Herbie's Chevy Astrolander/ZMB Build Thread

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Nothing so exotic!

So far, I've fitted the 22-687HD springs (the 1750lb rated version of the S10/Bravada/Blazer springs I was running previously - uprated from 1350lbs), and added a riser to the bump stop. However the new HD spring pack is thicker than the OEM spring-mounting clamshell accommodates, so now I'm working on a new U-bolt solution. Stay tuned for deets.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
While I'm waiting for the weekend to arrive, so I can get back to the pick-n-pull for more parts to play with, I can do a quickie update on a few other things:

1) On-Board Air Update

A while back I'd gone through the effort of fabbing up some brackets so I could sling a viair tank under the slider-door sill area. Once I realized how heavy my rig had gotten and started questioning all my life choices, I bagged that part of the project. I DID, however, follow through on mounting a compressor. I have been using a Viair 400p for ~9 years, and found it to be more than adequate for my ~30" tires. A few years back, I'd scored a good deal on a used 400c (the fixed-mount version) at a gear swap. The clean-up to the water-system in September 2020 unlocked easier access to the little cubby in the right-rear corner where the factory scissor jack originally stowed, and I wanted to use that space to mount the compressor. It's out of the dust and moisture, but also out of the way, and if I leave the factory jack cover off, there's more than enough ventilation.

Popping out the little "oddments tray" at the top of the trim panel also gives easy access to the area from above, making it relatively easy to service things, once I'd rerouted the factory harness that normally clips to the outside panel:
ACtC-3dRLxZqeOdkg13Fq6fX4WBm8ImHKrC3dFro17RyRb4f9x8ux7Uxb_YZ1I3EdR5Zu-aNc6QHJMko6HSk8OcLyXQmRy0VASNnRm5CaubNTvQ9EaO1t-2et1KWManZsUK3JUuBbAEaHFejthCF0VeZxHZ-ow=w600

As I said, ventilation in that area is pretty good, but I saw that Viair offers a mounting kit that includes a pancake fan to help keep the motor cool. I thought that was a good enough idea to adapt for myself from a surplus 12v PC fan:
ACtC-3e56no2t8MzV0gmJp0e1nBaqDDpZKOL9egYP5Z9dM12MZgrHpyXV_ZFKG7Eiyl_D_kn8HYYoS6IGikHQZp9VtyuW7XtkqyAg7zfR1QYU5Uvr-1Pk5-nhN978CGml7OpirAjXQ4xLhnGDKlMXu0YLtUIIg=w600

Next I needed a little control and mounting panel for my air chuck:
ACtC-3cN42S40lyrxb8pudLlGqZ8duyl1XBtQ0GQDFdcopJks6-ViTUgBjvsDBlEQWGmjqB6CGBYuXXoS4lkUdBJ1qCgpFaI1i0HzVJoTGZ19LQqtjZ6T0NWOzT4_pPS3n826fmkR-J8bTPx-bLUkQv1XuSfrg=w600

The panel mounts to the edge of my cabinet along that cubby and makes it quick and easy to connect the air line and turn on the system. The fan and relay coil are powered by an unused factory accessory wire in that corner (originally intended as a 20A supply to the trailer wiring harness, I believe). A separate power wire for the relay to the compressor was run from my accessory fuse block.

ACtC-3d7afbryDPpc0CxuyRLuY0BKAVTJSjA_dtb8KqQcbYSmkLcW27He1lzqF9CEm3mD938BKsL6wmzX0izLKsvLcWNz9hP6UeHZNXXWiVuAZyQHd3O6Osil6utUFawoJBUMKHD7GXO99O839AX7owjRqpMVw=w600

Since I'm running this system tankless, I'm using a relatively low pressure switch (70on-100off) and I've setup my refill hose with an inline regulator set to the desired tire pressure. This is an idea shamelessly stolen from this thread. I can just clip it on to the tire and let it run. When the tire hits the target pressure, the backpressure from the regulator lets the air line get to 100psi and the compressor shuts off. Move to the next tire, and repeat.
I am THRILLED with how much faster it is to air up at the end of the trail. About half the time spent previously was to unlock the rear cargo box, unpack the portable compressor from the bag, pop the hood and connect the power clips to the battery, etc. etc. etc. Now I can just pop open the rear doors, plug in the air hose and flip the switch, and I'm filling. The auto-shut-off also means I can spend that fill time walking around and looking for problems, instead of watching the gauge.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
2) Awning Bracket Upgrade

This one should have been pretty minor, but it turned out to be a surprising amount of work.

Ever since I harvested parts from the 1995 LuLu Island/GTRV back on page 3, (11 years ago.... sheesh), I'd been running the pair of "custom" awning brackets that had been fitted to that van. These were nothing more than a pair of 1/8" bits of steel plate bent into an "L" with the lower limb curved slightly to fit the contour of the van's roof:
ACtC-3fUjatIx_TJG15CyPPXnnCyir41W26rRG6bUzd_ANj9UVQcM_hHzmkTNDz1K3e3S6PlzBynALv7rRmLuDZ4S7_WzbRsDbK2Rbnqa80gjFYdDRVY2bsm607TNfdomqvGPC0cQLzkY_yuyqtSezCBRkXU9w=w600

On the donor van, these were literally just screwed to the van's roof with sheet-metal screws and covered in silicone. As a minor concession to safety, I fabbed some threaded backing plates to at least spread the load a bit.
These brackets mostly worked, and when I switched to an ARB awning in 2016, I was able to re-drill the brackets to just about get the awning high enough for the "bag" to clear the van's slider door. Things were also tight when opening/closing the passenger door if the awning was tilted downward at all, but I was at the top of the brackets.

Unfortunately, the "back rail" of the ARB mounting scheme is significantly less rigid over a long span versus the original hard-case "Norseman" awning, and so over the next few years it had sagged in the middle, and the outer cover of the ARB would occasionally catch in the slider. An upgrade was needed.

Step 1 was to fab new, taller brackets. I started with plenty of length to spare, and bent these using a combination of a makeshift bending jig and the bench-vise-and-hammer-and-swearing method. After getting things in-place I mocked up a straight edge and trimmed them to a height that solved my woes and also gave me a little margin for the future:

ACtC-3eIsU06p8tCuPVGr0FS4h3QfYJJ7KM951HdIewnc8NYKlrSvzPkkdaMU7m_XiZsYKP209R7s2U5RdDBzscuKtSIlAWO9FZO1tBTontcATtww1GhUDvJnHy2MSyt86vjLoWx459XL5TYemF5u0Z6j_p7MA=w600

Since these brackets have to sneak out "under" the bulb seal of the pop-top, they need to be as flat as possible, and cannot have any reinforcement to the "L" shape. As a concession to this detail, I made the new brackets a bit wider. More importantly, since sagging over the middle was the original issue, I added a third bracket for the span (and additional backing plates). Please admire the three differently-shaped-curved-Ells and appreciate what a pain in the ass these were. :D

ACtC-3dWiJOEza8ZB89B_bu_FI9bST8ITgeSrFxe8cUHTk_YzOGzrnbQSFIXjmiSiidM-7Qi6Wf2J0gBtFF5zWmnOeU2OLtTewXdrWjkzEZmtROfZGIbEmBA09TEOhuVdfkWYvpXQ3Xvbz0SGygi8KoDUx5Lmw=w600

Because of the contours of the roof, the backing plates were most easily made in strips to fit each roof segment. These were then given a strip of 3M VHB tape and pulled into place with some temporary studs. Once the tape had secured, I could re-fit the headliner without worrying about the plates dropping out of position.
ACtC-3csiINvGA1UIMCNGGrzJy2Bf_tidx_UTjt_rDsJIF4QKA0T4LWGt9QEldDIADwabjmWJu-V4YNrxV_bvMuD4N-winaYVuXFImBv6fRHDLzZ-SaQUrQ_UTpaW-_qrXdtgBGQADcM7CpV5qDFdgDVWfw25w=w600

Finally, after the brackets were painted, I cut some rubber sheet gaskets and bolted them down:
ACtC-3ewZYEXW75ayOpk1_lW2i3Xs6y-9nGugy5Eao7azqSZ1OGX1p_rVxiwBE9yds8iA5wyDHzbGhW7vsF4QoDHa6g7vyCON8WIoU_BJw-2yXbsh6VRinS6kPItC3h1CvJ1PxvGXWmCe3ApN75mGBz3K8pPtA=w600

Then it was just a matter of fitting new hardware into the ARB mounting track and getting 12 wobbly screws to line up with 12 holes and the awning was mounted:
ACtC-3cUbMFj-GPshKyajRGfFL0iHynIwv9Ze0QeyetboWo0GdJNTj0bK0tyBY-P_uPfijNVTVdBKYSmj58KiPkuXX84MBRR2qk3FRjUti9wVyJTW-vrOAZ_bauAdslAkVfh0571sIbUZV7qfMnMDwawoau3Xg=w600

Now everything hangs straight and has adequate clearance for both the slider and passenger door, no matter what angle the awning is deployed to.

WOODY2

Adventurer
While I'm waiting for the weekend to arrive, so I can get back to the pick-n-pull for more parts to play with, I can do a quickie update on a few other things:

1) On-Board Air Update

A while back I'd gone through the effort of fabbing up some brackets so I could sling a viair tank under the slider-door sill area. Once I realized how heavy my rig had gotten and started questioning all my life choices, I bagged that part of the project. I DID, however, follow through on mounting a compressor. I have been using a Viair 400p for ~9 years, and found it to be more than adequate for my ~30" tires. A few years back, I'd scored a good deal on a used 400c (the fixed-mount version) at a gear swap. The clean-up to the water-system in September 2020 unlocked easier access to the little cubby in the right-rear corner where the factory scissor jack originally stowed, and I wanted to use that space to mount the compressor. It's out of the dust and moisture, but also out of the way, and if I leave the factory jack cover off, there's more than enough ventilation.

Popping out the little "oddments tray" at the top of the trim panel also gives easy access to the area from above, making it relatively easy to service things, once I'd rerouted the factory harness that normally clips to the outside panel:
ACtC-3dRLxZqeOdkg13Fq6fX4WBm8ImHKrC3dFro17RyRb4f9x8ux7Uxb_YZ1I3EdR5Zu-aNc6QHJMko6HSk8OcLyXQmRy0VASNnRm5CaubNTvQ9EaO1t-2et1KWManZsUK3JUuBbAEaHFejthCF0VeZxHZ-ow=w600

As I said, ventilation in that area is pretty good, but I saw that Viair offers a mounting kit that includes a pancake fan to help keep the motor cool. I thought that was a good enough idea to adapt for myself from a surplus 12v PC fan:
ACtC-3e56no2t8MzV0gmJp0e1nBaqDDpZKOL9egYP5Z9dM12MZgrHpyXV_ZFKG7Eiyl_D_kn8HYYoS6IGikHQZp9VtyuW7XtkqyAg7zfR1QYU5Uvr-1Pk5-nhN978CGml7OpirAjXQ4xLhnGDKlMXu0YLtUIIg=w600

Next I needed a little control and mounting panel for my air chuck:
ACtC-3cN42S40lyrxb8pudLlGqZ8duyl1XBtQ0GQDFdcopJks6-ViTUgBjvsDBlEQWGmjqB6CGBYuXXoS4lkUdBJ1qCgpFaI1i0HzVJoTGZ19LQqtjZ6T0NWOzT4_pPS3n826fmkR-J8bTPx-bLUkQv1XuSfrg=w600

The panel mounts to the edge of my cabinet along that cubby and makes it quick and easy to connect the air line and turn on the system. The fan and relay coil are powered by an unused factory accessory wire in that corner (originally intended as a 20A supply to the trailer wiring harness, I believe). A separate power wire for the relay to the compressor was run from my accessory fuse block.

ACtC-3d7afbryDPpc0CxuyRLuY0BKAVTJSjA_dtb8KqQcbYSmkLcW27He1lzqF9CEm3mD938BKsL6wmzX0izLKsvLcWNz9hP6UeHZNXXWiVuAZyQHd3O6Osil6utUFawoJBUMKHD7GXO99O839AX7owjRqpMVw=w600

Since I'm running this system tankless, I'm using a relatively low pressure switch (70on-100off) and I've setup my refill hose with an inline regulator set to the desired tire pressure. I can just clip it on to the tire and let it run. When the tire hits the target pressure, the backpressure from the regulator lets the air line get to 100psi and the compressor shuts off. Move to the next tire, and repeat.
I am THRILLED with how much faster it is to air up at the end of the trail. About half the time spent previously was to unlock the rear cargo box, unpack the portable compressor from the bag, pop the hood and connect the power clips to the battery, etc. etc. etc. Now I can just pop open the rear doors, plug in the air hose and flip the switch, and I'm filling. The auto-shut-off also means I can spend that fill time walking around and looking for problems, instead of watching the gauge.
Rock solid mod, Kudos for watching your weight. Seems as though many don't.

WOODY2

Adventurer
2) Awning Bracket Upgrade

This one should have been pretty minor, but it turned out to be a surprising amount of work.

Ever since I harvested parts from the 1995 LuLu Island/GTRV back on page 3, (11 years ago.... sheesh), I'd been running the pair of "custom" awning brackets that had been fitted to that van. These were nothing more than a pair of 1/8" bits of steel plate bent into an "L" with the lower limb curved slightly to fit the contour of the van's roof:
ACtC-3fUjatIx_TJG15CyPPXnnCyir41W26rRG6bUzd_ANj9UVQcM_hHzmkTNDz1K3e3S6PlzBynALv7rRmLuDZ4S7_WzbRsDbK2Rbnqa80gjFYdDRVY2bsm607TNfdomqvGPC0cQLzkY_yuyqtSezCBRkXU9w=w600

On the donor van, these were literally just screwed to the van's roof with sheet-metal screws and covered in silicone. As a minor concession to safety, I fabbed some threaded backing plates to at least spread the load a bit.
These brackets mostly worked, and when I switched to an ARB awning in 2016, I was able to re-drill the brackets to just about get the awning high enough for the "bag" to clear the van's slider door. Things were also tight when opening/closing the passenger door if the awning was tilted downward at all, but I was at the top of the brackets.

Unfortunately, the "back rail" of the ARB mounting scheme is significantly less rigid over a long span versus the original hard-case "Norseman" awning, and so over the next few years it had sagged in the middle, and the outer cover of the ARB would occasionally catch in the slider. An upgrade was needed.

Step 1 was to fab new, taller brackets. I started with plenty of length to spare, and bent these using a combination of a makeshift bending jig and the bench-vise-and-hammer-and-swearing method. After getting things in-place I mocked up a straight edge and trimmed them to a height that solved my woes and also gave me a little margin for the future:

ACtC-3eIsU06p8tCuPVGr0FS4h3QfYJJ7KM951HdIewnc8NYKlrSvzPkkdaMU7m_XiZsYKP209R7s2U5RdDBzscuKtSIlAWO9FZO1tBTontcATtww1GhUDvJnHy2MSyt86vjLoWx459XL5TYemF5u0Z6j_p7MA=w600

Since these brackets have to sneak out "under" the bulb seal of the pop-top, they need to be as flat as possible, and cannot have any reinforcement to the "L" shape. As a concession to this detail, I made the new brackets a bit wider. More importantly, since sagging over the middle was the original issue, I added a third bracket for the span (and additional backing plates). Please admire the three differently-shaped-curved-Ells and appreciate what a pain in the ass these were. :D

ACtC-3dWiJOEza8ZB89B_bu_FI9bST8ITgeSrFxe8cUHTk_YzOGzrnbQSFIXjmiSiidM-7Qi6Wf2J0gBtFF5zWmnOeU2OLtTewXdrWjkzEZmtROfZGIbEmBA09TEOhuVdfkWYvpXQ3Xvbz0SGygi8KoDUx5Lmw=w600

Because of the contours of the roof, the backing plates were most easily made in strips to fit each roof segment. These were then given a strip of 3M VHB tape and pulled into place with some temporary studs. Once the tape had secured, I could re-fit the headliner without worrying about the plates dropping out of position.
ACtC-3csiINvGA1UIMCNGGrzJy2Bf_tidx_UTjt_rDsJIF4QKA0T4LWGt9QEldDIADwabjmWJu-V4YNrxV_bvMuD4N-winaYVuXFImBv6fRHDLzZ-SaQUrQ_UTpaW-_qrXdtgBGQADcM7CpV5qDFdgDVWfw25w=w600

Finally, after the brackets were painted, I cut some rubber sheet gaskets and bolted them down:
ACtC-3ewZYEXW75ayOpk1_lW2i3Xs6y-9nGugy5Eao7azqSZ1OGX1p_rVxiwBE9yds8iA5wyDHzbGhW7vsF4QoDHa6g7vyCON8WIoU_BJw-2yXbsh6VRinS6kPItC3h1CvJ1PxvGXWmCe3ApN75mGBz3K8pPtA=w600

Then it was just a matter of fitting new hardware into the ARB mounting track and getting 12 wobbly screws to line up with 12 holes and the awning was mounted:
ACtC-3cUbMFj-GPshKyajRGfFL0iHynIwv9Ze0QeyetboWo0GdJNTj0bK0tyBY-P_uPfijNVTVdBKYSmj58KiPkuXX84MBRR2qk3FRjUti9wVyJTW-vrOAZ_bauAdslAkVfh0571sIbUZV7qfMnMDwawoau3Xg=w600

Now everything hangs straight and has adequate clearance for both the slider and passenger door, no matter what angle the awning is deployed to.
It's truly the 'small' details that are setting your build apart. Bending those compound mounts is amazing and as long as you still have all your fingers intact you're ahead.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
So aside from a few COVID-projects to optimize a couple parts of the van, things have been pretty stable/reliable for a while. After a particularly hard push at the day job, I took advantage of a free day to take a solo overnighter up to one of my favorite areas in the San Bernardino National Forest. Access is via a pretty good FS road, but there are a few spots where the graded dirt gives way to a vein of rock poking through the terrain.
AM-JKLViQIJ-vDy9DKH52o1OdS6V4_xjeannNcHuzS2BYSCNcU_P_24RLHwSS5BaUR9diyrV0kyDQj6RirVgp_rdYlmIzG8F7R1F9E6cZeYw-o16W0NBup0M2iXuzV8mfTq8-jRBY_bJyyhEPlKsv88cdToDKQ=w600

Coming down after a great night of photography and relaxation, I was feeling pretty good - and maybe not crawling quite as slowly as I should have been. Dropping the rear end off of the "step" formed by one of these rock veins, I heard a pretty significant clunk from behind me. Upon inspection, I found that I'd sheared the shaft of one of the rear shocks:
AM-JKLUnj0pp--S_686E9qFVKC-12SXQwUdetwLl0olA5_vtU_s7f-d9e_XGEfr9xcBnmlIxaTmwnwyoJxCc9p2bD-woGeglCVS_Q7LKCDqCFkyw06HXIKFBdmw0qpc5PK3pSRGuHkKH4roiKS1V8wjCIlYChg=w600

Once freed from the upper mount, the shock flopped over to rub against the muffler - hence the melted boot. I also severely bent the upper mounting bolt (single shear), such that it had to be cut out in order to replace it.

After a little time spent taking measurements and thinking about the failure mode, it became pretty clear that what likely happened was that I over-compressed the rear suspension without appropriate bump-protection, and something had to give. I'm honestly surprised it hadn't happened sooner - the rear of my van is VERY heavy (right at or just over the 3100lbs GAWR), and the S-10 springs (1350lbs rated) were over-loaded. This had led to them sagging over time. Combined with the relocated shock tabs (which move the lower mount point up, and OEM bump-stop height, this created a condition where the reduced neutral suspension height was such that with a big compressive moment (such as coming down off a bump with all the weight of the ass-end) could get the ride height shorter than the minimum length of the shock. I had been noting that the suspension was riding low, so it was entirely stupid that I didn't address this sooner.

Needless to say, more than a replacement shock was in-order.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
As I'd already noted the sagging springs, uprated 22-687HD springs (same eye-to-eye and arch, but with an extra leaf, rated to 1750lbs) had already been ordered and were sitting in my garage. These were fitted, and I also fabbed a set of 3" risers for the OEM bump-stops:
AM-JKLXBQeaMZmQaxWgZkQN0_Pk_nauGj26-16aIl2fXm5PWdu4ZbvQrlT_DHKHMOSnt1vRH-sGsQ6nPOnSC4wKiZYnGjwpWSY_HIKAcuHzhun01YFgxjs_i-Jsese3C9YDwgnFKSuHw8QIPOBaeSSMJGwVE8Q=w500

Combined with the more appropriate spring rates, I was now back at my intended lifted-height, but found that GM's OEM clamshell arrangement for fixing the springs to the axle didn't easily accommodate the thicker 4+1 spring pack:
AM-JKLWn7Jy6h9Ks9meQBcX0tRndM7Do4h5QdYeAcQFgG85LHZfIPm-AE8b2NBEOglgJYaAtuzwK9CEkruEwBmdv_upd9xrfVX2ypjRvBAHfBmbfyIB0KJGPRQPybSELAs4oELwZ8cakNcO_u0fZy9cr9QgFZw=w600

The upper clamshell half is supposed to meet the lower. While I had sufficient bolt-thread through the nut, the tension there was flexing the 1/8" steel of the upper clamshell in a way that didn't inspire confidence. Some folks have stacked washers or a spacer into that gap, but I also disliked that the studs coming up from the tube bracket were so short that it was very difficult to get things "started", so I went looking for a better solution.

The tricky thing is that in the original design, the top of the spring pack operates pretty close to the "rail" in the rear body. Upward-facing U-bolts will definitely interfere with suspension movement. Instead, I adapted a solution I've seen on other Astros with a thicker spring pack:

0FMu4u-7U7UNtXIeNBQb1pzfP0eQZ2C-X-3fUdIx5HrWbUNd6DzhCvis1wbJQ0FCY9hSKJKWGH_Yz-oCfUKb274KJ_-C8OtocefSexLC6FCDHGcCJ915No7BT5FBnqC3cPfJlmI7M_9igNsTee_GtCLAApHKqBoXDHKNo6tSbp8JgrDt8esMrCDD19bLu4i5eYKxmWEJNJaDDmhSzORu-TTn0vg2Q4bWOZw-WrJe8-1ZthXPNRdY4uyaC-JY78sdEhruTCgUXwmwpI2vZ25QARYtsVBmx3Gh26JmVKpMd3Bc-84XIxLHQ5Cmg_adv1BjGkKaCYvBvfXM1asARaHd1n3-l3V3VyDNZvFcvESjKJmGS8Tb1M4JToE8TUlgvDxCx6NMWI6X9RZCzUBb-_1W1ZTVJAWdmG_EXHIlGXjQHi6DhpUFAFM_LxDhB2t7sx-a82_D7vLJPuVJlANtUj32YXaCoLoAbVv8t2xofuZQ2SnOO3BBc-oZx9wRcNPY28qJWG3nf0mgZUeYJIiAxQHdbaj4JkaPZ2IA3XldML-L4tK5PL-Ao-q2JOHZ_SVReBykjC1s6Ra6cly6FVD1ac9nZfcoD04BBw4f1vA65EnBo4YUq9NyPm7CYLkxMKlfFWrJ3Ie2DNaxVu3uWuatWxqVzz118SHdyVHV5RpMksvje7EZbJlIOIqy9Y2HXjgE17TQ8q-yvAnPRvDbgrC6XCfkkDNrMw=w600

I did not want to modify my original hardware since I wanted to be able to reverse this if it didn't work out, so I started at the junkyard and picked up another pair of upper clamshells and TWO pairs of the lower axle brackets with the studs.

A little time with a cutoff wheel was needed to remove the studs from the tube brackets and to clearance the upper clamshells for the U-bolts:
AM-JKLVz3UEUBRGTKbF_enWRLgq5F_VnTMpd0XMPjdCkl9t8KAjStw29sZyMPqGodEjQK7iwKOpFc5b8tBzG4wACy75F9azZxRPwoPBq8u7EM2nQLrVXrGQvDGZwa4oaRKRbv25arePqAGDl4lDg7qMktLIyzg=w400
AM-JKLVoyVZF6X9orSitxGKososEu6SKFR7VUjyAm1lk_VznaimooBDfdL8i3mHJwwiAPtvhf2YMNnOyiqylet7Z8Y35Lf7oKn4efjj5AQIHmaDcW1s349Bo5jTaJiOSCmCAuoXjnkqOo1hhWMsA7SP8scpdvw=w400
AM-JKLXI23xUKDFWKnU4-DAUWB4FeXZy5be9PQWfuWj3_7pcxND_IYCbP55wUEnvXlCeomt0OmRHpKrtSC4UnM0G0_xik-aIvePp38PA_sJCxRy3Gm4Olg-TWiZ71C7o9PiRSmXb2rvtcL2sk8caqy5abZYcUA=w400

Due to how my weekend schedules worked out, I had done all this prep work on these brackets a few weeks in advance. When it came time to actually install everything on the van, it was pretty much a bolt-on operation. Is this what it's like for the Jeep guys who just buy everything off the shelf? Child's play!

SKtRhT9UixUP0Cn_1-5d8jaDfExdlHeBfkPv0Ye0IRaawBNvvvGbwMF69FvgkWS2UT86Zq1zOObPhYyc9Ul3zFgQ9UvGZGbjtX3vDLabvxOFUXNrFknFdC9AgbydkGGIeAJ7MHw0ERZMJ9LH9lnmvsp4zjbaWyjMdrGXPkupKigdxr06Yn9SgedI7PpnxvVSiKz2mBSM5JbQ7I-arO9YcHb73Om612PrNCjXfD_50pYYsjJr_VzY8x5jUi1CA2FZdZQhfTzvGQRYxJInHIOUu2EOihefyVUcsz4UuA1P5O6E6LqMi_0o87H3KE9vm_LrOXBPDPKg339zhTTE7zS_7fFhWBV8Bs2q880FByiAC08JtjJGW_i12VaJvJg-C04k9sAaGPurazNtnBo-nF2cNCAF5s2t6Bno7nlzTA7LiXs8pkObvH-1pApskwr0WTUcfhNQFtrxRZ4ySjezrIPdKJCuXTMS5470-MsP_zirr2D1y0P2I776t8v7Fry1q4bjT0spD6FiA_KYA_Chcr3sC6Bnm4JXnXxv0iQw7F25dsbPGWCgUddT2mwt6A1k9zvYERornH8xMLyO2wev9BL48ilqyNglLKbzaT7XcB3HrDuuAjZ_zLgMenno62X9tzKSeFOFzZma1ZwmUj6b_2pePwdjFtXJ5jDHf_-cLdcUH5c6g_xroK-nzaatpFsjDQhqLbaqeAoZ5p7l-ieygtme0fyrdQ=w600

A few quick notes for any other Astro/Safari owners who may follow behind me:
  • At my local yard, there was one fairly late-model van (~2000) and one older van with the fiberglass leaf setup - I took the upper clamshell and lower tube brackets from the newer van (a match for mine), and the 2nd set of lower tube brackets from the older van.
  • I noticed that the fiber-leaf tube brackets are "shallower", so I put these on the inboard-side of the arrangement (left in the above photo) so that they wouldn't touch the lower-clamshell bracket that's fixed to the axle. With the stock leaf-pack, the lower bracket, lower clamshell, and upper clamshell all meet and you tighten the sandwich together. In this case, that won't work, and I didn't want the lower bracket pulling UP into the welded-part of the lower clamshell (and I didn't want to have to cut it off), so the "shallower" tube bracket worked out great.
  • The U-bolts are part #BT5-0111S from AutoAndTruckSprings.com - they're 9/16" diameter, 3-1/2" inside width, and 8-1/4" long
  • I could probably have got away with a slightly shorter bolt, but there's a lot of compression with the OEM rubber pads, so this made it easy to get the nuts started.
  • I probably didn't need 9/16" bolts, but from this supplier, those were the only parts with 3-1/2" inside spacing. If you find 1/2" or even smaller U-bolts from another supplier with the 3-1/2" spacing, that would let you install these without drilling out the brackets. The 3-1/2" spacing makes it possible to re-use the existing inboard bracket holes without having to slot or grind anything (other than enlarging the diameter of the holes with a drill).

I had one other side-effect from the new HD spring pack: with the same nominal +4 arch as the S-10 springs, but a more appropriate spring rate, I've got slightly deeper arch in the pack, and I got interference between the "rebound clip" and the exhaust pipe after the muffler. A torch and a couple of burly dudes at my local Midas sorted this out for a coffee-money sized tip:
AM-JKLUUPHfzMcEW9li8Rqm0zvaR0uS1bHgveSDMHN8SQ5SERCQmLq6o1P_JeUGhHdIg-VL0AIdzR-hQGgHCGE67_ypXomEWfq8m1piXBBzGqQNHANkIjJ-Fcnd-5E_2l-oamXKE6G7I59oPZnIO0C-iNmYevg=w400
AM-JKLVhnG0h2SC1SpO8f9MqKIzLXfYjeLIEvwOazKGWiLo6OIEgi161J1SNLIzzxi2SDhbGJ7gJ3AF0RYQX8ni2w1eJ5REg9eTLbbgoMM0EwwqcVzqa9U0e74QFbCz0VwKYiRVwr2JaVlksQXDCZ5Mtewd8Rw=w600

Last edited:

RandyP

Adventurer
Herbie,
If you had owned and used an '80 Jeep CJ7 in the '80's to 90's you could have developed the skills and experience you are using now. Pick-a-Part runs, Shade Tree mechanics, one banana, two banana and three banana projects were common then, before a jeep owner could go to the aftermarket parts house and just buy what he needed for the jeep. Welcome to the shade tree mechanics group. You did well.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
"Simplify, and add lightness" - Colin Chapman

It's not just for race car engineers, it's good for overlanders too.

My process of slashing weight off the van continues. By going through a bunch of small steps, I have been slowly eliminating or finding new homes for many of the items that I'd been keeping in the Pelican case I had mounted to the rack on the rear Dutch door:

Before:
AM-JKLXiByhDe8izTCF-W6cBev4LSm5QXRx6XCi2-0F4md9Q-t8vO1mGcCDXuPcbQfPc2VqkgsjcOPq_OCIkcq3YPaGSu1teREQtIEuCwbxZ_dVyIAj7eZIoG2x3yYDctgROBxiYX0m1-nazEYKAY7bfE5O5gQ=w600
AM-JKLVFE_2Fi2rrJi5Z10I5KN1MXNQt-pU0uUwcYxJb8rMgV0oofaFrTKCJmd-SQAIb8KvkjId99x93C_qXMvvIfv4r9oyUA2d6-Kp-4Axflt4Ev6bxb80uhCpg4ZhwNxJ2aBaF5Uraux6IcIcdT7jiGleYMQ=w600

That box held a Viair 400p compressor kit, leveling blocks, and entire recovery kit bag (which also included the tire repair kit and a whole mess of miscellaneous small spares, goops and greases.)

My Trasharoo then usually went over the top of that:
AM-JKLXEK5YF_q2fgyxAj1tsiCUOXdxPzYZf4HRv5ajkvumI4EdOzUhLLRoosASdOJ7ytvirXAscXpWNxGTm6g_w29FIO0jrG4dIBiVsAWe1Pkp6svI3fLd22AJQCTNtG1_hZI-Ur3SB6jPvgdfRL5nfGrCToQ=w600

In the end, between the trash bag and the padlock, it kind of made it a pain the ******** to access anything inside the box! Plus, the Pelican case weighed almost 17 pounds empty.

After:
AM-JKLU2Iad1QRioumAz2IpDEQrAh2Kkqmsy4PHc3sgWmQB_4AwKY7VdJz44lKpVQ5PC4PHrHTP3ORQvmyCAIdtoB1hYC3GkwvS-x4W2S7raE_5PEkMiywftnT9pPu4IyGq1pifcgQ2T2Jqhl5LmC164K92EsQ=w600
AM-JKLWfokISporMq4_qknq3ROleUWlO96K1o6FSS2V0efp2Y5bT3KEZWro4i-tSFjfqzgIASTYcfwff8qpzMpKjhZ9_K8KMLN3LOgrQmz_-8N8lv-lkJPpSaELJaTeZJDlBAdtETSGL6kuL_FU35DBbIFFf0Q=w600

This is the summation of a number of tiny projects:
  • I had already hollowed out the door interior for storing the leveling blocks back in 2018 - since they're literally the last thing I put away as we break camp, I was tired of having to unhitch my trash-bag and undo the padlock to put those back in the box.
  • I sewed some velcro to the back of a cheap zippered-mesh bag so I could stick my solar extension cable in an easy-to-reach spot.
  • I finally finished the OBA installation and put a Viair 400C into the factory jack cubby, eliminating the 400p and it's bag
  • I relocated a number of other small items and freed up room for the kinetic strap and soft-shackle in the door space
  • I thinned the tool kit and was able to relocate the rest of my "hard" recovery gear (Factor55 hitchlink, hard shackle, pins, etc.) to the removable underseat tool drawer.
Technically, I didn't need to relocate the jerry-can carrier back to the driver's side (where it had started many years ago), but having it on that side makes it a little easier to transfer the fuel, and it balances the rear door loads. It also provides just enough of a spacer to keep the trash bag from just sitting on the bumper. Relocating the small bit of table-mounting rail onto the passenger-side rack also gives me a better way to brace the leg on the bumper - I was right at the limit of being able to extend that leg to the ground previously!

All told, this set of mini-projects let me strip another ~30lbs off the van and eliminated several more "pain points" where getting things in/out was a hassle.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Herbie, since I have an AWD Astro myself, I was already a huge fan of your build. But now you’ve gone and quoted Colin Chapman and put it right over the top. I’m a Formula One addict!

When my Astro grows up it wants to be like yours. Your custom personal details are such nice touches and totally functional too. It’s like kaizen for the Astro. Kudos.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Weekend Projects

Replaced the broken passenger dash grab handle:

AM-JKLW7A3bZY6MBfOJm4ULmtUts1VGZjD69US6eX5XqWO5G9B2WEYrdTQ38q70HN-Rl5i9hSJE7sk-aID3vXuCe4nhNxiitlpcHo7-HvZPzsllKamwe_g3iVBu_lUyEra6oz8bTIQBcUZm-YCTy4Zs7IQrf8w=w600
AM-JKLU2FY-5Rnw1z8QE7NvoyCupqMoYCWj-xhnCp02bR5YW-L2nf5wlfeSfYNDSo3ZscAGk1omjpSZMHsNuHR5FS1_hPbnW-tCiLoC7tQ1XMVmHrWm-PnjOCuK-qfaJrfASGfH3ihfdB1-sqR6xnmtqBKnqng=w600

We don't usually use it for actually, you know, grabbing, but in its broken state it was rattling on the freeway and driving me nuts. I think it got cracked by swiveling the passenger seat into it while camping - I'll be careful not to repeat that.

The GM engineer who designed this part and the way it fits into the dashboard should be fired.

Out of a cannon.
Into the sun.

I am, by no means, the first to run into this issue, but the fact that replacing this easily-broken part involves disconnecting the battery, at least partially removing the doghouse, removing the lower kick panel and airbag, and a bunch of other screws, is frankly ludicrous. In the end, my tiny little 1/4" bit driver ratchet handle with a couple of short extensions proved very useful for getting to several fasteners behind the dash trim.

This video was most helpful:

One additional idea that didn't occur to me until I was just snugging things down: The left-side10mm bolt that secures the airbag is by far the least-accessible fastener in this operation. In the video, he removes several gold-colored screws at the yellow arrows (5.5mm or 7/32" nut driver required) to be able to get that heater box dropped partially out of the way. Instead, one could optionally drill a hole in the black inner dash material (roughly where I've placed the tip of the red arrow in the following photo) and go straight in with a 10mm nut driver, rather than trying to come up behind it in that tight space. That area will be covered by the kick panel, once replaced.
AM-JKLUx1dOAnD8p67EN1c8LNvZm4Z-wsMRFuAltafKvlkGj6gg7OF8K-XjcqAXJarDEQOcoCze8VCugDzLS1Khb2hTr_PaYXqAZUv38vPqf1KJQe0PDA17_MEvMZrtTVS8KF6vJOSvgMpL-SaVH64xLASPy5A=w600

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Weekend Projects, continued

In a previous tweak, I'd added a bit of table rail to the rack on the rear door. Being able to wedge the adjustable leg onto the bumper was fine, but it meant I couldn't access the rear of the van while the table was in use.

To fix this, I welded up a little drop bracket from some scrap C-channel. I was working so fast I forgot to photograph it before mounting - there's a hidden tab on the backside that keeps it square to the rack, even though it's only attached with a single bolt into a leftover mounting tab on the rack:

AM-JKLWH-P6qghkSS9sUUhTHJAmNdxQl5pH9xQy8qIBVsLvSrhagWzww5XhjTvxC38a3m71GcDYDkt0yJGBUmBlMxvLyqnmhI2WhlpobRbUUYg5z3KpLFZ1Ii2qsLHxLdrLLDZ8YzU6qTMF1U6LNHzP_1igK1w=w800

Now I can swing the door open while using the table. This is also very convenient relative to the awning - I can stand out of the sun without heat from a stove rising straight up into the canvas.
I'm going to experiment with a different packing scheme for my kitchen kit - with a little more work, I think I can completely eliminate the need to bring a separate kitchen/prep table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles