HELP! Power wagon or Cummins?

Sempertoy

Explorer
Folks...

I have been straying over here from my usual home in Toyota world. I have owned Toyota 4x4's since High School, and thought I would NEVER stray from my beloved land cruiser line....

However- the new power wagon (14+) initially caught my eye. Lockers, sway bar disconnect, winch! oh my!

Then I spent more and more time here, and saw all the great diesel builds.. What am I supposed to do?!

Plans 37's or bigger w/ AEV lift and bumper

some sort of camper (GFC, AT)

family hauler (soon to have 3 kids under 5)

Bike hauler- I founded and run a non profit that takes veterans out mountain biking and need a good way to transport all bikes and gear

Planning a road trip to AK for my 40th (have 8.5 years to prepare and get it right) with said kids and dog. Maybe wife too? lol

I am somewhat skilled at turning wrenches. I will probably do all my own stuff. I spent 4 years working on TD engines (Cummins, john deere) in the Corps, but have never owned a diesel

Like the rumble of the Hemi, can stomach the mileage as that's what I currently get in my 2UZ

If diesel, 2500 or 3500?! I have read conflicting info

anyway, as you can see I have lots of questions. I would appreciate everyone weighing in.

Other vehicles on the radar 200 series LC, older 2002-2005 G500

polishammer

Both are great. PW comes from the factory with all the offroad goodies, lockers, winch, ect. 6.4l gas is a nice engine, of course, not a diesel, but enough. The back of the crew cab is big enough for 3 kids across in car-seats, so you are good to go. When it comes to diesel, you can get one in megacab configuration which has even larger cab. Those will not have any of the off road items, so if needed, you will have to add them. Diesel will be much stronger engine, but again, if you are an occasional tower then you really do not need all that power. As to 2500 vs 3500 you are talking single vs dully, big difference. If you are not towing, which from what you say you don't, then you don't need 3500. Choices, choices.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If the other vehicle you're interested in is an LC!?!, then you have zero need for the diesel. I'd rather avoid the headaches.

Screw fuel economy. Fuel is water cheap. Get the Powerwagon. Also consider building up a new Ford 6.2L.

If you go diesel, go 3500. Gas, go 2500. The diesel engine eats nearly half of the cargo capacity of an F250. They're heavy pigs.

mtnjp

Observer
If you plan on a slide in camper consider the 3500. It has leaf's not coils and a much larger payload. I got a 3500 Cummins with the G56 and love it. The power wagon is awesome but limited on payload.

Ravenmad

Observer
I am of course biased. Build your own diesel power wagon aka Prospector XL. I agree though, in all reality a diesel only gains you around 2-3 mpg on average better than a gas (6.4), however, it gives you far greater versatility should you ever decide to carry / tow a lot of weight. The gas is fine, I had one (the motor lost a wrist pin around 2k and that is not normal) but I much prefer the diesel. If you don't want to hassle with building a truck, buy a power wagon, if you can do the work yourself for the most part....... I say get a diesel and build it into exactly what you want. Just an opinion though, one of many.

Attachments

• 20180718_185619.jpg
    20180718_185619.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110

RedRunner87

I would go with a Power Wagon. It has almost all the stuff you need off-road straight from the factory, then all you need to focus on is the accessories. If I could get a Power Wagon I would give up my Mega Cab in a heart beat. The 6.4L, 4.56's, Dual Lockers and electronic sway bar disconnects straight from the factory is a great start.

Remember Diesels now come with a ton of emissions junk on them now, plus maintenance is more intensive with a diesel.

Dalko43

Explorer
As to 2500 vs 3500 you are talking single vs dully, big difference. If you are not towing, which from what you say you don't, then you don't need 3500. Choices, choices.

The 3500 can be had in SRW configuration as well. The main difference between 2500 and 3500 is GVWR, rear suspension setup and engine ratings.

Speaking for the Ram HD's specifically, the 2500 has coil springs in the rear, lower GVWR and offers either the 68RFE auto or the G56 manual with a derated version of the 6.7L Cummins. Whereas the 3500 has rear leaf springs, higher GVWR and offers an optional Aisin transmission (68RFE is still the default transmission) with the high-output variant of the 6.7L Cummins.

OP, I'd recommend test driving both. Someone else already said it, but I'll reiterate: if you want an overland rig that is ready-to-go off the factory floor, the Power Wagon is an obvious choice. Fuel economy won't be great, but you can always throw some jerry cans in the bed. If you want to build a diesel version of the Power Wagon, it's certainly possible (more than a few people on here have done just that) but it will cost more money and time up front. The new emissions are something to be aware of, but most of the newer trucks do just fine with basic maintenance (there are plenty of high-mileage diesels with emissions intact). If you want the easiest ownership experience possible get the 6.4L Hemi, otherwise if you're at all mechanically-inclined i wouldn't shy away from a diesel simply because of the emissions.

You did mention the possibility of a camper. If I were hauling around a camper, the 3500 with a 6.7L diesel would be my preference. With that said, the 6.4L Hemi will be able to get the job done (more than a few around here have proven that as well).

Either way, you're going to have a very capable vehicle.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Based off of what you said you plan to do I would go with a PW. If you had mentioned regular towing north of 7K and or a camper of any sort I would say the CTD no question about it. The fact is that the Power Wagon is extremely hard to beat out of the box for this type of travel and off-road needs.

I am currently testing out an AT Habitat as we speak and those things are perfect for these trucks.

Explorerinil

Observer
If you plan on towing and hauling allot then get the cummins. If you want better fuel economy get the cummins. Remember with the cummins powered truck you will also get a much heavier truck (which will be an issue off-road) with higher maintence costs, but even the modern ones are very reliable. I have had 7 cummins powered trucks, never had a single problem.

For what you are doing I would get a 3500 power wagon.

Dalko43

Explorer
With regard to suspension you mention the AEV lift. Do your homework. There are a lot of better options for the money...check out Thuren and Carli.

Well if he wants to run 37's or larger with minimal lift, AEV's kit does seem like the obvious choice.

I understand that it is fundamentally different from the route that Carli and Thuren have gone, but still there is a whole lot of thought and development that went into that setup versus your average, cheap spacer kit.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I wouldn't justify the purchase of the diesel for the use of a AT Habitat or GFC style topper/camper/canopy, those units only weigh 350lbs. Now if you are talking about regularly towing a trailer camper, something larger than tear drop or adventure trailer i.e. more than + 4000lbs then I would certainly consider the diesel more heavily.

Your biggest drawback with the Power Wagon isn't so much the motor as it is the reduced payload and tow ratings due to the softer rear suspension when compared to your standard 2500. The Power Wagon has a payload rating of 1510lbs and a tow rating of 10,300lbs compared to the "up to" 3,497lbs payload and 17,980lbs tow rating of the standard 2500. Those numbers on the standard 2500 vary depending on cab/bed configuration and motor/transmission combo, but they all exceed that of the Power Wagon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles