Help needed finding a trailer

VanDominator13

Observer
Hi,
I’ve been doing some research on my own and I’m at dead end. My feeling is that I need to go to Expo west and put my eyes on some trailers but I’m hoping there are some people here who might be able to help in my search. My needs are specific but not outrageous.
Some current background on my planned setup. I currently have an order in for a new 2022 f250 with a 6.75’ bed. I plan on putting the truck on 37” tires. I also have a deposit on an Ovrlnd pop-top cabover shell.
The idea is to build out the bed of the truck as minimally as possible to keep it functional as my work truck, and get a trailer to use as a base camp for when the family and I go on our off-road adventures.
We’ve been camping out of an Oztent RV5 for the last couple of years and we love it. We want to keep it and integrate it into our new setup as my daughter is getting older and we could use the extra space while out on the road. I’m looking for a trailer that has a fridge slide and galley and can haul all of our camping gear and toys (SUP boards, mountian bikes and RV5). I’d like to be able to mount an awning to said trailer as well. And finally I would like for it to be able to accommodate 37” tires.
I was looking at a Taxa Woolly bear as well as a Borderlands trailer that have been up for sale in the classifieds, but neither of them look like they can accommodate a large size tire without significant modifications.
My budget is around 10k with some wiggle room to change hubs or something similar to get the trailer to work for us.
Any suggestions??

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Cool looking military trailer built up with a nice rtt on FB market place right now. I think its in CA. I just skimmed it looked like a pretty cool rig.

VanDominator13

Observer
Cool looking military trailer built up with a nice rtt on FB market place right now. I think its in CA. I just skimmed it looked like a pretty cool rig.

Thanks for the heads up, I’m not really active on FB these days. I should have mentioned that I’m not looking for a RTT. We’re super happy with the RV5, we like being able to stand up inside and have the extra room. Not a deal breaker by any means though. I can always sell the RTT.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Thanks for the heads up, I’m not really active on FB these days. I should have mentioned that I’m not looking for a RTT. We’re super happy with the RV5, we like being able to stand up inside and have the extra room. Not a deal breaker by any means though. I can always sell the RTT.

I am thinking the10k budget will push you into a used rig. Nut House industry have some cool RTT trailers. Maybe contact them and see if they have any used rigs. Maybe a DIY build.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Check this one out

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I am thinking the10k budget will push you into a used rig. Nut House industry have some cool RTT trailers. Maybe contact them and see if they have any used rigs. Maybe a DIY build.
Yeah was starting to shop upgrade trailer pre pandemic 10k would get you a decent Aliner or cool built up custom jobber. Now? Christ I see 18yr old junker RVs dragged out a weed lot listed for 9k?‍♂️. Its just stupid right now.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Found it
Meets the 10k objective
Other option that popped up was a 1963 canned ham rotten pile of trash for 10k ?‍♂️

VanDominator13

Observer
Check this one out

I'm totally open to purchasing used. Like I said I have some wiggle room if I can find something turn key I'm willing to pony up more $$. That Campa trailer looks interesting. going to reach out to the OP.
Thanks!

Yeah was starting to shop upgrade trailer pre pandemic 10k would get you a decent Aliner or cool built up custom jobber. Now? Christ I see 18yr old junker RVs dragged out a weed lot listed for 9k?‍♂️. Its just stupid right now.

Just like anything else these days I guess. I'm not holding steady at 10k, but I don't need a 20k Turtleback either....

Found it
Meets the 10k objective
Other option that popped up was a 1963 canned ham rotten pile of trash for 10k ?‍♂️

Nice, find. Thanks!

alia176

Explorer
I'm also in the "stand up inside like a humanoid" category and that requirement will help zero in on the kind of trailer the OP is seeking. There are few kinds of "pop top" trailers that seem interesting because of the lower profile during towing is an important consideration for mpg/power/wear/tear on the tow rig. Another thing is the ability to haul water crafts up top while hauling bikes on the rear. I think few builders satisfy this category but I agree, attending the upcoming expo will be the best way to touch/feel the various offerings.

VanDominator13

Observer
I'm also in the "stand up inside like a humanoid" category and that requirement will help zero in on the kind of trailer the OP is seeking. There are few kinds of "pop top" trailers that seem interesting because of the lower profile during towing is an important consideration for mpg/power/wear/tear on the tow rig. Another thing is the ability to haul water crafts up top while hauling bikes on the rear. I think few builders satisfy this category but I agree, attending the upcoming expo will be the best way to touch/feel the various offerings.

I'm crossing my fingers that my work schedule lines up and I can attend Expo. We aren't looking for a trailer to sleep in. it's more of an Off-Road cargo hauler with a built in galley and water storage. We love sleeping in our Oztent, along with being able to stand up, the extra interior room, and being about to walk outside when nature calls without waking everyone else up in the tent makes it a good fit for us.

alia176

Explorer
I'm crossing my fingers that my work schedule lines up and I can attend Expo. We aren't looking for a trailer to sleep in. it's more of an Off-Road cargo hauler with a built in galley and water storage. We love sleeping in our Oztent, along with being able to stand up, the extra interior room, and being about to walk outside when nature calls without waking everyone else up in the tent makes it a good fit for us.

Hopefully you'll make it to the Expo!
Cheers.

GBGCR4x4

I have seen those. The price point is where I want to be and they seem to be well built. I’d have to put some more time and money into one to have a galley and water storage though. I’d rather just spend a little more money to have it already done.
Makes sense!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Makes sense!
I have seen those. The price point is where I want to be and they seem to be well built. I’d have to put some more time and money into one to have a galley and water storage though. I’d rather just spend a little more money to have it already done.
I have found the kids factor can definitely change how you look at these trailers with lots of moving parts and setup items. Ie time involved setting up/tearing down?. Most definitely the biggest reason dads dump complex setup/tear down rigs after a few trips. So keep that high on your usability list when looking at trailers?
Some of the trailers I really liked a few yrs ago I realize today I would hate with a passion simply having so many doors, sliders, moving parts, awnings, flap prods, shower dohicky things to fold out. I would likely spend half my trip just unlocking, opening closing, sliding, flipping, securing etc??

Only reason I tolerate the pictured rig is its high flexibility for hauling our toys. Boats are a weekly Jrs sailing trip 30min to/from the house. Otherwise the camp rig is near max tolerance for my high tolerance level of setup/tear down efforts ?

Attachments

• 0D2F5115-6792-4705-8530-865DBBCCEB8C.jpeg
    0D2F5115-6792-4705-8530-865DBBCCEB8C.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 2490761A-61CD-4376-86D4-E7AA30E1F241.jpeg
    2490761A-61CD-4376-86D4-E7AA30E1F241.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 29

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles