Here we go again...

andysgreenxj

Observer
Well, started to build a teardrop of sorts a couple years ago, and after sleeping in it one night with my girlfriend, found it to be not quite what I had hoped. So I sold the original tub that I had built out of plywood and fiberglass. I have modified the frame to make it 5x9. My question is this, would like to hear from some of the builders on here what the pros and cons they feel would sway me in one direction or the other. The other being build using plywood again.

opp

Observer
this 2020 . Why would even think about wood. Stronger , lighter cheaper , faster ways to build. If it can rot it will I am a big fan of fiberglass over the RIGHT foam using poly- resin .

Attachments

• Picture 673.jpg
    Picture 673.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

1000arms

Well, started to build a teardrop of sorts a couple years ago, and after sleeping in it one night with my girlfriend, found it to be not quite what I had hoped. So I sold the original tub that I had built out of plywood and fiberglass. I have modified the frame to make it 5x9. My question is this, would like to hear from some of the builders on here what the pros and cons they feel would sway me in one direction or the other. The other being build using plywood again.
@Teardropper has published a book on building teardrop campers. You might find it useful:

high-and-dry

I am anti wood, unless wrapped completely in fiber glass, like 360 degrees, bottom too.

It also depends what your using it for, if serious off road, like fall on its side, bounce of trees off road that entirely different than just muddy roads. I like the foam panel with fiberglass skin method, its not really any harder than wood, basically make bog panels cut them to fit and glue them together. But I would not recommend it for falling on its side off road.

edited to clarify. I think wood is better for impacts, ie very rough off road.

Last edited:

Teardropper

if serious off road, like fall on its side, bounce of trees off road that entirely different than just muddy roads.

High-and-Dry:

Do you have a photo of yours with this road rash? How'd you build yours?

AoBQsb9.jpg

Tony

high-and-dry

Tony you know how my camper is. you know its foam and fiberglass skins.

And I think you miss read my post., ( edit I just edited my post above for clarity ) if I was bouncing off of trees and having the risk of it landing on its side I would do wood with a hand laid fiberglass skin. I would not want to bounce my trailer off a tree. I know it would not crumble but I do think it would take damage. Now if it had a frame in the walls I would feel better about that.

There are advantages to the SIP construction, weight, insulation value etc. Also moment of inertia when going down rutted roads is better too, but thats because of the weight. IE less likely to crack something due to its own weight.

But when we start talking about impacts, I do think wood is better. Go to about 8.30 in the below video, he lays the trailer side in to a hill on a rutted road. Thats what I mean by laying it over. I watched his videos, his trailer is 1.5 times heavier than mine is, and his is smaller.

opp

Observer
I have no idea how many wooden houses will be built
last time I seen a house go off road is in the move UP :) glass /foam you don't have to think about any small leaks hell even a big leak . Don't need as many tools to build . on a wood trailer just one screw pop a head your in trouble Theres a reason big planes are not built from wood. Wood trailers have there place but for off road not so much. Foam sucks up a lot of in packs.

Last edited:

high-and-dry

Opp if I was dragging trees, and laying it in to hills like the vid I posted I would go wood. Heck If I was really fearing it, I would go metal frame with ACM put on with vhb tape. That way I could just pull and replace skins as needed. I really thought about going that way but then realized I wont ever be doing that type of off road. The vid below, while he did not build it for serious offroad is how I would probably build if I was thinking I needed it. But I would have not used as much wood in the floor.

Last edited:

opp

Observer
Opp if I was dragging trees,
Wood would be the last thing I use. We go with flexible fiberglass panels . and ridge fiberglass frame. backed with HD foam not the white crap that made from beads . All my in laws work in RV repair . Had one trailer ass end . Trailer stopped car hit it at 60+ .damage tore off heads of rivets , delam foam about 2'' wide by 30'' fixed with can foam. Tore tires off one side bent rim . The big panel can be pushed in a bout 1/2 '' . Test done with jack on a wall pushing on panel .The foam suck up most hits. picture of flexible skin. All fiberglass done with out welder .To hard to hold a arc

Attachments

• Picture 683.jpg
    Picture 683.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

high-and-dry

Wood would be the last thing I use. We go with flexible fiberglass panels . and ridge fiberglass frame. backed with HD foam not the white crap that made from beads . All my in laws work in RV repair . Had one trailer ass end . Trailer stopped car hit it at 60+ .damage tore off heads of rivets , delam foam about 2'' wide by 30'' fixed with can foam. Tore tires off one side bent rim . The big panel can be pushed in a bout 1/2 '' . Test done with jack on a wall pushing on panel .The foam suck up most hits. picture of flexible skin. All fiberglass done with out welder .To hard to hold a arc

Well then I guess I did it right....

Reactions: opp

Teardropper

Wood trailers have there place but for off road not so much.

I've been boondocking with wooden teardrops for nearly two decades. Nineteen years. All over Idaho, Montana, and Utah.

5OOqaPB.jpg

The screws don't pop out and I've never had a leak.

But that's just MY experience.

Tony

opp

Observer
By the pic would not call that off road :) All my in laws work in RV repair. seem some water problems start with a screws "head" poping off. then a little water wood get soft and start a chain reaction. Are that scratch you miss. wood has a R 1 of insulation. maybe. Hell condensation from storing. That what great about these trailers so many ways to build. Those that build with wood should be called old world craftsmen . i like a trailer that you can beat the heel out of if it get some damage .So what Fix it when I feel like it . That is why we use all the small panels we look at trailers differently you look at the build. I look at the damage you can have

Last edited:

andysgreenxj

Observer
I've been boondocking with wooden teardrops for nearly two decades. Nineteen years. All over Idaho, Montana, and Utah.

5OOqaPB.jpg

The screws don't pop out and I've never had a leak.

But that's just MY experience.

Tony
I have your book on building teardrops. I have been reading it, and plan to use many of the tricks that I've see you use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles