Help me spec out a new 2017 Tacoma

BlackdogGS

Observer
I'm 68 and looking to buy my last truck. I've had 4X4's all my life and have even hand built some very capable rigs. The line up goes like this: SR, SR5 TRD Sport, TRD Off Road, Limited, TRD Pro. I'm kinda thinking either the TRD Sport, Off Road or possibly the Limited. As far as options I we want: Entune nav/audio, upgraded trim with alloy wheels, tow package, double cab. Things I don't need: moon roof. I'm not sure about the Technoligy package. It's a $3,000 option and includes dual climate zone, heated seats, rear parking assist, blind spot monitor, auto headlights, and moon roof.

The truck will be used for some camping trips, general utility work and for going to and from our vacation home that's about 3 hours away. No rock crawling or anything radical. We also have a new Highlander which is the first foreign car we've ever had (ya, I know it's made in the the states). We live in The Dalles Oregon, the winters are generally mild except for last winter when we had snow on the ground for 3 months.

I need to get the purchase right and don't want to have regrets down the road. Thanks

JMadigan

THe locker in the offroad takes a long time to lock, and can only be used in 4lo. At this time no one has figured out how to bypass the traction controll so it can be engaged in any drive.

If I were to do it again, I would either go with TRD Sport V6 and manual tranny, or what PirateMcGee suggested (depending on your power needs).

BlackdogGS

Observer
I keep hearing of bad transmissions, sluggish performance, differential problems. Maybe I should wait until the 2018's arrive?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
IMO, I was drawn to Toyota after the TRD PRO was announced....I loathed Toyota until I saw that truck.....THEN....I saw the price premium for the package. I thought to myself, I can build that for much cheaper. I test drove the TRD 4 door short bed. LOVED IT. and it's much cheaper than the PRO. Add on some suspension bits, and a few other doo dads and I have a rig that will go everywhere I want to, and still be thousands in for gas and food. I vote for Normal TRD and add the goodies yourself. I am spending on the suspension tho, the OME 51s got me hooked!

Clutch

<---Pass
I keep hearing of bad transmissions, sluggish performance, differential problems. Maybe I should wait until the 2018's arrive?

Guessing you're reading on Tacoma World....I find that too many people over there are coming from the sport sedan market to the truck market is the issue, not the truck itself. They sure are all a demanding lot, most are young and have been coddled by their mothers for too long... ;)

The new Tacoma is fine, feel that the 4 banger has more than enough power too, kinda funny to hear people complain about the V6. Toyota trucks were never meant to be hot rods, they are meant to be reliable.

p nut

butter
For your usage, I would think a Tundra (or another full-size truck) would be a better fit. If you want to stick with mid-size, might be wise to see what 2018 brings. Ford is bringing back the Ranger, too, which should make things interesting.

sn_85

Observer
Last truck? Get a full size in the higher end trims with all the creature comforts. If you end up with a Tacoma, I'd get the Limited.

dman93

Adventurer
I have a TRD OR double cab short bed with all options. I'm 60, mostly retired, and use my truck as a daily driver plus it's our only usable 4 passenger vehicle, so use it with friends and visiting family. I bought it used and wouldn't have picked a few options, specifically the JBL audio which takes up a lot of internal storage space behind the seats. I like the Tech package; I love the heated seats and mirrors, and appreciate the sunroof, blind spot monitors, and backup sensors, though I certainly don't need them (and never had them before). The nav system is pretty lame, but I do use it. After over a year and over 30K miles, I have never used the locker or crawl control except to play with them, and I do often wish that I had a longer bed and shorter cab ... the DCLB does seem too long. A big part of me also wishes I had gotten the manual transmission. My wife drives a small car with a stick shift, but she's considering a new car, and if she gets a roomier car with AT (car choices are limited with MT nowadays), I could trade in my truck for an SR AccessCab with MT and come out ahead financially. I'm "old school" enough to want at least one MT car in our family. But, really, the auto trans on the Taco is just fine ... 6 gears will shift more than 4, and sure it's tuned for economy, but the fact is this truck has lots of horsepower and pseudo-manual shift capabilities that work just fine if you don't like the AT programming. I've hauled over 1000 lbs of pavers and driven across the country both ways with a decent load plus rooftop tent and never felt a lack of power. Lifetime MPG is around 21.0.

Clutch

<---Pass
For your usage, I would think a Tundra (or another full-size truck) would be a better fit. If you want to stick with mid-size, might be wise to see what 2018 brings. Ford is bringing back the Ranger, too, which should make things interesting.

Last truck? Get a full size in the higher end trims with all the creature comforts. If you end up with a Tacoma, I'd get the Limited.

Shoot, supposed to downsize when you retire, just enough room for you and your dog. ;) he should looking at the Access Cab and not the Double Cab. :D

p nut

butter
Shoot, supposed to downsize when you retire, just enough room for you and your dog. ;) he should looking at the Access Cab and not the Double Cab. :D

Oh, yeah, for sure. No need for a crewmax for a retirement truck. Personally, if I were buying my "last truck" today, it would be an F150 V6, extended cab (or maybe even single) with an 8' bed, XLT (which has just enough amenities to keep the wife happy). Although, if I were to get a slide in camper, I'd go F250/350. I long for that 8' bed some day, with the 2k+ lb payload.

Dalko43

Explorer

I hadn't heard of any transmission or differential problems with the new Tacoma. Do you have specifics? The "sluggish" performance is to be expected: 1) it's a truck; 2) the new 3.5l v6 is a passenger car-derived engine that prioritizes mpg over outright performance. If you want a truck that has a lot of grunt, you'll have to look at full-size trucks like the Tundra and Silverado 1500. The Tacoma is a lifestyle truck; it can tow and haul gear, but that's not its primary purpose.

As for waiting a year or two, that's never a bad idea with any new generation of vehicle. New models generally have more issues than the follow-on years, even for Toyota's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles