HF Overlanding

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I do enjoy HF quite a bit from the mobile. I run a TS480sat with a Tarheel Model 75 as the primary antenna. I have Hamsticks as needed. I have considered a future 30m APRS set-up for the way off the beaten path ops but that is when I get a new truck. I also have used 40m and 60m when in the boonies (which means no repeaters and can even included paved roads!) There are a lot of 40m nets in the MidWest and on the East Coast. 60m tends to be pretty good for regional comms thought I do admit to working some DX now and then.

My question is what do folks run, if anything?

DaveInDenver

Expedition Leader
HF APRS sounds intriguing.

I used to run an FT-857 and ATAS-120 in my truck but have since had to liquidate various hobby stuff, so I'm no longer mobile HF equipped. :-(

Recommended books for Overlanding

Expedition Leader
TS-480SAT and a Buddipole for camp. Have the Buddipole set up so I can be operating 10M, 12M, 17M, or 20M very quickly. 40M in a few more minutes.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
Working on my setup. Plan on using my Flex 3000 with a hamstick dipole. Still have not prototyped it yet.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
TS-480SAT and a Buddipole for camp. Have the Buddipole set up so I can be operating 10M, 12M, 17M, or 20M very quickly. 40M in a few more minutes.

I love my 480. I had a Buddipole but it was stolen. Have to replace it someday. I really miss using it with my IC703+.

Aaron Wasson

In the rear with the gear
Icom 706mkiig with an AH-4 attached to an 8ft SS whip. I'm good for everything except 160M. Haven't done APRS from my truck yet, but I do Winlink and PSK all the time. Really comes in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TS-480 SAT with 20,40,75 Mtr ham sticks. Talked around the world while driving on the White Rim Trail Moab, Ut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binrat

Observer
Old thread I know, but I have a 480HX in my truck with SS whip/hamsticks for mobile. But when stationary I have either a Buddipole or an Alpha antennas ProMaster Snr.The Promaster snr does better for some bands over the BP, but both are still worthy.