Hey guys I been reading on the 80's and Im falling in love with it ...

d0va

Observer
I have an opportunity to get an 80's is a 1993 with around 200k looks real good there is some surface rust on the body(rear passanger quarter panel and around the hood) , I check the frame and didnt see any rust on it...
also there some signs of oil leak from the Tcase and ac leak... which from what I read here is normal....

I havent had a chance to test drive it, when I saw it was running the owner still used it for DD at least that what he said but what are some thing I should look for
and how expensive are to repair and is there plenty of parts available for them
Im in San Antonio can I find part at pick n pull or any junk yard or do I need to buy new ?

also how much are you guys paying for just liability insurance

The fj80 is going to be mostly for DD and some road trips to the coast and some state parks maybe 2-3 time a year
help me out this looks like a nice vehicle for us since I have 2 kids and 2 dogs and my wife
Based on my research they are reliable but can get expensive if not maintenance...
Help me out what should I look for mechanically, cosmetic my only concern is the rust which is not much and I can probably treated to stop since is not a problem here in TX

thanks
d0va

hks3sgte

César Gómez
as with any vehicle that hasn't been maintained... it will be a money pit! I'd pass based on the rust alone. 80 series can be found almost everywhere and without rust. Keep looking. At least you know you want one.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Check and see if the head gasket has been done, the PHH (pesky heater hose) and if the front axle has not been serviced, it likely needs it.

And I agree with hks3sgte, the rust would make me pass as well. Why is there rust on the hood?

clandr1

Adventurer
How much is he asking for it? Up here in Dallas there was a '94 with around 200k miles on it, looked clean as could be and he was asking $3000. Didn't last long...

But yes, to parrot the two posters above, I'd pass if there is rust. My friend has a '94 80 with 220k and it has zero rust.

d0va

Observer
thanks guys Im going to see if I can find a different one unless he gives me a good price for it, the rust spot is not on the hood is where the hood rest when closed , the guy used to leave in chicago for a few years...
will see Ill make sure I check all the metal do you guys know any spots I should be looking for rust in the body.....

yohavos

Make sure you're checking more than just rust on the body... rust on the undercarriage is out of sight out of mind until you start updating suspension and PM stuff.

Then you're breaking shock bolts, cutting out O2 sensors, drilling out stripped bolts, messing with rusted heater hoses, breaking LSPV bolts, hammering on your rotors when you try to change them because everything's rusted together, etc...

I understand being excited about a vehicle, but seriously, take your time and find a rust-free specimen.

I would rather pay for an unlocked, clean 80 than mess around with a $1500 locked pile of rust. YMMV of course.

On the body, look around the fenders, rockers, bottom of doors, around the windshield, and the rear hatch/lift gate. These are the places that I've seen them rust the most.

Congrats on your decision, by the way. These are amazing trucks... I've got 285k on mine and never plan on getting rid of it.

60Dan

Explorer
Once you drive an 80 you wont look back -- of course you will visit a few more gas stations during your relationship, but its worth it!! :smiley_drive:

d0va

Observer
Im still on the search guys.... Believe me guys gas wont be an issue I actual would be gaining some mpg, I get around 11mpg on the Titan....

86tuning

Adventurer
I get 8-12mpg city (depending on traffic)
12-14mpg hwy (depending on hills and speed that I'm driving)
on 315/75-16 BFG KM2s, stock gearing, speedo error corrected.

Titan will easily out run an 80 series.

That said, I wouldn't give up my landcruiser for anything else. And I've had a bunch of errthang else.

Good luck on your search. Rust is a dealbreaker for me. For rigs with lack of maintenance, it had better be super cheap, because maintenance costs what it does on any other $50k vehicle. Locked or unlocked isn't as big a deal as rust, you can retrofit lockers if/when you find you need/want them, but can't un-rust a rusty truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles