HEMA Explorer North America

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
What tablet & specs are you using? Just so others know.

Both of my Android tablets worked without a flaw, so I think with Android it is very dependent on hardware.

bigskypylot

Explorer
finally got my SD card feature to work with the new update and showing mph & miles...unfortunately i had to reinstall the app to make anything work...this lost me two huge tracks that i still am unhappy about...luckily i know the route in my head still and do hope to revisit many of the areas in the coming years...

couple things....

1. i have preferred the US - Thunderforest Outdoor map, it seems most of the time i have to run a zoom of 14-15 in order to see the features and trails that i need to see...these maps do get fairly large when you're downloading a full state of detail....
- what have people been using for their preferred maps? do you typically have to run zoom levels 14-15 to see the detail needed for your trips?

2. shane, next project...enable the ability to download maps on the cloud to our account so we may sync the maps on our device...another nice feature would be to see the current map downloads on the main map maybe as an outline so we can quickly see what areas we do not have covered...also, on the map information page, include what zoom level the map download was set to...

What new update? I don't see anything for Android and don't see a path for my SD card?

PabloM

Hi Shane, Pablo here. What's the advance in maps in Mexico? I live here and been wanting to try something different from MotionX GPS. But the info for the data available for Mexico Mapping is quite short.

Cheers!

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Shane, Pablo here. What's the advance in maps in Mexico? I live here and been wanting to try something different from MotionX GPS. But the info for the data available for Mexico Mapping is quite short.

Cheers!

Hi Pablo,
We're still working on a good source for MX layers beyond OpenStreetMap data. We found one but the outrageous monthly licensing fee makes it impossible to use. Thanks for your interest, hopefully we'll find a good data source soon!

PabloM

Hi Pablo,
We're still working on a good source for MX layers beyond OpenStreetMap data. We found one but the outrageous monthly licensing fee makes it impossible to use. Thanks for your interest, hopefully we'll find a good data source soon!

Thanks Shane, keep me updated please. One question. Was the outrageous fee from e32 map, the source that I recommended? Or is there another one in Mexico?

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
It was from a different source. They've sold their maps to Lowrance and apparently they think Thousands per month is a good fee. =)

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Shane,

Can you comment on the state of the maps for Canada? Reviews are not favourable and state that Canada maps are not downloadable, and that the available Canada maps are useless to the point that they may as well not exist.

These reviews, this thread, and the fact that there has been only a single patch since release, add up to provide a rather uncompelling arguement for purchasing this app. The fact that Mexico and Canada are claimed by users to be essentially unsupported in your "North America" app is disturbing.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Is there any plan to have North America on a HN7? I am enjoying the app but would love to have a dedicated off-road nav unit.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Brian,
Unfortunately for Hema the thousands of happy users don't usually write reviews on the app store, so we end up with a few unhappy users that write bad reviews. Most have not asked for help, and those that have are greeted with my smiling virtual face, and usually get the help they need.

While I won't rehash everything on this thread, I'll try to help with your questions about Canada:
-Enabling the Canada maps is easy, and instructions are in this video:
--http://hema.li/mlvid

You can also download any of the Canada maps (Either topo to Zoom 15 or street to Zoom 13) just like any other layer.
I'm not from Canada so I can't comment on how useful the maps are. The topo look very similar to our USGS topo, so I think they're probably pretty good =)

Also, I've complained about only 1 app update in a year, and while they understand North America users are used to seeing more updates, they just don't have the resources for weekly/monthly updates. I can assure you that they've not abandoned anything, and more great things are coming. =)

Hope this helps!

Shane,

Can you comment on the state of the maps for Canada? Reviews are not favourable and state that Canada maps are not downloadable, and that the available Canada maps are useless to the point that they may as well not exist.

These reviews, this thread, and the fact that there has been only a single patch since release, add up to provide a rather uncompelling arguement for purchasing this app. The fact that Mexico and Canada are claimed by users to be essentially unsupported in your "North America" app is disturbing.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
I WISH they would, but as of right now the NA stuff will remain app only. Luckily, it's possible to put together a nice package with either an early gen iPad or a really nice Android tablet for less than $500. I can provide links if you like?

Is there any plan to have North America on a HN7? I am enjoying the app but would love to have a dedicated off-road nav unit.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Now that Delorme is owned by Garmin are there plans to make available the Garmin maps for the Delorme devices? I have this dream that the E32 topo map will become compatible with Delorme Devices one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz