Hey Vortec Guys! / Sierra pickup / Suburban / Yukon etc - Finally has Index!

XJLI

Adventurer
Wanted to share this one, that's the wiring harness that sits above the transfer case.

gwrsrQw.jpg

Last winter I was getting 'service 4wd' messages. Read the code, changed the transfer case solenoid thing. No more codes. Came back a couple weeks ago, intermittently. Checked the switch with an ohm meter, it was bad, replaced switch. Still had the 'service 4wd' message, truck was starting up in 4H, 2L, Auto, etc. Read that I should clean some grounds, so I did. Truck started slamming into low at stoplights, got stuck in low leaving the store had to pull the fuse to reset the TCCM to get back into 2wd. Next day I couldn't get it out of low and limped a few blocks home in low range right into the garage and found the harness all rubbed out (I assume from the front driveshaft?) Anyway, pulled the green wire out of the connector on both sides and spliced them into a their own separate connector. No issues now.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Something of concern for any vehicle owner -

oil change mouse poop.jpg

Was changing the oil on the missus' Equinox. That's mouse / rat poop. That's the oil fill cap recess in the engine top cover. Not much urine or footprints in the engine compartment. Car's driven every day. No sign of anything chewed yet and I just replaced the cabin air filter last month with no sign of rodents.

I get a lot of little feet prints and urine sign on the engine cover of my Sub, which is usually parked at the curb.

Our neighbor and his hoarder wife keep a lot of crap on their back patio, I've seen plenty of rat sign when I re-built their back fence. Guess it's past time to start laying out some traps between our houses and near the front of the missus' usual parking spot in the driveway.

mybigwarwagon

Rarely serious

Was changing the oil on the missus' Equinox. That's mouse / rat poop. That's the oil fill cap recess in the engine top cover. Not much urine or footprints in the engine compartment. Car's driven every day. No sign of anything chewed yet and I just replaced the cabin air filter last month with no sign of rodents.

I get a lot of little feet prints and urine sign on the engine cover of my Sub, which is usually parked at the curb.

Our neighbor and his hoarder wife keep a lot of crap on their back patio, I've seen plenty of rat sign when I re-built their back fence. Guess it's past time to start laying out some traps between our houses and near the front of the missus' usual parking spot in the driveway.
I had one brought to me recently that was covered in mouse poop. never saw a mouse, but ,man did it stink.

Overlandtowater

Tom Cat in the big buckets works great for me in Missouri don't know if its even legal out your way. I would assume so.

rayra

Expedition Leader
poisoned rats tend to crawl into hard to get to places to die. Once deep in my garage mess, another time under / inside my pool cover structure. Both times it took a lot of work to get to those rotting corpses. I won't use poison around the house anymore. Traps and more traps.

Yroundrdn

Observer
Hard start question

We are on a trip in Colorado and for the first time I am noticing difficult starting with the suburban. If the vehicles warm you turn the key and it’s running just like always. I’m finding when it’s cold it turns over for a long time unless I push the gas a bit. The only difference up here is the elevation and the cold.
I’m thinking the MAP sensor but no codes are going. I will probably pick one up just to be safe but thought I would check and see if anyone else had starting issues in the cold?

Hard start question

We are on a trip in Colorado and for the first time I am noticing difficult starting with the suburban. If the vehicles warm you turn the key and it’s running just like always. I’m finding when it’s cold it turns over for a long time unless I push the gas a bit. The only difference up here is the elevation and the cold.
I’m thinking the MAP sensor but no codes are going. I will probably pick one up just to be safe but thought I would check and see if anyone else had starting issues in the cold?

We have a 96 with the 350 vortec that had symptoms similar to what you described, and no CEL. Ended up being the fuel pressure regulator in the intake manifold. Hope your issue is something more simple!

plumber mike

Adventurer
Hard start question

I’m not sure what suburban or what engine. I had an 01 with the 8.1 that had a pile of miles. The injectors would dribble out when it would sit for a while.....like overnight. It would then take a while cranking while the fuel pump repressurized the system. Plus it basically flooded the engine like an old carbed vehicle. A little throttle opened the butterfly and gave it some more air. Never failed to start but always annoying.

My other thought, and I’m no expert, is some sort of idle air circuit possibly clogged or restricted.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Start with the basics.

Check your fuel pressure is 60 PSI at the fuel injector rail to make sure the intank electric fuel pump is not on the way out!

Last edited:

Yroundrdn

Observer
OK guys thanks for the input. They will probably make it home. Hopefully it’s just the MAP. Happens less so I’ll check when we get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rho

Lost again
Any of the GMT800 mafia upgrade your alternators?
Ours is in good shape still, but its something I've been thinking about as my partner wants to put an inverter and fridge in her truck and its going to be getting a GMRS radio n stuff.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Any of the GMT800 mafia upgrade your alternators?
Ours is in good shape still, but its something I've been thinking about as my partner wants to put an inverter and fridge in her truck and its going to be getting a GMRS radio n stuff.
I bought a Mechman 240 amp high output alternator in Dec 2018 when my factory alternator started to give wide fluctuations in voltage. The Mechman is very solidly made and required that I install a ground dedicated to the alternator itself. It has worked great so far.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
You may want to upgrade "the big 3" to take advantage of the alternator output. My 2011 HD has the factory 160 amp alternator and 2 gauge cable, not bad.
My '84 k20 plow truck had a wimpy 10 gauge alternator wire that didn't even go directly to the battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles