Help with some basic recovery kit

JamesReddish

I'm looking to purchase some recovery gear, realistic worst case scenario would be getting stuck on a field in mud/wet grass or snow. Most liable vehicle around here to get pulled out by would be a landrover or similar.

Currently I have a kinetic strap/rope that can go around the tow bar or through the factory front recovery eye, it has hooks on both ends as can be seen below (if I'm using the wrong terms)

20221105_141930.jpg

I would like to purchase what would be required to help a kind passer by pull me out.

I'm thinking a couple of soft shackles, some D rings and a strap, what's the consensus on this? Any recommendations?

Researching recovery seems to take me down the route of being very stuck, needing winches etc. (BTW I do carry a military folding shovel and a form of home made recovery boards)

Following on from above, a quick search to show the type of products I'm looking for. Please chime in with any advice!

A strap to replace my current one, although unused I am of the opinion a 'normal' strap is better than kinetic for recovery in my scenario.

Screenshot_20221105-150433_eBay.jpg

A D ring, I'm pretty sure a soft shackle won't fit through the front recovery Eye, (or not the ones with a protective sheath anyway, should I consider more basic ones given my use?) if it does I won't bother with a D ring.

Screenshot_20221105-150347_eBay.jpg

Then 2x soft shackles, for either around the tow bar 'bar' (I'm of the understanding you should not use the 'ball' or the pin of a ball and pin hitch for recovery!?) or front recovery Eye if it fits. And of course on the recovering vehicle.
Screenshot_20221105-162529_eBay.jpg

4000lbsOfGoat

A strap to replace my current one, although unused I am of the opinion a 'normal' strap is better than kinetic for recovery in my scenario.
If you're specifically expecting to be pulled out by another vehicle then a kinetic strap is the better option, although I would not recommend using it in the configuration shown in your picture. It shouldn't be wrapped. If you have a receiver on the back of the vehicle then you need something like this: https://factor55.com/product/hitchlink/ and a steel shackle.

billiebob

Keep it simple.... and spending lots of $$$ won't be a guarantee so keep it inexpensive....

The best senario is good judgement, backup BEFORE you are stuck.
I often drive in 2WD and once stuck use 4WD to back up.

My go to once stuck is a $20 farmer chain..... that has been in every vehicle for over 40 years. As opposed to the keep it dry, keep it out of the sun, don't let it slide over rocks synthetics, steel is indestructible, just throw it in a bag or bucket and 40 years later it will work. If you want a long life, ready to work in 40 years... forget synthetics, buy the steel that as won wars.

That said, this is my rescue stuff, plus a Warn Winch and 4WD with selectable lockers....
ps if you have selectable lockers you might NEVER need the winch....

The 20K pound snatch block is history..... keep everything sized for what you drive.The other small snatch blocks are only used to redirect the winch line. An 8K pound winch on a 4K pound winch is overkill but that is what I have because the M8000 is pretty much industry standard today. In the 1970s I installed 5K pound Tulsa PTO winches on forestry and oilfield 1 ton pickups.... they worked fine. The 12K pound winches today on half tons are just a waste of load capacity.... ps often the extra capacity is a result of lower gearing and a slower winch. Buy the winch rated to pull what you drive and forget the marketing spin from the sales guy.... and the internet.
DSCN1249.JPG

oh and tire chains,.... again, more steel. Mud or snow or ice, chains always work.
IMG_0577.JPG

The items I ALWAYS use..... SELECTABLE LOCKERS are often all I need.
Tire chains are way more valuable than an air compressor. Mud, snow, sand they just work
And the chain is completely carefree, even on a dark stormy night.

The rest, including the winch, are just bling I could do without.

\

Last edited:

JamesReddish

If you're specifically expecting to be pulled out by another vehicle then a kinetic strap is the better option, although I would not recommend using it in the configuration shown in your picture. It shouldn't be wrapped. If you have a receiver on the back of the vehicle then you need something like this: https://factor55.com/product/hitchlink/ and a steel shackle.

Thanks for that, in which case I'll keep my strap and look into better mounting points. Unfortunately in the UK we don't have such receivers.

The most valuable recovery gear is a decent compressor, a tyre gauge and a tyre deflator.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Hi Peter, I do carry a tyre inflator with me, although I will now look to add a gauge and deflator too. Thanks

Keep it simple.... and spending lots of $$$ won't be a guarantee so keep it inexpensive....

The best senario is good judgement, backup BEFORE you are stuck.
I often drive in 2WD and once stuck use 4WD to back up.

The items I ALWAYS use..... SELECTABLE LOCKERS are often all I need.
Tire chains are way more valuable than an air compressor. Mud, snow, sand they just work
And the chain is completely carefree, even on a dark stormy night.

The rest, including the winch, are just bling I could do without.

\

Simple is definitely what I'm after, good judgement is something I keep trying to learn haha.

Tyre chains would be a fantastic option! I'll look into those.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
What would be helpful would be the GVW (gross vehicle weight) and make/model of your vehicle plus some photos of the bumpers and recovery points.

Cheers!

JamesReddish

What would be helpful would be the GVW (gross vehicle weight) and make/model of your vehicle plus some photos of the bumpers and recovery points.

Cheers!

Consider it done!

Currently sits at 2000kg (4400lbs) give or take.

Maximum GVW 2700kg (5900lbs)

Mercedes Vito

The front just a standard screw in eye.

The rear towbar structure

s-l400.png
20221105_142927.jpg20220521_193238.jpg

Reactions: WVI

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
In that vehicle with those connection points. I would just get two soft shackles and a recovery rope/strap.
Hook the soft shackle around the round tube of the rear hitch assembly, not that ball
In front, just use the tow eye gingerly and try to limit off-line pulling.

JamesReddish

In that vehicle with those connection points. I would just get two soft shackles and a recovery rope/strap.
Hook the soft shackle around the round tube of the rear hitch assembly, not that ball
In front, just use the tow eye gingerly and try to limit off-line pulling.

Excellent thanks for that!

Screenshot_20221111_203224.jpg

I will be getting this style of hitch. Would the general consensus still be to not use the 'pin' in this style of hitch for recovery?

4000lbsOfGoat

I will be getting this style of hitch. Would the general consensus still be to not use the 'pin' in this style of hitch for recovery?
If the pin is rated for *at least* the full weight of the loaded rig then it should be fine. I'd be more comfortable with that than with a strap that's just loose on a round bar - where is that strap going to end up once load is applied to it?

JamesReddish

If the pin is rated for *at least* the full weight of the loaded rig then it should be fine. I'd be more comfortable with that than with a strap that's just loose on a round bar - where is that strap going to end up once load is applied to it?

Just what I was hoping the hear, the pin is rated at 1800lbs more than the van. Cheers ?

trae

Adventurer
Just what I was hoping the hear, the pin is rated at 1800lbs more than the van. Cheers ?

Gotta remember that when you're stuck the load increases. For example the common guideline for winches is to get 1.5x the weight of your vehicle. So for my Xterra that clock in at around 5500lb, I should be getting 8.5klb winch. I'd imagine the same is true for recovery gear. It needs to be sized appropriately.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Gotta remember that when you're stuck the load increases. For example the common guideline for winches is to get 1.5x the weight of your vehicle. So for my Xterra that clock in at around 5500lb, I should be getting 8.5klb winch. I'd imagine the same is true for recovery gear. It needs to be sized appropriately.

The truth of it is that very little of the stuff we are attaching recovery gear to is 'rated' for stuff like this. On the flip side, actual recovery forces are typically much lower than we think they actually are. I'd love to stick some kind of load cell in a bunch of recoveries to see what those numbers actually are.....

trae

Adventurer
The truth of it is that very little of the stuff we are attaching recovery gear to is 'rated' for stuff like this. On the flip side, actual recovery forces are typically much lower than we think they actually are. I'd love to stick some kind of load cell in a bunch of recoveries to see what those numbers actually are.....

I haven't done many recoveries so I don't really have an intuition for how robust these recovery points are. Looking at the hitch above, the pin certainly looks stout enough -- provided I'm picturing it correctly.

Next question -- there are two bolt holes, what is that going to attach to, and with what kinda bolts?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I haven't done many recoveries so I don't really have an intuition for how robust these recovery points are. Looking at the hitch above, the pin certainly looks stout enough -- provided I'm picturing it correctly.

Next question -- there are two bolt holes, what is that going to attach to, and with what kinda bolts?

Exactly my point. The pin in the hitch is stout enough......the bolts might be decent size.....the bracket the bolts attach to the tube with welds....

That is why I suggested hooking the soft shackle directly to the tube, it involves the least amount of connections to question and the load it still spread out side to side. You could have the shackle slide to one side if pulling off line......but I would weigh that against the added leverage of pulling on the hitch.

There is usually no perfect answer unless building specialty parts. I don't suspect you will be jumping in the deep end of thing with a 2wd van. You will get more comfortable with recovery after you do a few more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier