Hi-Lift Problems / Malfunctions

Fifthpro

Adventurer
SAR Squid79,
What you experienced with your HLJ is really quite common. It is the Cross Pin Spring and Cross Pin that is not functioning properly.
Maintenance is the key to prevent this but if it happens again there is a simple field fix that will allow you to continue with your recovery/jacking. I do suggest that you try this with a un-loaded HLJ first to see how it works mechanically before trying this in the middle of the night in poring rain. Keep in mind all of the safety concerns and the fact that a loaded HLJ requires 150 lbs to lower step by step or it will simply slide and drop your load.
When you are lowering the load, often times the "climbing pins" will bind in the holes of the main bar. This is a result of being exposed to the elements, gathering road grime, etc. When this happens all you have to do is grab a Leatherman Tool or Needle Nose Pliers and grab the pin and pull it into position, it will click and allow you to move the handle again, lowering the load on stop. Repeat as necessary until your load is no longer on the HLJ. Again for safety sake and so you do not hurt yourself, try this while the HLJ in not under load first but the next time it does you will not be slowed down, just whip out a Leatherman Tool and you are back into operation.
Of course this is a Band Aid fix to a larger problem, the bound pin…..Prior to every 4x4 excursion I go through a “Pre Run Check” of my rig and all recovery gear (of course I have a Post Run checklist as well). When it comes to recovery gear I check for accountability and to ensure that all gear is functional. This includes climbing up on my TJ and pulling off my HLJ from the roof rack, lube and inspect it. (THis may be asking to much for some folks I guess but I can not afford for a piece of gear to fail when I need it so I will go the extra mile.)
Obviously, the amount of crap the HLJ is exposed to the greater chance of grim binding the cross pin and climbing pin spring. By having it mounted on my roof rack it is exposed to the elements 24/7 and has direct contact with sand, dirt and mud. For those who mount he HLJ on the front of their bumper the amount of crap it gets exposed to increases, simply due to the proximity to the road. Other choose the rear of the vehicle in a verity of mounting locations. Those with horizontal mounts on the bumper get the Full Monty of road grim and dirt. If a poll was taken I would assume that those with the HLJ mounted there suffer from more HLF failures but that is just my guess.
As far as cleaning and lubricating; you can/should use white lithium grease, light penetrating oil, or a silicon / Teflon spray on the Steel Bar, Pitman Pin, Shear Bolt and of course the Climbing Pins and Springs. I do carry a a "Fix It Kit" for my HLJ just in case but have never had to use it.
Once again, just my opinion and it may differ from others with their own hard earned experiences….

lionsbreath

Adventurer
I am with you guys, I take mine out and practice with it be for a trail run and give it the once over with some PB BLASTER. PB seems to free everything. But I read that some of you use chain lube and I might try that next. You must know how to work the jack before you have to use it for the first time off road! And that includes proper maint. As for storage I keep mine in the garage until I take a trip. Mine was my dad's years before I was born and it still works great.

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
My jack also sits on the front bumper of the truck exposed to the weather.
The same jack has been on a number of different trucks for the last 20 years. The more you try and keep it clean and coated with (add your special brand) the more covered with gunk it will become. A dry jack will not attract much dirt. Clean off the big chunks and moving parts before you use it and lubricate with (add your favorite brand) It will be fine. The best thing to do is as has already been said, practice, practice, practice. If you don’t get stuck and need it, you aren’t trying hard enough.
And like lionsbreath said PB blaster is the best corrosion/junk remover I have ever seen. I always have a can in the rig.

Regards,

Jim
:rally_guys:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
My highlift is mounted on the rear of my Jeep on the jamboree rack, upside down. The mechanical section is covered with a plastic bag and a canvas bag. I keep it liberally hosed down with light oil. So far it has worked when I needed it and the mechanical section looks brand new. I was concerned about condensation initially, but this doesn't seem to be an issue.

I know others that remove the mechanical section and keep it stored inside the vehicle, usually in an ammo can. It really depends on how much space you have and how often you may have to use it.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I was at a Bill Burke demonstration and he showed us an area on the hi-lift that on some units needs to be filed smooth...ie factory forging blem, it allows the pins to slide back and forth smoothly. The best way I can describe it is you have two big pins that have a small pin going through them at a 90* angle the smaller pins slide on the cast part of the jack. that area needs to be as smooth as a babies bottom sand it down smooth dont use a grease on that area it attracts dirt dirt causes friction, friction causes broken jaw. I would personaly recomend some type of dry graphite in that area. Keep rust and mud away from that area as well....Thomas

cowboy4x4

Explorer
elaborate on the area I'm talking about ?
If so i will snap a pic of the area i"m talking about and post it tomorrow.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
cowboy4x4 said:
elaborate on the area I'm talking about ?
If so i will snap a pic of the area i"m talking about and post it tomorrow.

Yeah - thanks - that would help out, because I don't think I understand. That's why I posted the diagram.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The "Action Job" I did on mine & a MISF's focused on part No. 18
I worked on where it makes contact with all other parts, smoothing both it and them.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I still contend that lubing it every time shouldn't be necessary. My reasoning is: What if you don't have any lube? Now what? How good is a rescue tool if you don't have the ability to lube it when needed?

I'm not talking about routine maint. and lubrication. That is reasonable. I don't think lubing it at every use is reasonable. I quit carrying mine 2 or 3 years ago and haven't missed it.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
It does sounds like a lubrication issue to me too. If it is going up and not down, and it does go down but not often then that is the case. It is what happens when they are stored outside/on vehicles. I use regular old motor oil and only have to lube maybe once a year or so if even that... I have all sorts of high lifts, generic and name brand, and use them all the time for all sorts of stuff and lube is definetely important, I have also never had one fail and consider it a very important and highly reliable piece of equipment...

cowboy4x4

Explorer
hear is a pic of the area that Bill told us about..
The black area of the casting that the gold pin slides on where the pencil tips are should be very smooth
as you can see I have not filed mine smooth ,you can see all the imperfections in the casting on the rest of the jack. Hope this helps.As of yet mine has not caught up but I'm going to file mine smooth anyway ,I dont want anything happening on the trail.

IMG_2642_Medium_.JPG

teotwaki

Excelsior!
ntsqd said:
I still contend that lubing it every time shouldn't be necessary. My reasoning is: What if you don't have any lube? Now what? How good is a rescue tool if you don't have the ability to lube it when needed?

I'm not talking about routine maint. and lubrication. That is reasonable. I don't think lubing it at every use is reasonable. I quit carrying mine 2 or 3 years ago and haven't missed it.

Pull out your dipstick? :Mechanic: (for a littlle bit of oil.....)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Useful, but then you've got a nasty mess. I found it easier to just lighten my load by 40-odd pounds and instead carry a jack that doesn't require all sorts of do-dads to be able to lift a tire enough for me to work on it or change it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94