Help with leaking window

Trail Talk

ADBBF462-86C1-47F9-B759-29EE4B46F68E.jpegJust returned yesterday to our OEV Summit camper from a seven-day hike across the top of Vancouver Island to find one of the Dometic windows has been leaking steadily from the lower right corner during a week of frequent rain☹️ The interior frame screws were only finger tight so I snugged them up but worry about exceeding mfg specs and/or warping the frame and making it worse. Anyone have a similar situation or advice for a fix short of disassembling the widow? We had a leak from the small window by the sink this spring and OEV fixed it I believe by re-caulking but I don’t have the time or tools. More rain in the forecast…

CYi5

Explorer
Short of pulling the window and resealing the exterior rubber gasket with silicone caulking, you could use packing tape on the exterior top and sides if you can get the area dry enough. Certainly not a permanent fix, but may shed enough water until you can do it properly.

You are correct, if you over tighten the screws, the inner molded portion of the window will fracture...hard to come back from that point!

Trail Talk

Argh, travelling the “wet coast” this time of year has its challenges. We are at Elk Falls CG in Campbell River BC and an emergency siren went off last night for about 10 minutes then quit. Researching this am, it apparently is BC Hydro flood warning system installed a couple of years ago in case of a dam breach upstream, but no notice on their website about this event. Will remain a mystery I guess.

Alloy

Could possibly be condensation if a window or roof vent wasn't left open and the window drains are blocked...or the camper/window was not level.

I don't use silicone because nothing sticks to it....like trying to re-seal something if it is leaking.

Alloy

It might not have been a dam breach.

"These fluctuations may present possible hazards to the public, especially in the canyon below the spillway. However several precautions are taken by B.C. Hydro to reduce this hazard
including inspecting the spillway and sounding a siren before discharging water. Warning signs are also posted.
"

is from:

Enjoy your travels! :)

Last year 4-5 people were fishing below a dam in B. C. when the spill gates were opened and 1 died. There was a siren installed after an icedent a few years ago but being close to a residential neighborhood people complained so they'd stopped using it.

1000arms

Last year 4-5 people were fishing below a dam in B. C. when the spill gates were opened and 1 died. There was a siren installed after an incident a few years ago but being close to a residential neighborhood people complained so they'd stopped using it.
Ouch.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I think any fix without completely disassembling the assembly would be a band aid.

If i were in your shoes, i would wait until a dry sunny day, take it all apart, make sure its all dried out, no moisture trapped anywhere, in and around the entire area, and bolt it all back together. I dont think any adhesive adding is necessary, and im betting a taco the leak is from the screw backing out

I have noticed on my Tern Overland windows (very similar to yours) some of the screws do tend to loosen up a little, which is likely causing your problem.

I have added the screw checking to my checklist before leaving.

Trail Talk

It might not have been a dam breach.

"These fluctuations may present possible hazards to the public, especially in the canyon below the spillway. However several precautions are taken by B.C. Hydro to reduce this hazard
including inspecting the spillway and sounding a siren before discharging water. Warning signs are also posted.
"

is from:

Enjoy your travels! :)

Yes indeed, a local confirmed that was the discharge warning for people on or near the river to retreat. Curiously there were no notices of this practice in the campground on the river. I recall when tsunami evacuation routes were introduced years ago that signage was everywhere.

Trail Talk

Now that we’ve left the north end of the island it has become warmer and dryer so this issue will go on the snags list for OEV when we return home. The rain also managed to fill the “waterproof“ housing of an exterior LED light which now flickers maddeningly. Its rugged and beautiful up there but unusually wet this year…21E479FB-9691-48C8-BBE9-8EECCBD6A099.jpegE95BD0CC-22FA-4F6E-95DE-1ADB143F4409.jpeg04BE4ECC-412E-4FC6-A1E2-B739D55D4358.jpeg

Jonnyo

Observer
i m heading that way in a week for a week trip with the kids! what is fun to do out there? how far north have you gone?

Trail Talk

i m heading that way in a week for a week trip with the kids! what is fun to do out there? how far north have you gone?

Depends on your idea of fun (insert evil laugh) but we went as far north as possible while hiking the North Coast Trail. Not for kids though, so take the logging roads out of Port Hardy over to Cape Scott trailhead and its a short easy hike into San Josef Bay for the day or camp overnight on the beach…weather depending :ROFLMAO:. There are some interesting spots along the way, like Holberg, Ronning’s Garden and the Pinetree Station, so drop by the visitors centre first for some info. There are whale watching charters out of Port Hardy also. Hope you have fun!

1000arms

Yes indeed, a local confirmed that was the discharge warning for people on or near the river to retreat. Curiously there were no notices of this practice in the campground on the river. I recall when tsunami evacuation routes were introduced years ago that signage was everywhere.
Thank you for posting, it is a good reminder to look for warning signs, and to keep in mind that there might not be warning signs for a particular hazard.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Depends on your idea of fun (insert evil laugh) but we went as far north as possible while hiking the North Coast Trail. Not for kids though, so take the logging roads out of Port Hardy over to Cape Scott trailhead and its a short easy hike into San Josef Bay for the day or camp overnight on the beach…weather depending :ROFLMAO:. There are some interesting spots along the way, like Holberg, Ronning’s Garden and the Pinetree Station, so drop by the visitors centre first for some info. There are whale watching charters out of Port Hardy also. Hope you have fun!

Certainly a cool area to poke around. We took the detour to Winter Harbour. Almost hit a couple bears on that route. The village itself is not worth a visit.... There is certainly tons see fauna wise and wildlife wise. A cool place to visit is Malcom Island.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz