Here is an interesting DIY Pop Top Camper Adventure Truck

robert

Expedition Leader
Yep, it showed up on Tacomaworld the other day. I really like what they did other than the unvented propane cylinder inside and the speaker wire electrical connections.

Gotta love that shop and them doing the work on it. (y)

downhill

Adventurer
There are lots of things to like about this camper, from the hard side configuration to the DIY aspect. You see lots of designs that look so cool, but real world experience with them is something less. If you never travel in demanding conditions, your needs are different of course. I actually prefer to travel in bad weather because all the camp spots are empty. I always ask myself how this would all work out in a rain or snow storm. Those end panels get folded inside, so any snow, rain or ice that is on them goes inside. Similar problems with RTTs. There are many other design elements on cool campers that leave me shaking my head. Fold down steps like on the Earthcruiser GZL and other similar campers with door panels that are steps, have that cool moon lander look; but where do they think all the mud, snow and rain that will get on those steps will go when they are closed :rolleyes:? Sometimes I just wonder whether the people that design things ever actually use them.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
""Sometimes I just wonder whether the people that design things ever actually use them.""

Looking at their blog it appears these folks use their camper a LOT!

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Brilliant design and great execution! Love it.

"Sometimes I just wonder whether the people that design things ever actually use them."

I think this is less the issue than the fact that all camper designs are compromises. For instance, these guys probably made a decision that occasionally brushing snow off the walls before breaking it down and getting some water inside was an okay trade-off compared to the disadvantages of other designs such as a soft-side pop-up or a non pop-up. Other people with different camping styles might make other compromises.

I think all small campers have to deal with the fact that moisture, mud, snow, etc. will get inside one way or the other.

It appears that what they built has an amazingly high degree of all-season functionality while also being very compact and light weight.

Shredgnar

I think brushing snow off is a small price to pay for having a nice, insulated area to hang out while it is set up. I have a buddy who has a slide out camper that has the same problem, he now knows that he has to brush off the top before pulling it in.

I'd love to have one of these on my F150. If there was a production model I'd be all over it.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I'd love to have one of these on my F150. If there was a production model I'd be all over it.
Once I get setup I can build you one out the same materials of my proto. They are poly coated so it helps with waterproofing and water shedding.
Kevin

robert

Expedition Leader
I think brushing snow off is a small price to pay for having a nice, insulated area to hang out while it is set up. I have a buddy who has a slide out camper that has the same problem, he now knows that he has to brush off the top before pulling it in.

I agree, any pop up style camper is a compromise but having insulated walls that don't make noise in the wind is a definitely bonus. When I replaced the tent in my Westy I got the fabric a bit tighter than I should have but even still it made noise in the wind and I wasn't keen on popping the top when I was really cold or snowing.

I'd have preferred vertical sides as well since it'd provide a larger sleeping area but I'm larger than those two youngsters and I tend to roll around in my sleep. I still give them an "A" on their project though!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I applaud anyone who dives in and creates something. It seems to go up and down real easy, that's a win in my book.

Raul

Adventurer
Great execution and space usage.

I've been toying with the idea of something like this for my van for very long time.

PHeller

Adventurer
Quick question about this build:

I assume he just matched most of the structure tubing to what Century built the original canopy with. Which would probably .080 or .050 T6 1x1 tubing.

What is the minimum sized welder that could be used for such a project?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles