Help please: Which construction material/method will work best for my trailer goals?

Ryodan

Almost finished with this one..... albeit only a big tongue box..... but any composite with a medium in center will make for a great sammich board.
I would use 3/4 or 1 inch polyurethane foam board. You can pillage them at any hardware store. Either pink or blue.
Polystyrene us too susceptible to chemicals....IMHO.... carbon fiber is pricey, but glass and a good epoxy will be fine.
View attachment 504700
that thing is amazing looking, took minutes to get over how good it looked just to look at what you built lol

Been doing a little reading on aluminum and a little less reading on the sandwich board approach. There seems to ver a dizzying array of options with the boards. To the point it's hard to understand what works with what. Haven't had much time the last few days but by the weekend I should be back on my research.

For that box what materials did you use? did you make your own sandwich board or use premade panels?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
that thing is amazing looking, took minutes to get over how good it looked just to look at what you built lol

Been doing a little reading on aluminum and a little less reading on the sandwich board approach. There seems to ver a dizzying array of options with the boards. To the point it's hard to understand what works with what. Haven't had much time the last few days but by the weekend I should be back on my research.

For that box what materials did you use? did you make your own sandwich board or use premade panels?

Thank you for those kind words. I have been devoting my FB page to help people with composite projects of construction. There is quite a lot of information in case yo wish to go that route. To answer your question though, I always build to suit. When making panels I usually use the polyurethane foam as core, but could not find it in 1/4 inch thickness so I used cardboard. There are a few drawbacks from using that. Moisture contamination is perhaps the biggest, but can in large be avoided. The build can be seen here.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/High-De...9/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2048197175219558

ottsville

Observer
Thank you for those kind words. I have been devoting my FB page to help people with composite projects of construction. There is quite a lot of information in case yo wish to go that route. To answer your question though, I always build to suit. When making panels I usually use the polyurethane foam as core, but could not find it in 1/4 inch thickness so I used cardboard. There are a few drawbacks from using that. Moisture contamination is perhaps the biggest, but can in large be avoided. The build can be seen here.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/High-De...9/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2048197175219558
Corrugated plastic panels should be easy to find to use instead of cardboard. I think our local hd carries them or check a sign shop...or just take down some of the larger election signs you see around.

opp

Observer
Where I get the trailtop railing bread and butter is fixing & replacing carbon fiber it cracks under vibration Don't waste your money on epoxy. Pol. will flex more so less ****## cracks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles