Help with tire selection

kayadog

Adventurer
I have a brand new 2015 JK Unlimited Sport, bone stock except for automatic transmission. I want to replace the 225/75r16 tires this weekend to take advantage of the Discount Tire Direct Labor Day sale. I am going to keep the stock 16" steel rims and don't plann on lifting for a few years and don't want to run spacers. I'm torn between P265/75r16 Hankook ATM's (39lbs) and General Grabber AT2 LT 285/75r16 D range (about 57lbs.-- different weights listed on different sites). I've used both tires in the past on my Liberty and liked them both. The Hankooks are on sale for $401 and the Grabbers are $511 for all 4 delivered. I'd like to go with the bigger tires but I'm concerned the 18 addition pounds and extra size will have too many negative consequences. I never had an issue with damaging the SL rated tires on my Liberty, so I'm not concerned that the Hankooks are P rated. Do any JK owners have any suggestions? Thanks!

jpat30

Adventurer
I would honestly go with the Grabbers; I have never been a fan of putting P rated tires on 4X4s; just my opinion. The additional weight is not going to make or break anything on your rig infact you probably wont even realize its there. Once again just my .02. Good luck with your decision.

ThaCrabapple

You might notice that weight, but P tires get ripped to shreds on even the smallest rocks.

I have the Grabber AT2s on my F-150 and they are extremely durable. I popped all 5 of my previous P rated tires atleast once, haven't lost one LT Grabber.

digitaldelay

Explorer
You will absolutely notice 27lbs. - 39lbs., never mind 57lbs.

What type of terrain do you typically see? Have you ever flatted a Wrangler ST? P-rated AT's have their place on lighter vehicles, IMO.

Jason

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

kayadog

Adventurer
"What type of terrain do you typically see? Have you ever flatted a Wrangler ST? P-rated AT's have their place on lighter vehicles, IMO."

I ran both p235/75r16XL Hankook ATM's and P245/70r16 on my Liberty and had no issues. No rock crawling-- mostly driving on the beach and muddy unimproved roads getting to surfing and fishing spots. I don't plan on running the Wrangler ST's for long enough to find out anything about them on the JK. I had them on other Jeeps and they are dangerous on wet roads and in ice and snow.

digitaldelay

Explorer
Agreed on the Wrangler ST, blech!

Another thing to consider is whether you have the optional 3.73 gears. You probably don't want to go too big with whatever is stock (3.42, I think?)

Jason

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Big sale on the same BFG MTs that come on the rubicon.
While not perfect, they are pretty good.

The best news is that they'll fit on your rims and need no lift or mods.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92619_004_07.htm

I like this route.

You can definitely find some 17" Rubi take off wheels on Craigslist to match.

It's a great tire off road with good on road manners & looks good. In a pinch you'd be able to find an additional spare too.

kayadog

Adventurer
That's a good deal but I like the old school look of the stock 16" wheels. I also need something better on icy and snowy roads. I'm leaning towards the Cooper ATP p265/75r16 since they are $375 delivered from DTD right now.

kayadog

Adventurer
I like the KO2's a lot but they are a lot more expensive. I also think E range is overkill for me. Right now most Coopers are $205 off for a set of four so that is what I'm leaning towards. 4 p265/75r16 ATP's delivered are $375 which is hard to beat. The Hankook ATM's are cheap too at $401 delivered.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
fair enough! KO2s seem to have solid initial reports.
I've seen the Cooper AT3s do some amazing stuff in mud & on rocks fwiw

delivered by winged monkeys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles