Help with mounting a RTT (Pickup Truck Bed)

ZMagic97

Explorer
Hello all,

I recently brought home a 2022 Silverado 1500 and installed a Retrax Pro XR for the bed cover. I chose the Retrax as it works with t-slot accessories. I have been looking around at roof tents and realized I need to figure out how to mount a tent first. I would like to keep it low profile and low cost overall. The tent is not going to be mounting except for trips and when in use.

What I am curious about is weight capacities of the rails I can attach to my truck. I know there are differences in static weight and dynamic weight, but most (really, all) manufactures list the dynamic weight. I am specifically eyeing the Rhino Rack Vortex bars and RTL600 mounts. From what I can find, they're rated for 100kg/220lbs max, but it does not mention that as static weight and therefore I assume that is for dynamic weight.

Overall, I am curious if my assumptions are correct that the Rhino Rack would work a tent and about 300-350lbs of occupant weight.

Thank you in advance.

Ryan_Crist

Hello,

I also have a new body style silverado. I went through a similar comparison/faq session before ultimately settling on a Leitner Designs bed rack. As for your particular question, the rhino rack vortex bars (as a pair) are rated for 220lbs on-road dynamic and 146lbs off-road dynamic. I guess my question would be how heavy is your tent, as the off-road rating may be your limiting factor rather than your static capacity. The easiest solution to this problem is to just use three rails rather than two, since the bed is more than large enough. This would greatly increase the load ratings across all three categories.

I personally looked at the retrax pro xr paired with the front runner outfitters pickup roll top load bar kit (KRRT004). It is also sold as a pair, but you can call their customer service and order it as a three bar kit. I hope this helps!

- Ryan

ZMagic97

Explorer
Hello,

I also have a new body style silverado. I went through a similar comparison/faq session before ultimately settling on a Leitner Designs bed rack. As for your particular question, the rhino rack vortex bars (as a pair) are rated for 220lbs on-road dynamic and 146lbs off-road dynamic. I guess my question would be how heavy is your tent, as the off-road rating may be your limiting factor rather than your static capacity. The easiest solution to this problem is to just use three rails rather than two, since the bed is more than large enough. This would greatly increase the load ratings across all three categories.

I personally looked at the retrax pro xr paired with the front runner outfitters pickup roll top load bar kit (KRRT004). It is also sold as a pair, but you can call their customer service and order it as a three bar kit. I hope this helps!

- Ryan

Ryan, thank you for that info. It is extremely helpful.

The tent I'm currently looking at weights 108lbs. I'm trying to stay to something on the lighter side so I can possibly load it myself, or so that my wife and I can both easily load it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles