Hi-Lift First Responder Jack

HarryT

Adventurer
I hope it's self lubricating. My Hi-Lift never works without liberal amounts of some kind of slippery liquid applied to the moving parts.
Twenty years ago when I was volunteering for everything (Firefighter, LEO, rescue) I used my Hi-Lift pretty often. We used it for all the regular stuff (lifting, pulling, squeezing, and stretching). Once I used it to lift a very large person (over 400 pounds) out of their bath tub.
I hope the emergency Hi-Lift has some way to protect the user from the handle whacking them. I've seen a few people hurt when the handle slipped.

bob91yj

Resident **************
That can't be stated enough, NEVER get your head in the swing arc of the handle, especially between the handle and the jack frame. I know a one eyed rock crawler than can explain why to you.

If you've never used your Hi-Lift, practice using it in the driveway. They are a fantastic tool with a nasty temperment. I'm amazed they haven't been sued out of existence, there must be some iron clad legalese in their paperwork.

trump

Adventurist
I like that base - I hope they sell it by itself.

Much better than the plywood I am using, too!

That isn't just a new base... the bottom of the jack itself has been redesigned so it will pivot on it. Won't work on a regular hi-lift.

Dowry

Observer
Where's the aluminum?

The video and their website say it's steel, cast iron and aluminum. I wonder which part is aluminum? The handle, perhaps?

D

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I hope it's self lubricating. My Hi-Lift never works without liberal amounts of some kind of slippery liquid applied to the moving parts.
Twenty years ago when I was volunteering for everything (Firefighter, LEO, rescue) I used my Hi-Lift pretty often. We used it for all the regular stuff (lifting, pulling, squeezing, and stretching). Once I used it to lift a very large person (over 400 pounds) out of their bath tub.
I hope the emergency Hi-Lift has some way to protect the user from the handle whacking them. I've seen a few people hurt when the handle slipped.

I used a spray lube called Moly Mist, made by Jet Lube on mine: it made all the difference in the world. It's a spray on product that dries to a grey color. It rubs off in the areas that touch each other, but doesn't tend to rub off on your hands.
I cleaned up the jack parts while installing a HiLift rebuild kit a couple years ago, and sprayed a couple coats on.
Not nearly as pretty yellow as the SAR jack, though.:sombrero:

http://www.jetlubecanada.com/pages/Moly_Mist.html

Srob0601

I've had several opportunities to use this new Hi-lift, even prior to its commercial release.

A little history on it: It was developed by a local firefighter in WA who is part of a local competitive Auto Extrication Team (with whom I've had the privilege of working with for the last 6 years) . The original modified Hi-Lift that resulted in the commercial production is still in use by the team. They are a non profit organization that provides training in basic and advanced extrication and stabilization techniques. The aforementioned original was simply a 48" Hi-Lift with a piece of C Channel bolted to the base plate a very easy modification for anyone to do themselves, but as you noticed there is an adapter from the shaft to the base that allows you to rotate the plate 90 degrees.

As far as the lubrication factor you mentioned... ugh no easy way to put its but it is a bit stiff and until you wear down the paint on the shaft of the unit it sticks a bit. As far as the trail nuts are concerned its probably not the greatest but in the Fire/EMS community its is a fantastic tool. Too often in our little community hydraulic tools are given precedence over simple hand tools. I've issued challenges to several members of my Dept that with a Hi-lift and a Sawzall I can open up a vehicle faster than they can hook up their hydros. I've yet to be beat :D Well, that's all folks. Any questions let me know.

Feel free to check the team out: www.thepxteam.org

B.L. Sims

Observer
2 thoughts occour since afterall- its the base that most of us are interested in.

As mentioned above, C-channel would work. In order to have a rotatable base why not just weld a piece of cross drilled square tubing and viola! a rotatable base? The only difference being that you would need to lift the track out. If your worried about side to side motion in the base im sure that could be remedied by spacers.

The other thought occours that if you merley wanted a "lip" on your stock base in order to keep it from slipping off things why not take some angle iron and use the existing holes to bolt it on with some grade 8? Get agressive and put some "teeth" on it with a few cuts. It would be easily removable with simple tools if you wanted to go back to a completley flat surface. If you were worried about that bending some square tube would certainly get the job done. Im not sure that id be willing to attatch chains to this design however.

lcsodiver

Adventurer
I Just watched the video on their site... looks like the base would work on the older jacks.... it is two parts.. the base and then a cylinder "sleeve" that pins onto the lifting bar that allows the base to swivel around.... might be worth an email to highlift for those wanting the new base!

verdesardog

Explorer
HI-LIFT Base

In response to this old thread, I have fabricated a prototype base for my hi-lift. It is made from structural channel steel, the jack can be rotated 90 in the base. I also have talked to a local fabrictor that will make these for me so the welding will be prettier than mine. You will have to provide your own 1/2" pin. I can sell these for $70.00 plus shipping. Since I will have these made for me on an as needed basis I will need payment in advance. contact me at walowan at hotmail.

The photos show it being used to lift the front of my cummins powered Dodge Ram:

1208.jpg

2164.jpg

3124.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles