Heres my jeep Trailer/camper

Gregmoore0

What do yall think. not even close to being done but want to get opinions. Any input or opinions will be appreciated.
IMG_4314.jpgIMG_4315 (1).jpgIMG_4301.jpg

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I like the concept, however have a couple concerns.

Can you get it tagged as a trailer?
Weight will be an issue, not just over all weight, but distribution of it because the axle is far enough back it will cause a heavy tongue weight.

big a

Adventurer
Huh... it's an interesting concept! It already has windows and doors. Even with the front clip removed, it's still aerodynamically ahead of a boxy trailer. It already has brakes and an emergency brake. I'd be curious to see what it weighs after you strip it, but like previously stated, weight will be a challenge because there's little space behind the axle to get some of the loaded weight off of the tongue. You could always use/build a receiver basket and load it down with your water, generator, wood, etc.

It will be interesting to see how you solve these problems! I like the outside the norm thinking though!!!!!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Trash/Cut off the front factory Jeep frame rails you are currently using and build your own trailer tongue A frame trailer rails from the bottom of the Jeep uni-body frame rail structures just long enough forward for 90 degree jack knife of the trailer for easy trail maneuvering and for the least amount tongue weight. Suggest you "Finish" the fire wall by adding factory Jeep front fenders cut off about 6-8 inches from the doors to cover the side cowl and blend the fender ends into a firewall cap to finish the front of the body. Do not add anything at all (storage box) to your front fabricated trailer tongue rails as you now can put everything inside the Jeep. Remove the dash board as part of the firewall mod and finish appropriately always remembering the need to put most of your weight/cargo to the rear of the Jeep trailer given the axle location. Tint all the windows for security. If you are going to keep the factory Jeep rear-end add a "Surge Brake" controller to your front fabricated trailer tongue to provide trailer braking as this will be a HEAVY trailer. Add a parking brake handle to the finished trailer to activate the factory Jeep parking brake cables. Look at 2 jacks at the front corners of the trailer just under the front doors for trailer stability when parked camping or when unhooked rather than a single tongue jack.

I have seen some pretty slick setups with rear body sections for trailers particularly 1991 and older 2 door Blazers and square body Jeep Chrerokee's. The four door aspect of this trailer build will always make loading of this finished trailer a consideration due to potential tongue weight issues caused by the rear axle location. Adding some fabricated sheet-metal to your new fabricated front trailer rails to cover the firewall and extend down to possibly cover your new fabricated trailer A from tongue rails with slick design could also add an additional very neat aerodynamic look to the front of your new "Trailer"!

The options here are only limited by your fabrication skills!

A 2 Door square body Cherokee body section might be a better choice for a trailer conversion from a trailer tongue weight perspective.

Here is a pretty slick conversion using a Blazer Chalet camper with the front re-worked and mounted on a cut-off rear frame section of a Blazer. The Blazer Chalet shell was mounted on the Blazer rear from section just like it was when new. Given the fact that I have seen Blazer Chalet shells as cheap as $500 this is also a cheap way for a camper trailer build!

Also included are a couple of Jeep Cherokee trailer builds.

Pretty slick huh??

Blazer chalet trailer.jpgblazer chalet.jpgjeep trailer.jpg

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
jeep trailer 1.jpg

This one is a photo shop however the idea is pretty neat using 2 rear sections.

jeep trailer 2.jpg

Last edited:

Gregmoore0

I like the concept, however have a couple concerns.

Can you get it tagged as a trailer?
Weight will be an issue, not just over all weight, but distribution of it because the axle is far enough back it will cause a heavy tongue weight.
yes it can be tagged, good thing is im in sc and i dont need a tag for instate travel

Gregmoore0

Huh... it's an interesting concept! It already has windows and doors. Even with the front clip removed, it's still aerodynamically ahead of a boxy trailer. It already has brakes and an emergency brake. I'd be curious to see what it weighs after you strip it, but like previously stated, weight will be a challenge because there's little space behind the axle to get some of the loaded weight off of the tongue. You could always use/build a receiver basket and load it down with your water, generator, wood, etc.

It will be interesting to see how you solve these problems! I like the outside the norm thinking though!!!!!
I plan on putting 3 deep cycle batteries in the spare tire area for weight. Also im planning on shortening the tongue length.

Gregmoore0

Trash/Cut off the front factory Jeep frame rails you are currently using and build your own trailer tongue A frame trailer rails from the bottom of the Jeep uni-body frame rail structures just long enough forward for 90 degree jack knife of the trailer for easy trail maneuvering and for the least amount tongue weight. Suggest you "Finish" the fire wall by adding factory Jeep front fenders cut off about 6-8 inches from the doors to cover the side cowl and blend the fender ends into a firewall cap to finish the front of the body. Do not add anything at all (storage box) to your front fabricated trailer tongue rails as you now can put everything inside the Jeep. Remove the dash board as part of the firewall mod and finish appropriately always remembering the need to put most of your weight/cargo to the rear of the Jeep trailer given the axle location. Tint all the windows for security. If you are going to keep the factory Jeep rear-end add a "Surge Brake" controller to your front fabricated trailer tongue to provide trailer braking as this will be a HEAVY trailer. Add a parking brake handle to the finished trailer to activate the factory Jeep parking brake cables. Look at 2 jacks at the front corners of the trailer just under the front doors for trailer stability when parked camping or when unhooked rather than a single tongue jack.

I have seen some pretty slick setups with rear body sections for trailers particularly 1991 and older 2 door Blazers and square body Jeep Chrerokee's. The four door aspect of this trailer build will always make loading of this finished trailer a consideration due to potential tongue weight issues caused by the rear axle location. Adding some fabricated sheet-metal to your new fabricated front trailer rails to cover the firewall and extend down to possibly cover your new fabricated trailer A from tongue rails with slick design could also add an additional very neat aerodynamic look to the front of your new "Trailer"!

The options here are only limited by your fabrication skills!

A 2 Door square body Cherokee body section might be a better choice for a trailer conversion from a trailer tongue weight perspective.

Here is a pretty slick conversion using a Blazer Chalet camper with the front re-worked and mounted on a cut-off rear frame section of a Blazer. The Blazer Chalet shell was mounted on the Blazer rear from section just like it was when new. Given the fact that I have seen Blazer Chalet shells as cheap as $500 this is also a cheap way for a camper trailer build!

Also included are a couple of Jeep Cherokee trailer builds.

Pretty slick huh??

View attachment 496835View attachment 496836View attachment 496837
i like you idea of the fold down jack stands, here a picture of the dash area
IMG_4325.jpg

Gregmoore0

I plan on shortening the tongue about 2 to 3 feet and cut the firewall & transmission tunnel out and make the floor flat and the firewall piece will follow the windshield line.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
........Here is a pretty slick conversion using a Blazer Chalet camper with the front re-worked and mounted on a cut-off rear frame section of a Blazer. The Blazer Chalet shell was mounted on the Blazer rear from section just like it was when new. .......

View attachment 496835
FYI, the above Chalet trailer pic is not an actual real life thing, it's a photo alteration out of this old CK5.com 'dismantle/build' thread post where one of my pals eventually took the camper off his Blazer (seen here in a series of photos), but he later rolled the truck and turned the camper into a deerstand.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles