Hi Mileage Tundra? Owner Opinions Wanted

WVI

Adventurer
Good Day All.
I'm seeking opinions from Tundra owners on the site.
I'm considering the purchase of a 2011 Tundra Crew Max 4x4.
It's equipped with the 5.7 V8.
It was a one owner truck and has about 225K on it.

I like opinions on if this is something I should steer away from due to the miles.
It's in excellent shape, and appears to be well cared for.
I intend to use it to tow our 21" Heartland TT at times, and for just a daily driver and travel down the road.
I like about everything I read about theses.

I only know one person who has owned one. He traded it off on a new Chevy 4x4 a couple years ago,
He misses his tundra. It had over 200K when he traded it. He had it a few years, and didn't baby it. Never an issue. Used no oil. Towed great.

I'm looking for advice and opinions on these with hi milage.
Thanks

86scotty

Cynic
Before 100 people chime in and tell you you should just plop down $50k on a new Ram or F150 instead, it's a wonderful truck with very few shortcomings. If you can live with the marginal fuel mileage and you are within the tow limits you'll love it. If you have to have the newest tech and backscratchers you might not. I love my 2012 Platinum. Is this a Crewmax or extra cab?

WVI

Adventurer
I'd not buy a new truck!
I like simple.
This is a Crewmax..4:30 in the diff.
The last truck I had with that many miles was my 06 Ram 3500...and I put all the miles on it.
I'm just wondering about the drive train longevity.

rruff

Explorer
I'm considering the purchase of a 2011 Tundra Crew Max 4x4.
It's equipped with the 5.7 V8.
It was a one owner truck and has about 225K on it.

Overall highest reliability rating for that year (via CR). Only problem area is the fuel system...? Always a good idea to thoroughly check it out first or pay someone to do it. There is a much higher % of high mileage Tundras and Tacomas on the road than any other makes.

How much $$$?

Toyota Tundra Reliability - Consumer Reports.png

Reactions: WVI
D

Deleted member 9101

It'll probably run longer than you'll want to keep it. The problem is with things like suspension and steering...

86scotty

Cynic
I'd not buy a new truck!
I like simple.
This is a Crewmax..4:30 in the diff.
The last truck I had with that many miles was my 06 Ram 3500...and I put all the miles on it.
I'm just wondering about the drive train longevity.

Mine is Crewmax too. I’m asked because I basically chose my second generation Crewmax (same as what you are looking at) over the newer one due to the rear seat. Yours will have a sliding and reclining split bench with lots of storage behind when you fold it forward/down. The 2013(?) is a fold up from floor model you can’t get behind without hacking it.

I love my 2012. Did I say that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVI

Adventurer
Thanks rruff.
Jnich77, what kind of steering issues?
86, the back doors and the room provided is why I'm looking at that version!

I will look it over well.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Pretty much all the Toyota engines are done at 350k. So figure you have 120k of ok reliability left. Then its scrap.

beef tits

I have bought/owned high mileage (200k+) trucks my entire life. You cannot go wrong with a clean, stock Toyota that has had mediocre or better care and maintenance.

Unless it was abused which is usually obvious, the most you’ll have to do on a high mileage 5.7 is radiator/hoses/water pump/pulleys/drive belt/maybe cam cover gaskets. Not a big deal. I did mine all in a weekend along with a full fluid flush and my 2010 Tundra 5.7 (220k) is the most solid reliable truck I’ve owned that also has great power. I don't foresee any maintenance on this thing other than oils/fluids for the next 220k. Runs like a new one (I have driven a new one)

There are several documented cases of these trucks going over 1M miles with relatively veryfew repairs. For every one that hit 1M miles there are probably dozens that have hit 500k. I'd take a 200k Toyota over a brand new chevy/ford/dodge ANY day of the week.

Last edited:

beef tits

Most main bearings fail in the 350 range. The 22RE most of those die of exhaust heat cooking the port side long before they see 350k driven hard and poor exhaust temp management

You're generalizing, in an overly general way.

I've owned plenty of 22REs over 300k without issues as long as the timing chain guides were replaced. The 4.7/5.7/3.4 are very stout motors, I've never had to overhaul one. Most I ever had to do was a valve job on a 3.4 where the last mechanic re-used an old timing belt tensioner during a belt service, the tensioner failed. Personal highest mileage is 480k on a 3.4. You can actually fix stupid, but it's best to avoid it to begin with.

D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks rruff.
Jnich77, what kind of steering issues?
86, the back doors and the room provided is why I'm looking at that version!

I will look it over well.

Suspension and steering components wear out over time/mileage. If they shocks, ball joints, and bushings are orginal odds are they need to be replaced.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You're generalizing, in an overly general way.

I've owned plenty of 22REs over 300k without issues as long as the timing chain guides were replaced. The 4.7/5.7/3.4 are very stout motors, I've never had to overhaul one. Most I ever had to do was a valve job on a 3.4 where the last mechanic re-used an old timing belt tensioner during a belt service, the tensioner failed. Personal highest mileage is 480k on a 3.4. You can actually fix stupid, but it's best to avoid it to begin with.

Your assuming typical vehicle owners actually maintain, operate and pay attention to these vehicles lol. Yeah your in the 1% for that factor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior