Help, Talk me out of it.

knoxswift

I test drove both and ended up keeping my 2nd Gen Tacoma.
I would be more concerned about reliability than re-sale unless you don't intend to keep the truck long.
My 2c. The only reason to go ZR2 would be for the diesel.

phsycle

Adventurer
Can't compare authoritatively since I don't have much seat time in any of them built since 2008. But I'll weigh in anyway with the comment that the 4Runner got disc rear brakes in 2003, the revised VVT-i 1GR and got it's manual t-case back, so it's more like the older trucks, slow progression of mechanical stuff. That was the sort of thing I was thinking, real Toyota truck stuff. The improvements to Tacoma seem off target to their traditional customer. But they sell the heck out of them so I guess their target customer is changed and Go Pro mounts and infotainment center consoles mean more to the youths or whatever...

Yeah, but the 4Runner did lose the manual transmission then as well. Give and take. It is precarious they kept the stick in the Tacoma, but reverted to the manual t-case lever in the 4Runner. Doesn't make sense to me.

It's no question who they market to. Almost every Tacoma I see has Rockstar rims and flat brim hats sticking out the drivers window. Hate the image. Only if I could bring over a 4-door Hilux, and swap in a 5VZ or 3RZ.

chasespeed

Explorer
You know, iats funny, I'm 5'8, and my wife is touch higher.. I'm actually pretty comfortable, and she says she is good. She prefers the Charger though(the hemi, sticky tires, and brakes)....

Anyway, while I'm not in love with the transmission... went down to the city to do some stuff... and pretty much tried driving it like I stole it.... keep the pot boiling, and this becomes a much more enjoyable machine.

Chase

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Old.Ski.Bum53

I’ve had s s-10 Blazer, an Avalanche, and a Camaro. I loved them when new, but the love affair didn’t last long. None of my chevys were close to 100k when traded in. My Toyota s have been a different story, one bad experience with a head gasket on a 97 Land Cruiser. But the others, Celica, 4-Runner, and my current 07 FJ have been trouble free! I like the new Chevys but I’m done owning them!

94toy22re

Observer
I like the ZR2 but after hearing about the airbags deploying on forest roads and GM not covering it, I would get a Tacoma!

pelfreybilt

Can't compare authoritatively since I don't have much seat time in any of them built since 2008. But I'll weigh in anyway with the comment that the 4Runner got disc rear brakes in 2003, the revised VVT-i 1GR and got it's manual t-case back, so it's more like the older trucks, slow progression of mechanical stuff. That was the sort of thing I was thinking, real Toyota truck stuff. The improvements to Tacoma seem off target to their traditional customer. But they sell the heck out of them so I guess their target customer is changed and Go Pro mounts and infotainment center consoles mean more to the youths or whatever.

They don't have to be power, but ability to raise and lower the seats would be nice. They are a touch too high for me and a bit low for my wife. Obviously Toyota set them for the average of 5'10" since I'm, +2" and she's -2" from that.
Why I put Scion TC seats in the Taco.... haha

Clutch

<---Pass
The improvements to Tacoma seem off target to their traditional customer. But they sell the heck out of them so I guess their target customer is changed and Go Pro mounts and infotainment center consoles mean more to the youths or whatever.

Well...old curmudgeon die hard Toyota Truck guys flat out refuse to buy a new one...so they had to appeal to a different demographic....or they would go bankrupt.... :p

Only if I could bring over a 4-door Hilux, and swap in a 5VZ or 3RZ.

Yeah, my wife kept on sending me pictures of HiLuxes when she was in Thailand. Apparently they were telling her, that Thailand is only second to the US in pickup purchases. The biggest difference though between there and here, is that they actually use them as trucks over there...

...though many were kinda make shift people movers.

37962567_10216145222679601_2031689388374622208_n.jpg

37970983_10216145223879631_483371927482662912_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bkg

onemanarmy

Explorer
Can't compare authoritatively since I don't have much seat time in any of them built since 2008. But I'll weigh in anyway with the comment that the 4Runner got disc rear brakes in 2003, the revised VVT-i 1GR and got it's manual t-case back, so it's more like the older trucks, slow progression of mechanical stuff. That was the sort of thing I was thinking, real Toyota truck stuff. The improvements to Tacoma seem off target to their traditional customer. But they sell the heck out of them so I guess their target customer is changed and Go Pro mounts and infotainment center consoles mean more to the youths or whatever...

Yeah, but the 4Runner did lose the manual transmission then as well. Give and take. It is precarious they kept the stick in the Tacoma, but reverted to the manual t-case lever in the 4Runner. Doesn't make sense to me.

It's no question who they market to. Almost every Tacoma I see has Rockstar rims and flat brim hats sticking out the drivers window. Hate the image. Only if I could bring over a 4-door Hilux, and swap in a 5VZ or 3RZ.
Oh please give me a SR5 manual transmission 4 runner. For close to or under $30k. Please.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier