help with wheels on trailer build

wmshay6

been reading and getting inspired by some of the builds here. i am currently working on a restomod of a SPEN trailer. my question concerns the wheels. i plan to replace the axle with a new one from dexter and want to use 17" wheels off of a JK wrangler to match my jeep.

the hubs on all of the axles that I look at are 2"+ in diameter but the center of my wheels is only 1 7/8". i know it can be done because I've seen it. so how are people fitting wrangler wheels onto their trailers? the idea is to match the jeep for spare tire purposes.

wmshay6

Thought about that. Existing axle is 5 x 4.5. I need 5x5. I've found some adapters but none in 2". Would hate to buy a new axle that is 5x5 AND have to buy spacers too when I could just spec that axle the correct width in the first place. Of course if I could find 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters in 2" thickness that would work OK. Not sure that isn't getting a little too thick though.

protohyp

Adventurer
are you talking about hub bore diameter being 2" and needing to fill the 1/8" gap to make the wheels be hub centric? apologize if i've way off subject but since I ordered my axles yesterday the hub bore on the wheels i got are bigger than the hub on the dexter brakes so all the weight of the trailer would be sitting on lugs and not on the hub. I think theres a little controversy here on whether thats okay or not but me personally I will be getting wheel hub spacers to fill that gap as I think it also helps keep the wheel aligned to the hub. again correct me if i'm wrong and not answering the question you may be asking but I think some hub adapters have the center bore match the hub bore that you need so it acts like a spacer and adapts 5x4.5 to 5x5

protohyp

Adventurer
guess I wasn't thinking in reverse where the dexter doesn't fit in your 1 7/8" wheel center bore for the jeep but I think they still make adapters that make the hubs hub centric if that matters to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94