Hey Vortec Guys! / Sierra pickup / Suburban / Yukon etc - Finally has Index!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Mr. Murphy says, “ Right after you fill up the tank“
yes lol. Fortunately I have a bunch of empty 20L gas cans laying around right now. I can siphon it out if I have to, after I disconnect the filler neck.

rayra

Expedition Leader
When my went I pulled the bed off my truck to replace it, unfortunately not an option for you. It was way easier than droping the full tank of fuel.

Sent from somewhere remote on my BlackBerry
I'm still kind of itching to go thru the floor. The location / method is discussed much earlier in this topic. I'm willing to do it. Almost eager. But I also have a fuel tank protective plate project that's been languishing for years, and I need to drop my driveshafts for u-joint replacements too (joints already on-hand). So I'll probably just be dropping the tank. I have decent jackstands and floor jack and will likely rig something else to get the vehicle high enough in the air to have room to work. Going to be a long couple days of wrenching, doing three projects at once.

rayra

Expedition Leader
New fuel pump came today. Now I can worry less about this keening noise. And it's AAA's problem when it snuffs it, if I don't get the new one installed before this quits for good..

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
My HAL9000 predicts that AE-35 unit is still within operational limits but that it will fail the first hot day that I'm under 1/4 tank, far from home. So I'm going to try nad stretch it out a bit while I finish other things I'm in the middle of, and start preparing to change drive shaft U-joints and get some template materials so I can fab the fuel tank protective plate(s) template(s) while I have the tank empty and loose, changing the fuel pump. And dismounting the driveshaft to make it easier to pull the tank while I'm in my driveway, anyway.

eta 146,000mi. Our '05 Tahoe's was still working fine at 200,000 when we sold it and I know for a fact my wife spent a lot more time driving the thing on E than I ever have.

rayra

Expedition Leader
My old girl got some love - give it a read, before Brady knows what he did. LOL. https://expeditionportal.com/an-overland-chevy-avalanche/
That's a very good epitaph. I never noticed the front plate was up top. What's the details on the 9gal water system?
How's the replacement going? After this self-imprisonment BS is over I'll be heading down your way again. Maybe I'll have my winch setup finally completed by then, would like to come by again and see how things are going.

I'me thinking about onboard air, now, trying to shoehorn something in where the factory subwoofer is. And I have a 5gal portable tank that I might be able to shoehorn underneath, as part of hard-plumbing air QDs at both bumpers.

Stryder106

Explorer
That's a very good epitaph. I never noticed the front plate was up top. What's the details on the 9gal water system?
How's the replacement going? After this self-imprisonment BS is over I'll be heading down your way again. Maybe I'll have my winch setup finally completed by then, would like to come by again and see how things are going.

I'me thinking about onboard air, now, trying to shoehorn something in where the factory subwoofer is. And I have a 5gal portable tank that I might be able to shoehorn underneath, as part of hard-plumbing air QDs at both bumpers.
Thanks. The water system is a 5 gallon manually pressurized (read that as hand pump) Life Saver Element jerry can that filters and kills all bacteria, virus, and parasites for 5000 gallons (or 20000Litres). I have 5 of those filters so I'm good for 25000gallons or 100000Litres. Pretty much can source water from anywhere. I also have 2 4 gallon Rotopax bringing the total onboard water to 9 gallons. That does not include our backpacks (6 litters) plus other onboard liquids for sitting around the campfire. This is actually something I'm considering on the new truck - creating a pressurized system that can also run through a heat exchanger and increase the onboard water to 15 gallons.

Wait - yours came with a factory subwoofer?!?!?! Grrrrrrr.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thanks. The water system is a 5 gallon manually pressurized (read that as hand pump) Life Saver Element jerry can that filters and kills all bacteria, virus, and parasites for 5000 gallons (or 20000Litres). I have 5 of those filters so I'm good for 25000gallons or 100000Litres. Pretty much can source water from anywhere. I also have 2 4 gallon Rotopax bringing the total onboard water to 9 gallons. That does not include our backpacks (6 litters) plus other onboard liquids for sitting around the campfire. This is actually something I'm considering on the new truck - creating a pressurized system that can also run through a heat exchanger and increase the onboard water to 15 gallons.

Wait - yours came with a factory subwoofer?!?!?! Grrrrrrr.

heh I'm pretty sure all the Suburbans do. It's in the back left corner under the breadbox / TP storage.

rayra

Expedition Leader
well I've chopped my factory subwoofer box down by about 3" in length to make room for the power cabling to the rear of wheel tub and I'm probably pulling it completely in order to install some sort of on-board air there, sometime this summer, so if someone wants it we can arrange something.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
My truck has 135k on it, I've had it since 90k. I was getting some pulsation with braking so I figured it was time for new pads and rotors. The caliper bolts will not come out of the caliper brackets so I can't separate the two. The caliper bolts are 10mm hex. I tried to get them off with my snap-on impact and with a 24" breaker bar. I'm just rounding out the hex sockets. I put some heat on it but my little MAP torch can only do so much on the big calipers. I would have liked to separate the caliper from the caliper bracket so I could grease the pins but it wasn't happening. I put the new rotor and pads on without being able to inspect the slide pins, hoping to get lucky. Now my brakes are dragging and it's undrivable. Great. So now I have to order new calipers/caliper brackets for both sides at $92/each. The best part is my original brake pads still look great, 75% of the pad is still there. It's almost like a guy has to take apart his brakes and grease the pins(with good grease) as part of regular maintenance even if the pads/ rotors are fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles