Help me to NOT fail

texploration

Adventurer
Hello,
We have a 3 day overland trip scheduled at the end of the month and I'm trying to make sure I'm prepared. I need help from the Pros reviewing my list of items to take.

Here's where I'm at so far.

Recovery/tools:
9500 pound winch
Hi Lift jack
Shackles
Straps
Air compressor
Tire plug kit
CB
Full socket set
Shovel
Knife/saw
Jumper Battery
Misc wrenches, screw drivers, zip ties, etc

Camping basics:
Air mattress (sleeping in Jeep)
Sleeping bags/pillows
TP
Water
Food
Cooler
Stove/pans/plates, etc

So what am I missing?? Bringing too much?

Thank you in advance for any/all suggestions!! :26_7_2:

Rig basics:
'14 Rubicon
3" lift
37x17x13.5 Toyo E rated MTs
Fully armored
First aid kit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Two up, beats Seven Up.

LOL
Except the kids.... no kids!! :)

My Brother is a very doting father of five, and a huge car buff. He said something years ago when they were all young, that totally cracked me up.
The more kids you have, the more a two seater makes sense.
Lots of awesome info on this thread, and it looks like you guys are set for a smokin' good time. :victory:

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
My Brother is a very doting father of five, and a huge car buff. He said something years ago when they were all young, that totally cracked me up.
The more kids you have, the more a two seater makes sense.
Lots of awesome info on this thread, and it looks like you guys are set for a smokin' good time. :victory:

EXACTLY! :sombrero:

6 kids here, we need some alone time!!!!

Bob Keyes

Flyswatter, I think not!

What you want is a Bug A Salt gun it shoots table salt like a shotgun with a 4' range. It turns a difficult task into a safari!:wings:

unkamonkey

Explorer
What you want is a Bug A Salt gun it shoots table salt like a shotgun with a 4' range. It turns a difficult task into a safari!:wings:
That could a fun toy but what if the fly is parked on your knee or a friends face? Fly smacking sort of became a science for my neighbor and myself. When we were roomates, he would sit on the toilet with the binocs and watch the spider that was under the kitchen table. I think the only use we had for that table was to set extra cases of beer on. Later, after he was married, we would sit on his front porch and ********** flies just enough to stun them and then put them down on the deck so the wolf spider could deal with them. Earlier this summer we were on the front porch and he smacked a fly. perhaps a bit too mutch follow through. His wife almost couldn't quit laughing as he was bent over. I admit that I got a good chuckle out of it as well.

Back to it, I mostly keep everything in my camper at all times if it will not freeze or go bad. The last trip my tire changeing tools became fire pokers. I still do the same things and try to figure out what I am forgetting before I leave on a trip.

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
Jeep is packed and we depart early in the morning. Did a fully loaded run and went by the scales, 5880 pounds minus the wife. With GCWR of 8,355 lbs we're in good shape.

Final list is as follows:
5 gallon Jerry can
9500 pound winch
Hi Lift jack
Shackles
Straps
Air compressor
Tire plug kit (w/extra plugs)
CB
Full socket set
Shovel
Knife/saw
Jumper Battery
Misc wrenches, screw drivers, zip ties, etc
Air mattress (sleeping in Jeep)
Sleeping bags/pillows
TP
Water
Food
Cooler
Stove/pans/plates, etc
Duct tape
Sledge
Long gun, pistols, extra ammo
Ratchet straps
Gear oil
Fire extinguisher
Lighter
Lantern (LED)
Flashlights
Batteries
iPad w/ movies
Tarp
Chairs
Folding table
Coffee pot/coffee (wife's)
Folding toilet stool
Trasharoo
Camera
Go Pro

There was more I would like to have purchased, but the budget didn't allow this time. We'll be in a group of 10 Jeeps so I think it'll be alright.

Top rear shelf has case (strapped down) w/ tools/air compressor/etc, water, toilet, air mattress & Jerry can (strapped down, tested to make sure no odor/leaks).
Bottom rear has water bottles, battery pack, tarp, case with stove, case with bedding, fire extinguisher, lantern & chairs.
Back seat (folded down) has folding table, cooler, case with dry food/clothing.
Rifle is mounted on the rear roll bar with an improvised mount (grab handle & straps)

Did some maintenance: Oil change, grease ball joints, rotate tires, air filter & rear diff fluid.

So, after a bit of sleep we'll be off. I'll post pics here as I can.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Should be an epic trip!
Looking forward to reading how it goes.
I've been packing up and prep'ing for a weekend trip up into the Sierra Nevadas. Leaving as soon as work ends tomorrow. So I can feel your enthusiasm.
Happy trails amigo! :beer:

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
Should be an epic trip!
Looking forward to reading how it goes.
I've been packing up and prep'ing for a weekend trip up into the Sierra Nevadas. Leaving as soon as work ends tomorrow. So I can feel your enthusiasm.
Happy trails amigo! :beer:

Good luck to ya! I'm a little jealous you get a whole week :)

More TP....and baby wipes!

Exactly! I think 3 packs of wipes and 4 rolls TP should get us by. If not then we'll break into the paper towel stash LOL

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Good luck to ya! I'm a little jealous you get a whole week :)

Exactly! I think 3 packs of wipes and 4 rolls TP should get us by. If not then we'll break into the paper towel stash LOL

After taking baby wipes on several trips I am convinced they are priceless, cleaning your netherregions is just one of the dozens of things you can use them for, just make sure you buy the unscented ones.

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
Everything went great, didn't need anything EXCEPT I forgot to pack the eating utensils (fork, knife, spatula, etc) We ran across a country store and got some plasticware so all ended well.
A big THANK YOU to everyone that helped me prepare!!

Just a few pics from the adventure.

This house is Civil war era:

Link to all the pics if you're really bored... :) LINK

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Oh man, I hate to be the guy to point this out, but I KNEW I had seen spatula somewhere in this thread... Oh there it is, in the first response! :sombrero:

Trip looks like a blast! Great pics as well.

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
Glad everything went well. Just add those few things you forgot onto your packing list. But, just as important, go through the list and scratch off anything you didn't use so you don't bother taking it next time (don't scratch off recovery/first aid gear though, even if you didn't use it...hahaha).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz