Help, Talk me out of it.

a45automan

2018 Tacoma DC 4X4, M416
Hello,
I am in the process of looking for a new truck. Tacoma TRD Off Road which I am getting a nice 10.5% discount on. Then I looked at the ZR2, way more than the Tacoma list price but, they are giving huge discounts, $1000 less than the Taco with mostly the same features or better in the case of the shocks. I have driven both and both are nice. I am concerned about the resale value of the ZR2.
Any wisdom would be helpful. Making the deal on one of them this weekend.

sdtaco

Hello,
I am in the process of looking for a new truck. Tacoma TRD Off Road which I am getting a nice 10.5% discount on. Then I looked at the ZR2, way more than the Tacoma list price but, they are giving huge discounts, $1000 less than the Taco with mostly the same features or better in the case of the shocks. I have driven both and both are nice. I am concerned about the resale value of the ZR2.
Any wisdom would be helpful. Making the deal on one of them this weekend.
Interesting. I don't have any wisdom to throw down but I'm curious to see

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I typically look at reliability over resale so have been buying mostly Toyota products for the past 2decades. But the Colorado ZR2 is very tempting. I’ve tried to read or watch every comparison between the two (ZR2 vs TRD). At this point I think the Chevy is a much better deal. And I think I’d go with the gas instead of the diesel.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
GM has the lowest resale value, in my AO. But why buy a truck at all, if your just going to sell it? I have to keep mine for 10 years before it's a good deal.

Tough one, as I Hate much of GM practices. But I'd get the Zr2, even though it's wheelwells are too small.

phsycle

Adventurer
I think GM builds good fullsize trucks. They sell a ton, so that's where their R&D money goes to. I just don't trust their midsize.

Tacoma outsells the Tundra by quite a bit. I'd assume that's where most of the funds are allocated (for trucks).

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I dunno @phsycle, I get the feeling Toyota phones it in on the Tacoma, do just enough to keep it a cash cow. It's neither a progressive marketing leader nor the simple, reliable Toyota of a decade ago.

@Buliwyf said what I was thinking, why worry about resale. But if it's a strict numbers game the Tacoma has produced more consistent used prices.

If I had the scratch for a new truck it would be a hard choice between them. Since Toyota I think stopped selling stick shift trucks I'd personally wait to see what's up with the Ranger.

chasespeed

Explorer
Went with a '18, DCSB OR, tech package etc...

Yes, you can get it in a 6spd manual.

No such pricing when I was buying, on the ZR2, in fact, they're having no trouble moving them.

I got more for my money with mine, the same price for the Chevy was a gasket Z71(which, doesn't have the features that I wanted).

I'm not in love with the shift strategy of this trans, and the dealer found a manual for me to test drive... but, my wife cant drive stick.....so, it's in the air. I'm happy with the truck overall. Of course, Coming out of a 20 year old Jeep... the bar is pretty low..

Drive both. A nice long drive....pick the one that you like.

They're both pretty new. The taco has a 3.5 by, that's pretty rev happy, and a 6spd auto that shifts to soon(becoming the norm now)...
The Chevy has a little more hp(10 or 15 more).

Its you're money... drive what you like.

The Taco was the better choice for ME.

Chase

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The driver's seating position alone would make me buy the GM.

I have purchased 2 Tacoma's and both times with both trucks the sitting on the floor seating position of the Tacoma front bucket seats was so uncomfortable that I sold both Tacoma's after a short time. The seating position of the Colorado is more chair like off the floor and far more comfortable for short and long trips.

Reliable or not if you are going to drive a vehicle for a long time it better be comfortable and the Tacoma seating position is not comfortable!

Colorado wins!

NitroExpress

Observer
If you have a 2016+ Tacoma and like everything but the transmission shift pattern you should get this:
https://www.dz-custom-innovations.com/products/shiftsense-pro

- Very easy install.
- Priced fair.
- Transforms the driving experience.
- Does not change the ECM/TCM at all.
- I have NO affiliation with the product other than being a consumer.

I really enjoyed my '17 Taco with the exception of the shift pattern. This device changes the shift pattern to what it SHOULD have been from the factory.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I had the choice at work between a used '16 DCLB Taco, and a '18 DC Canyon.

It was a no brainer for me. What some people complain about with the seating in the Taco, works well for my height. I had trouble with visibility in the GM. Mind you with a work vehicle, I really don't care at the end of the day. It was just nice to get into a new Taco without paying for it.

All I have to do is look at the previous offerings from GM/Chev. Abysmal resale value, drivetrain and powertrain failures, cheap ************ interiors... I don't imagine the new ones will fare much better over time.

I digress though... I'm a brand whore. I'm one of the idiots that drinks the Toyota Koolaid. It's a disease.

phsycle

Adventurer
I dunno @phsycle, I get the feeling Toyota phones it in on the Tacoma, do just enough to keep it a cash cow. It's neither a progressive marketing leader nor the simple, reliable Toyota of a decade ago...

Guess I was just looking at the relative advancements compared to the Tundra and 4Runner. Tacoma has been the only model with a complete makeover. Your point is taken about the lack of progression compared to the rest of the market. But I still do appreciate what they've done with it. 3.5L engine, scorned by many, I actually started to really like after about 3-4k miles. MPG jumped a good amount around that point. Highway mileage I'm seeing is 23MPG at 70-75MPH. If I slow it down to 65, I am over 24. Granted that's only 2-3MPG better than what I saw on older Toyota trucks, still, I'll take it. Toyota "Progression" = slow and steady. Just like their trucks. :D

The driver's seating position alone would make me buy the GM.

I have purchased 2 Tacoma's and both times with both trucks the sitting on the floor seating position of the Tacoma front bucket seats was so uncomfortable that I sold both Tacoma's after a short time. The seating position of the Colorado is more chair like off the floor and far more comfortable for short and long trips.

Reliable or not if you are going to drive a vehicle for a long time it better be comfortable and the Tacoma seating position is not comfortable!

Colorado wins!

The seats themselves are horrible (at first). But the seating position, I feel is too HIGH. I wish I could lower the whole thing by an inch or more. I hate power seats, but this is a scenario where I'd love to have the vertical adjustments.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Guess I was just looking at the relative advancements compared to the Tundra and 4Runner. Tacoma has been the only model with a complete makeover. Your point is taken about the lack of progression compared to the rest of the market.
Can't compare authoritatively since I don't have much seat time in any of them built since 2008. But I'll weigh in anyway with the comment that the 4Runner got disc rear brakes in 2003, the revised VVT-i 1GR and got it's manual t-case back, so it's more like the older trucks, slow progression of mechanical stuff. That was the sort of thing I was thinking, real Toyota truck stuff. The improvements to Tacoma seem off target to their traditional customer. But they sell the heck out of them so I guess their target customer is changed and Go Pro mounts and infotainment center consoles mean more to the youths or whatever.
The seats themselves are horrible (at first). But the seating position, I feel is too HIGH. I wish I could lower the whole thing by an inch or more. I hate power seats, but this is a scenario where I'd love to have the vertical adjustments.
They don't have to be power, but ability to raise and lower the seats would be nice. They are a touch too high for me and a bit low for my wife. Obviously Toyota set them for the average of 5'10" since I'm, +2" and she's -2" from that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles