand calculated on the freeway and about 13 in the city.

Curious which tires? My Hankook ATMs roll very well also (better than stock), but they quit making them...

Watt maker

Curious which tires? My Hankook ATMs roll very well also (better than stock), but they quit making them...

I‘m running 295/70/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have about 40k miles on them and I’d say they’re about 50% worn. They’re quiet and smooth, very easy to balance with very little weight. I also run them on our 2014 4runner, which has been all over the country-both on pavement and dirt, and they’ve been great. They are a heavy tire though but, knock on wood, we have yet to puncture a sidewall.

Years ago I also ran the Hankook ATM on my 2008 4runner. Picked them up super cheap from discount tire after a mixup from what I originally ordered (BFG KO2). I didn’t plan to run them that long (lasted about 80k miles) but they turned out to be really good tires. Never really had an issue with them. I also liked that they were more narrow than other tires in the same size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior