Hemi Wrangler or Gladiator or both?

Charles R

Adventurer
For what it's worth...

Back when the gladiator was making all the news, there was an interview with a Jeep engineer. In that interview he said the fundamental problem with a V8 in the wrangler was crash performance. IIRC, it was specifically pedestrian safety regulations that the extra length of the V8 made practically impossible, given the size and shape of the grill/hood/ and compartment size available.

Of course, at the time, there was nothing in the market that could possibly put a dent in wrangler sales. Things often change when real competition steps into the ring.

D

Deleted member 9101

Jeep will have to do a loooot of work to cram a V8 in a Wrangler...all to have Ford change the tune and turbos on the 2.7 and still win the performance game.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yup, competition is a VERY good thing. If we're lucky something will force FCA to bring down the price on the JL and JT too!

-Dan

The Bronco coming out, might be the best thing to happen to Jeep and 4runner fans in a long time. It's going to force them to listen to us, and try some more aggressive designs. LR will most likely bow out and make more station wagons.

Jeep doesn't need a v8. But I'm not goong to complain if they pull it off. A GM GW 383 in a custom YJ is priceless. But I'm not going to tow anything with one. Make me a bulletproof, small turbo V6, with a manual trans and monstrous axle gears.. No cam rocker nom nom, nonsense. V6's have been the kings of power for a while now. Lose the hybrid junk until super capacitors are viable.

The other elephant in Jeeps deck of cards. Dana 60's cost nothing more than the Dana 44's.

Was looking at the ''pedestrian safety'' of my Super Duty a few seconds ago. The bumper will completely remove your legs, but the grill is like a giant squishy bean bag. So you might have a point there.

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Nothing funnier than this. Jeep is a lil scared and i see the hemi concept being exactly that. A concept without real production.

As a jeep diehard myself and have been for years, all I know is the Bronco has came up in discussions in my house the last few days. Wife never previously went online to spec out the GC trailhawk she wanted and yet she tells me an hour after the unveil that she wants to part ways with her beloved GC for a 4door Badlands w/ Sasquatch & Lux packages. If only the Bronco could tow more than 3500lbs. We use the trailhawk as one of our two vehicles for the 3400lb offroad camper, so that leaves my LJ wrangler (cant tow that much) and my ‘17 f150 3.5EB which I love but rather not take it every trip because there are some trails that Id like to have the shorter wheelbase on.

Bobzdar

Observer
Am I the only one who isn't remotely interested in this? It'll add pretty much zero capability and suck a bunch more fuel. Pentastar for simplicity and diesel if you need extended range. Hemi doesn't get you anything as it's not like even the base engine is under powered. This will just consume fuel, break parts and for what?

What's next - hemi v8, dana60's to handle it and pretty soon you're just driving a power wagon with different skin that weighs 6000lbs and sucks fuel at 13mpg for no real reason as it can't tow or haul any more without changing the frame and grill for cooling....I'll pass.

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

She have a sister? Pics?

You really have the Patriot maxxed out already?

No sister sorry lol. Yes, the patriot has pretty much every option available and that 3400lbs includes all the additional mods Ive made, gear, food, diesel and both water tanks full.

billiebob

AEV's official line so far is they won''t be doing HEMI kits for the JL or the JT because there are already enough engine options
This does say it all. If AEV is shying from doing a hemi kit....... there is a reason. Altho I think the hemi is more of a fringe market than just adding the locker and 35s option to all JLs, I remember the horsepower wars from the 1960s, I doubt anyone wants to go there. V8 Bronco. Hemi JT I doubt either will happen even if they are just plug in options. I think we are beyond V8s today. V8s are all about spin.

On price, fringe can drive price down, competition for a fringe item tho drives price up. You wanted a Wrangler, there is only one Wrangler choice, Wrangler is a fringe, niche item, it competes with main stream items. Once there are two fringe items they are competing with each other. Suddenly the main stream choices are irrelevant. Two choices, you feel good, they both add $10K and you still feel good. You end up deciding on solid axle vs IFS. Whose top is easier to take off. Price is only between those 2 choices.............. Until Chevy adds a real Blazer and Toyota builds a real FJ........... at that point they are competing only with each other and the sky is the limit on price since they just created thier own market........... and none of them will offer a V8.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Sean P Holman from Motor Trend just said, on the record, that the V8 Wrangler is absolutely coming.
It's not just a concept, it's really coming as an option.

He was on the development program for the JL, and the Bronco.
If he says it, I believe that's as good as the real thing.

(towards the bottom)

-Dan

Charles R

Adventurer
If AEV says they're not doing a V8, then I'll believe FCA doing it is real.
One of the things said in the interview I saw was that they had no reason to do it, because of the aftermarket/AEV option. So the only real reason for AEV not to develop it, is if FCA told them they were going to do it in house.

GB_Willys_2014

Am I the only one who isn't remotely interested in this? It'll add pretty much zero capability and suck a bunch more fuel. Pentastar for simplicity and diesel if you need extended range. Hemi doesn't get you anything as it's not like even the base engine is under powered. This will just consume fuel, break parts and for what?

What's next - hemi v8, dana60's to handle it and pretty soon you're just driving a power wagon with different skin that weighs 6000lbs and sucks fuel at 13mpg for no real reason as it can't tow or haul any more without changing the frame and grill for cooling....I'll pass.
Personally, I agree 100%.

Assuming my next vehicle is a Stellantis (simply awful, awful name ... the responsible marketing genius should be ashamed) Jeep product, I too will stick with the 3.6 engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles