Hey Vortec Guys! / Sierra pickup / Suburban / Yukon etc - Finally has Index!

jgaz

Adventurer
So wait, are there standard fasteners on my 2001 yukon, or no?
I would say no std. fasteners.
But I’m not sure, I left the Chevy/Olds dealership in 1985.

GM had changed the V8 block by then and I’m pretty sure the new series block would have been tapped with metric threads.
Some of the last things to change were the pressure fitting on the power steering pump and the two lines on the steering gear housing.

@rayra would be your expert here. I was only providing a timeline that I was familiar with.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I want to say yes, but it's been a long day, I can't really. I think last time I dismounted my rear suspension and u-joints they were standard. (shrug)
But look at this way - do you think YOUR vehicle will be the only one you might have to wrench on in the middle of nowhere? What about someone else's, friend or stranger? It isn't a lot of room or weight to carry both, in the most common sizes. Especially not in a Tahoe or Suburban. All the room in the world. It's not an ultralight hiker sort of deal.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Solution to the crummy crumbly rear suspension bump stops. Can't seem to find the Z71 style red beehive for my '02. Come to think of it, I've never laid eyes on what our '05 Tahoe is equipped with. These are more column-shaped with a rounded end where they contact the rear axle.
They're $20ea just about anywhere. These are from Amazon, but the dealer pricing isn't significantly different. Been talking about them forever but recently have been packing heavy and toxing some loaded utility trailers, so I figured I better get on it.

suspensionbumpersGMT800.jpg

Just reading through this. The GM # for the Z-71 rear bump stop is 15270578. Dorman also makes it. #523-065. Either flavor is available from Rock Auto. They are white or yellow, they turn red/black as they age!

The GM replacement for the torsion bar crossmember mount is 20829013. This is a steel ring with the rubber mount vulcanized inside so that you can press it in to the frame bracket after you remove the original rubber. Also available from Rock Auto but they only currently show one in stock.

Nice work on this thread, I'll be pulling the intake, oil pan, and valve covers on my '01 Tahoe one of these days to stop the leaks!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thanks very much and Thanks for the part numbers! Especially those rear stops, I really need them and my local GM counter guy was no help.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Rock Auto also has the front Z-71 bump stops in stock for about the same price as the regular ones. I was browsing 2004 1500 Suburban when I saw them. I just ordered the regular ones a few weeks ago to replace the missing ones on my Tahoe and they didn't have the Z-71 ones then. :(

Overlandtowater

So I'm going to ask a dumb question I guess...….are the z71 bumps better than the ones under my LT? looking at pics of the z71 bumps they appear to be same as what I have....just black instead of yellow.

Yroundrdn

Observer
Quick question, I just found my heater control valve leaking again from a crack in the side of the valve. This is my 2nd one in 13k miles. The first was in the vehicle when I bought it so not sure how old it was and the replacement only lasted one trip. Now this one is out. Am I missing something? Is this like the XJ water pumps that you have to buy from the dealer? If any of you have found a better quality replacement, I would appreciate your recommendations. It should last much longer I would think. THX

rayra

Expedition Leader
you talking about the vacuum control line that moves the blend door, in the '97? Far as I'm aware there's the heater core loop and the AC exchanger, pretty much side by side. Not water valve, which seems to be what you are talking about? Or am I misundertanding altogether? Been a long day and I'm medicated for a head cold, not really tracking very well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94