Help Needed:Baofeng UV-5R Not Picking Up Repeater After Chirp Programmig

The videos gonna take a long while to upload. Please let me know if any other screenshots or pictures will help. Thank you again for the help guys!

Ok 4x4Junkie, I went back and reread your post while double checking my program list. So does everything look like its supposed to to you? Here is a link to my local area repeaters info I got online, as a reference

http://k4rc.net/repeaters/

It says there doesnt need to be a tone added all the time, but Im still not sure how I need to have this set up to transmit from my radio. I also do not know how to fix the settings being incorrect in Chirp or my radio or which one is really the problem. Lastly, I did a factory reset on my radio, uploaded the list again and got the exact same result as far as my settings showing the offset as 00.000 instead of 00.600. Im also confused as to why my display shows both + and - in channel mode and only shows - in frequency mode. Is that because freq mode has the offset at an actual negative value of -00.600 and channel mode is saved as -00.000, which basically is just 00.000? Thanks.

4x4junkie

Explorer
The settings such as "TSQL", "Tone", and "Off", they are in the pull-down menus when you click within the columns for "Tone Mode", "Duplex", etc.

Yeah you need to get -0.600 set on channel mode to be able to access the repeater from your channel 1.

I had to look up what the "S" is on your display... that "S" means the Dual-Watch function is active, which means it scans back & forth between the two displayed channels/VFOs, which could be why you weren't receiving your repeater if there was activity on the other channel (I think menu item #7 turns this on/off).

4x4junkie

Explorer
Ok 4x4Junkie, I went back and reread your post while double checking my program list. So does everything look like its supposed to to you? Here is a link to my local area repeaters info I got online, as a reference

http://k4rc.net/repeaters/

It says there doesnt need to be a tone added all the time, but Im still not sure how I need to have this set up to transmit from my radio. I also do not know how to fix the settings being incorrect in Chirp or my radio or which one is really the problem. Lastly, I did a factory reset on my radio, uploaded the list again and got the exact same result as far as my settings showing the offset as 00.000 instead of 00.600. Im also confused as to why my display shows both + and - in channel mode and only shows - in frequency mode. Is that because freq mode has the offset at an actual negative value of -00.600 and channel mode is saved as -00.000, which basically is just 00.000? Thanks.

There must be something amiss with that list then (that or maybe there's a bug in that version of Chirp? Were you using a different version previously?)

Or maybe try resetting the radio again, then download the radio's default setting again, modify it, then reupload that.

As for the tone, what that page is saying is a TX (input) tone is normally not required, but will be selectively implemented to keep interference from keying up the repeater spontaneously when required. So it's best to have the TX tone already programmed into your radio just in case it goes into effect.
The repeater output will always has a tone (same tone as used on the input), and if you choose to set a RX tone on your own radio, you will be able to receive the repeater while blocking out any other local interference or other distant repeaters you might hear.

Mine also displays the "+ -" after uploading to it from Chirp. I have no idea why it does that (mine's the GT-3TP, or same as the BF-F8HP but with a better receiver). The offsets I've programed are correct though.

Edit:
I just looked at one of the (properly working) repeater channels on mine, it too shows a 000.000 offset.
Have you tried to key up the repeater at all? I really doubt anyone would notice a 0.5-second long transmission just to see if you can get back the repeater's courtesy tone or squelch tail (and if someone is so steamed-up by a mysterious 0.5 second transmission, you probably would not want to associate with that person anyway). If your radio is showing the "+-", you may still be good to go.

Last edited:
I was definitely using an older version of chirp for the programmed list in my radios before I uploaded them into the newest version of Chirp with wi dows 10. Ive been doing all this programming on a week old laptop with wi dows 10. Before that, it had been at least several months and on windows 7 or 8 since I had uploaded anything on my radios.

As far as the dual watch mode and possibly not hearing the repeater because the other channel was receiving; thats a negative. Of course once in a while the B band would get some activity but 95% of the time there would be nothing at all when I was trying to pick up the local repeater in the A band.

So the way I have my program list setting in Chirp is correct for the 146.760 repeater saved in channel 1? I keep thinking that maybe something is backwards or in the wrong column and thats why the Chirp file says -.600 but it changes to -00.000 once its uploaded i to my radio. Maybe there is a big or problem with this version of Chirp itself. I searched and searched and couldnt find any way to contact the guy that runs DanPlanet to try and work it out. I couldnt even register with the forum there or whatver it is. They have a long list of bug fixes but this version(made Oct 10th) is so new that maybe DanPlanet hasnt found any bugs yet.

So I DID accidentally press the PTT button instead of the monitor button and I noticed it did read "CT" on the left side of the display. Then I heard a "biddleep" and at the same time the green led light went offf and my display screen changed color. So does that mean its working and Im able to transmit to the repeater? To be clear, this was in channel mode on channel 1 and not frequency mode.

Ive said this a few times now but Im wondering if things look all messed up on my radio but its working as it should because my radios are programmed with lists that were made on an older version of Chirp and windows 7 or 8 and were saved, edited and re-uploaded back onto the radios on a new computer with the newest version of Chirp and windows 10. Your thoughts? Thank you for the help everyone!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Have you been playing with the squelch? That will cause you to not RX things you think you should RX.

Have you checked the squelch settings being sent with your list? These can not be modified on the unit itself, and may have gotten corrupt if you did not properly download the setting from the HT, make changes to that default profile, then upload.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I was definitely using an older version of chirp for the programmed list in my radios before I uploaded them into the newest version of Chirp with wi dows 10. Ive been doing all this programming on a week old laptop with wi dows 10. Before that, it had been at least several months and on windows 7 or 8 since I had uploaded anything on my radios.

As far as the dual watch mode and possibly not hearing the repeater because the other channel was receiving; thats a negative. Of course once in a while the B band would get some activity but 95% of the time there would be nothing at all when I was trying to pick up the local repeater in the A band.

So the way I have my program list setting in Chirp is correct for the 146.760 repeater saved in channel 1? I keep thinking that maybe something is backwards or in the wrong column and thats why the Chirp file says -.600 but it changes to -00.000 once its uploaded i to my radio. Maybe there is a big or problem with this version of Chirp itself. I searched and searched and couldnt find any way to contact the guy that runs DanPlanet to try and work it out. I couldnt even register with the forum there or whatver it is. They have a long list of bug fixes but this version(made Oct 10th) is so new that maybe DanPlanet hasnt found any bugs yet.

So I DID accidentally press the PTT button instead of the monitor button and I noticed it did read "CT" on the left side of the display. Then I heard a "biddleep" and at the same time the green led light went offf and my display screen changed color. So does that mean its working and Im able to transmit to the repeater? To be clear, this was in channel mode on channel 1 and not frequency mode.

Ive said this a few times now but Im wondering if things look all messed up on my radio but its working as it should because my radios are programmed with lists that were made on an older version of Chirp and windows 7 or 8 and were saved, edited and re-uploaded back onto the radios on a new computer with the newest version of Chirp and windows 10. Your thoughts? Thank you for the help everyone!

It sounds like it may infact be working (yes, what you have entered for ch 1 looks correct). I'd leave it alone for now and when you get your lic., then see if you can get thru to someone on it. Assuming you've already used the radio successfully on MURS or elsewhere, it should be working.

I have been successful at transmitting between my radios using the murs channels. I didnt think to mention it because they are completely different channels then the repeater. Also because Ive been able to get other channels like the local ems dispatch. The squelch is set to 2. Always has been. Never had a problem with it before. Looks like Ill have to wait until my license shows up. Even if it all does work fine it is stillgoing to bother my greatly if the settings in the radio arent correct, like the offset. To me its just as bad as the radio not receiving or transmitting at all lol.

Thank you. Ive been looking eery day and Im either doing it wrong or it hasnt shown up in the database yet. So back on the subject of this thread. It looks like I am now picking up the repeater. What I just dont understand is how the offset is wrong in my radios menu. I just dont get it. Its supposed to be -.600 and it shows as -00.000 but somehow it works. So until I figure out why, I have to assume its a bug with Chirp. Ill keep everyone posted. Still not 100% sure I can transmit on the repeater obviously, but Ill know for sure once my license shows up in the database.

4x4junkie

Explorer
As I already said earlier, mine shows the 000.000 offset too.

When you spend $20-40 for a dual band HT that is trying to be like ones that historically sold for $250 & up, you can't really expect everything to be absolutely perfect on it (the finicky programming cables that need certain drivers being another example of this). QC will never be quite as good at such a price point as it is with the bigger well-established brands. However if you can work around these little quirks, indeed they can be an awesome value.

portabill

To supplement 4x4Junkie, I found the UV-5R menu reference

http://www.miklor.com/COM/kc9hi/5RMenus.pdf

Paraphrasing: Offset is only needed in VFO mode. If you have programmed channels with Chirp and are in Channel Mode, it doesn't matter what is in Menu Option 26 - Offset. I have used it when programming the radio with the buttons.

Try this: Using Chirp, extract the image from the radio and see what the offsets show in the file. If there are still a lot of blanks, export it to a .CSV and open it up in a spreadsheet. Doing this will tell you what is in the radio.

I attached a sample spreadsheet that I use. You have to save it to .CSV before importing it to CHIRP

Here are some helpful links I found

http://www.kg4cyx.net/baofeng-programming/
http://www.geekprepper.org/keypad-programming-the-baofeng-uv-5r/
http://codegreenprep.com/2013/04/tips-on-how-to-best-configure-and-use-your-baofeng-uv-5r/
http://forums.radioreference.com/bu...how-program-repeaters-into-baofeng-uv-5r.html
http://www.hamuniverse.com/w7dtguv5rprogramming.html
http://www.miklor.com/COM/kc9hi/5RMenus.pdf
https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/20...iness-weather-marine-ham-channel-frequencies/
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=664274&page=2

Attachments

• CHIRP Sample.xlsx
    13.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi everyone! UPDATES! So last week my Callsign showed up in the FCC database and I have been HAMMIN' IT UP LIKE CRAZY! First off, heres the conclusion to the problem topic of this thread:

-Short answer, I fixed it. All 3 of my Baofeng UV-5R radios had the exact same firmware so I dodged a bullet there. The problem I believe was that I did not do a factory reset on each radio before downloading the Chirp frequency list(or csv image file) to them. Once I did this, everything worked great.

-I am still having a small issue. In my radios settings the offset freq. is still showing 00.000 instead of the correct value of 00.600. Everything still works perfectly fine(Coming in 5x9 to everyone I encounter!) but its still kind of annoying.

Oh and I decided to treat myself to the $25 Baofeng Nagoya magnetic mount mobile antenna which has been working great. I reached my local repeater with it from over 30 miles away in a busy part of the city with just jy little 5 watt UV-5R handheld. So Im all smiles there. Ive connected with many great people already and in the last couple days not only did one of them send me a couple general license exam books to study with but I also found an elder! Hes been a great help and he offered to take me under His wing to bring me along and show me the ropes. Hes also very well versed with tech and in particular, Baofengs and Chirp. So were a good match!

Anywayd I just wanted to give this thread some closure and say thank you for all of your help. KM4YIV clear hahaha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94