Help needed-Atwood jack covers

mightymike

Adventurer
The motor covers on the Atwood jacks on our 2015 Lance truck camper have gotten brittle and are starting to fail, even though the camper is kept covered when we are not using it. Atwood no longer exists as a company and their product lines are now owned by Lippert Components. Lippert ceased production of these motor covers in 2019. I have not been able to find any in stock at RV suppliers, or at RV salvage companies. The Atwood part number is 87663 and the Lippert part number is 671467. If anyone has any ideas on sources for this part, please let me know. I have considered having new ones 3D printed, but the scanning and printing costs would be a bit excessive it seems. I might have to fashion some type of weatherproof vinyl cover. Pic is for reference. 1619010329509.png1619010329509.png1619010329509.png

Why not make it a DIY project? Make a wooden plug that fits inside the old one. Use the wood plug as a mold and heat a plastic sheet to form a new cover over the wooden plug. Should be a able to use a hot air gun to heat the sheet. I would not recommend ABS as it is not UV stable and Acrylic maybe too brittle.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I like that idea but might go one further and suggest that the plug be made by pouring plaster into the existing unit.

mightymike

Adventurer
I appreciate those comments. Two of the covers are in good enough shape now to make a mold, etc. I've never done that before. For those that have done this, what type/thickness of plastic sheeting to use?

simple

Adventurer
It would be fairly straight forward to make a mold because the parts are already molded and have draft. You can buy 2 part silicone mold resin to form the surfaces of the mold inside of a wood box. Use a 2 part casting urethane resin to make the part.

Another option depending how big they are is a 3-d scan and 3-d print.

mightymike

Adventurer
yes-I also thought about the scan and 3D print, especIally since it is a simple part, no moving pieces. The scanning seems to be the most costly part of the process, I need to find someone that scans and 3D prints as a hobby and pay them to make a set for me.

I have the same jacks on my Lance and need to have a look at them. 3D printing is certainly an option and you wouldn't really need to scan one, just create a new object in a 3D modeling program from basic dimensions. No reason they have to have as complicated a shape as the originals. One could easily make some out of aluminum, stainless steel or steel sheet metal if you didn't want to go the 3D printing route. A square box section with radiused corners in the dimensions of the base and tall enough to accommodate the motor then weld a cap on it. Would only require welding one side seam and the cap. Got any buddies that are welders? We tend to like projects like this! :)

By the way, Attwood must have cheaped out on the later models...mine are 2008 and it sits in the sun most of the time...they seem fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94