Help me spend my modey- Dodge 2500 choices

wyorover

i have 06 power wagon and just bought a 17 power wagon but its my work truck so i started with a tradesmen 6.4 gas with the power wagon pkg
with what you looking at spending you not that far from new a tradesman with 6.4/4x4 can be bought for just under 30k if you shop around my power wagon was 51k after discounts a rebates 41k and its a new 2017.
started with a tradesman really brought the price down and its still loaded with options and the crome pkg so it doesntlook like a work truck.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
We have a winner!

After test driving gas ( didn't love it) I went with option 1... The seller came down in price ( cash in hand) and I now own a beautiful low mile 2005 3rd Gen 4x4 :)

I know where are the pics.. will add shortly

zigsrig

Adventurer
Since I too am in the "what do I want to get as a Full-Sized expo rig" hunt right now, I came across the thread. While I am leaning towards a Power Wagon, I love seeing the input form others on this forum.

Before I forget, congrats to the OP for getting what you wanted (I assumed first choice was what you were pulling for).

As for the pot stirring gent who originally posted about the cracked frame, its seems like he isn't telling the whole story. Using my internet skills (google is great, isnt it?) the ONLY forum that i could find with any reference to the picture he posted came form here (its actually the same picture that the crazy poster posted)...

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-up-201/cracked-frame-under-40k-miles-326216/

Since this is the only place that I can find it, Im going to assume that its an isolated event. Being that the truck is used on the oil fields, I'm going to also think that it lived a hard life...

I let this thread die back down now :sombrero:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
We have a winner!

After test driving gas ( didn't love it) I went with option 1... The seller came down in price ( cash in hand) and I now own a beautiful low mile 2005 3rd Gen 4x4 :)

I know where are the pics.. will add shortly

Congrats on buying the '05! I used to have one and drove it all over Mexico with a 8'6" pop-up camper in it. I wish it was a Hallmark though! I currently have a '14 3500 Cummins and while I loved my '05, I'm very much in love with the '14 too. The route you went will pay off in the long run though. I'm sure my frame is about to break in half!

PS: You know you couldn't have a Hemi. Your screen name would have mocked you for eternity!

:smileeek:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
it's a friggin' problem with the BRAND. I'll friggin' bash where i want to, and it isn't slander if it's true... now listen up- brand loyalty is for fools. are you a fool 9234? There are all kinds of issues with all the major brands, but this one? it's not an inconvenience, it's a game stopper. it's also being held tightly to the vest by mother mopar- and it stands to great reason it's something they've addressed or they are addressing.

read up on the subject and think for yourself before your starry little ram eyes fill up with tears and you react with such a stupid reply. the man is about to spend some serious coin- and coin he likely earned the old fashioned way, and if not for forums such as this one these things would go wholly unnoticed- especially in the corporate controlled media who totally ignore issues like this.

Ohmygod! It happened again!
image.jpg1_zpsznkpxknr.jpg

Sorry. I just had to!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
not counting repairs the mileage differential will likely mean diesel pays for itself if you keep it more than 100K miles. Less than that and the diesel wont cover the additional cost. If you are only heavy hauling a couple of times a year you might be better off with the Hemi, but you will likely feel it those times you do haul heavy. But if you keep trucks for a long time the diesel option should pay for itself with the increased gas mileage. Just my $0.02.

Only if the diesel doesn't explode into a million little pieces.

Or you take it in for some silly little issue, and a single drop of water in your pump just cost you your warranty.

AND, if your truck is used every weekday and you can't work without it, the downtime hurts. Hurts bad. I have to work out of a POS Chevy Express van if my truck needs a week at the dealer.

Fleets are running from the diesels for a reason. Big trucks are the only ones getting diesels now. Dually f350, f450, f550 etc etc etc. No SRW diesels anymore. SRW trucks still get good enough mileage to not make the diesel risks and extra costs worthwhile. While a F550 with 4.88 gears is going to drink gasoline far too quickly, you have no choice but to go diesel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the snapped frame pic, even if that is a Mexican truck with Mexican steel, it should have failed on one side, not snapped at both sides cleanly like that. It's highly unlikely that two giant spans of frame have the same failure, in exactly the same spot. They've been driving that track outside of it's designed limits for a while I'll bet. Google Raptor threads if you want to see more idiocy about bent frames on abused, even crashed, trucks. If you think you can bring your brand new truck back to the dealer with rocks in the tires, covered in mud, dinged up skid plates, etc. etc. etc. and still have a warranty? Yeah, good luck with that.

Also, the closer you get to the max rating of a truck, the less wheelin' and stupid stuff you can do. Flying down a rough pipeline access road loaded, is seriously bad mojo. I do it every week.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Only if the diesel doesn't explode into a million little pieces.

Or you take it in for some silly little issue, and a single drop of water in your pump just cost you your warranty.

AND, if your truck is used every weekday and you can't work without it, the downtime hurts. Hurts bad. I have to work out of a POS Chevy Express van if my truck needs a week at the dealer.

Fleets are running from the diesels for a reason. Big trucks are the only ones getting diesels now. Dually f350, f450, f550 etc etc etc. No SRW diesels anymore. SRW trucks still get good enough mileage to not make the diesel risks and extra costs worthwhile. While a F550 with 4.88 gears is going to drink gasoline far too quickly, you have no choice but to go diesel.

Yeah,Fedex and UPS are back to V-8's. The exception being these POS stop/start hybrids they have. The drivers said they're always in the shop.
As far as mileage goes,the shop I use did a Carli suspension upgrade on an F-250 4wd 6.2. It had Aluminess bumpers and a contractor type rack with rooftop tent. 315's etc. He averaged 8mpg with the 6.2 engine on a Baja trip. The V8's, V-10's can still suck it up,but they are pretty dependable down there compared to the common rail diesels I guess.
My two friends frequently take their 5.9 Cummins down there and haven't had an issue at all with the engine or fuel quality. It's a chance you have to take.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I try to stay under 34" tires and under 4" lift with the gassers.

My 6.2l F350 work truck is down to about 10,000 pounds. Still gets about 10-11mpg with 33"ish Duratracs.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Ohmygod! It happened again!
image.jpg1_zpsznkpxknr.jpg

Sorry. I just had to!

A local guy's 2000 F-250 had its bedsides cave in with the weight of a Callen 1/2 cabover shell. The shell's mounted on the bedsides and collapsed on a northwestern Baja trip.
The newer trucks share very thin sheetmetal. Stuff happens.

D45

Explorer
The fuel injectors are just a time bomb..........no warning when they still stick open and melt a piston

That really is my only issue with a CR diesel

I like the 6.4L Hemi a lot, but it is thirsty

The 2004.5+ trucks have three injection events and a subpar piston bowl, both of which contribute to higher EGTs and piston melt downs

2003-2004 were MUCH better

USMC Dude

Just looking to get lost
I would go with whichever one makes sense or calls to you. I don't do much towing, but plan on it in the future, so I just bought a 2016 2500 with the Cummins. I would shop around. I bought mine for $20k off sticker since it has been on the lot for a while. That made the diesel cheaper than the Hemi somehow. For what you want, they will all do the job perfect.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I did not even think of my screen name- Your right this thread was over on post one hahahah

Congrats on buying the '05! I used to have one and drove it all over Mexico with a 8'6" pop-up camper in it. I wish it was a Hallmark though! I currently have a '14 3500 Cummins and while I loved my '05, I'm very much in love with the '14 too. The route you went will pay off in the long run though. I'm sure my frame is about to break in half!

PS: You know you couldn't have a Hemi. Your screen name would have mocked you for eternity!

:smileeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94