Hi-Lift Problems / Malfunctions

SAR_Squid79

Explorer

I've had my Hi-Lift for about 3 years now. I've only had to use it 5 times so far (most recently tonight). 4 out of the 5 times I've used it it has malfunctioned. It jacks up just fine - nice and smooth. But when I throw the switch to jack it down, it won't do anything. If I try to jack it and hit the mechanism with a BFH then it will lower, but most of the time instead of going down 1 notch (like it's supposed to) it will just completely drop the load. I carry it on my truck 100% of the time, as I'm sure most of you do, and I lubricate it regulary. This is totally rediculous that my Hi-Lift has malfunctioned 80% of its uses. I feel that I can not even trust it anymore, and I always feel unsafe using it.

I e-mailed Hi-Lift about this, but does anyone else have a similar experience or fix?

The Hi-Lift has almost killed me 3 times, and once - it put a nice big crease in my driver's door. :mad: :mad: :mad: ALL WHEN TRYING TO LOWER THE JACK.

I'm ************* pissed, and I'm ready to throw my Hi-Lift in Lake Michigan.

Should I just try lubricating it before each use?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I've seen this many time with them and other than WD-40 and smacking it with a hammer when it acts up... I dunno because thats what I've always done.

I saw a guy take one on the chin from a Hi-Lift handle once... knocked him out cold AND broke his jaw. They can beat you down you if you aren't careful!

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
I hate to hear this as I just bought a new Ultimate version. What is the best all around lubricant to travel with for this jack???

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I Use gt-85 a teflon based spray lube available at your local bike shop. It stays on quite a bit better than wd. As the petroleum aerosol evaporates the teflon is left. Hi-lifts are a serious business. Know your lift or it may just kill you. Load shifts, jamming, I could go on and on. Think before you jack wait that didn't come out right.
The best thing to do is with it sitting or in your mount, use a screw driver to pull out each round slide pin and cover them in white lithium grease, a thick grease will moly something or rather is great for bearing and hi-lifts too. I find by doing this once every 6 months it helps the HL work when I need it.

Aaron

Last edited:

tjbliley

Observer
Have you thought about rebuilding it? It may just need new springs and pins as well having the races where the pins ride cleaned out. A good rebuild followed by a good lube could solve this for you.

It may not seem like it should need it but it has been out in the weather for 3 rys as you have said. Might be worth a try.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
This definitely sounds like a friction issue. Teflon or lithium lubricant sounds like the right solution. This is probably due to the fact that it's out in the elements all the time. If you use the lithium grease, it probably wouldn't hurt to clean it every once in a while to remove any dirt/dust that the grease has picked up and then reapply new grease. Also the hi-lift cover might help extend the time between cleaning/lubricating.

Also, you might check the pins and springs to insure that one of them isn't bent or damaged in any way. That might also explain why they don't seem to move properly on lowering.

Sorry to hear about the frustration and dangerous accidents.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I looked at it this evening after I got my tire changed, and gave it a visual inspection.

Everything seems to be in good shape. There is the presence of some surface rust, but all the pins and springs look okay to me. I don't think it needs rebuilding just yet. After re-reading the Owner's Manual it seems like my jack was "binding" exactly as described in the manual. I'm pretty sure I'm just not lubing it often enough.

I'm gonna go to the Hardware & Auto Parts store tomorrow in search of a better lubricant. I've been using Liquid Wrench, but I'm gonna see if I can find something else. Whatever I decide on will go in my recovery kit as the dedicated can-o-Hi-Lift-lube.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
This is the stuff:

http://www.g96.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=g96&Category_Code=Gun+Treatment

I have experienced the dreaded locked pin-itus on the Hi-Lift several times (it's damn hard to keep the pins properly lubed in stow). I am a fervent believer/user of G96 on my firearms and I carry a small aerosol can of it in my LC for guns and the Hi-Lift. It works...just that simple. But it isn't cheap...but then you probably already figured that out ;-) There's a reason wolf ******** four oh is so cheap...

peekay

Adventurer
Jamie, I've had mine for about 6 years now. Used it as my primary jack the whole time. Probably used it maybe 150-200 times. The best lube, without any doubt, is the chain lube for motorcycles. This stuff will stick on like no other, but it won't attract dust and dirt. In fact, I've found chain lube to be the best lube for almost everything. The only thing it doesn't do well is penetrate deeply, i.e. for breaking bolts loose, etc.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
SAR_Squid79 said:
Everyone (on other message boards) is saying WD-40.

In accordance with the Hi-Lift Owner's Manual you should: "lubricate the Jack using white lithium grease, light penetrating oil, or a silicon or Teflon spray"

http://www.hi-lift.com/instructions/jack_instructions.pdf
WD 40 is for drying ignition NOT lubrication. Lubrication is just a good marketing technique.

Get a real penetrating oil like PB Blaster.

If you store them in the open elements they will jam like that. HiLift makes a very nice fitted pouch for them to keep the mechanism dry. I lube mine a couple times a year and never had this complaint. It is stored in the fitted pouch. It is about 8 years old and I use it frequently. I give it a shot of PB blaster before use if the pins look at all dry.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Grim Reaper said:
If you store them in the open elements they will jam like that. HiLift makes a very nice fitted pouch for them to keep the mechanism dry.
Grim beat me to it. Storing it out in the open like that means it needs frequent lubrication. I use a dry lube, Pro Link bike chain lube (I buy the stuff by the truck load). Mine is mounted inside my camper, under a bed rail. It does get some dust but never gets wet or is exposed to the elements. I would lube and bag it, like Grim says. Actually a coating of WD40 inside the bag might be a good idea, too, to keep the rust at bay.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
This might or might not seem obvious, but I know here in FL we are not advised nor do we advise using a winch cover because of the humidity. While this sounds stupid to some it will help stuff rust a little faster. Would the HL cover do the same? I know if the lube is kept in place and not blasted off by 70mph highway speeds a little surface rust wouldn't kill it. Though now that I think about it the whole reason a cover was a bad idea might have been to prevent more rust to the cable, or hell for all I know a Urban FL myth. I had often though about modifying a pelican case or similar to cover the HL vital bits.

Aaron

AndrewP

Explorer
Only two other comments.

1) If it's only been used 4-5 times, there is often excess powder coat on the lift bar that snags the pins. It wears away after more use, and the pins slide more easily in their tracks.

2) There is a good side and a bad side of the bar. I know that sounds weird, but it depends on how the holes are punched in the bar. You could turn it around and see what happens.

Lube before every use-I like the teflon spray, but lately I've been using "Boeshield" available at your local bike shop. That seems to stay on between use and prevents rust, too. The best thing is to keep the mechanism inside and out of the weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles