Help me spec out a new 2017 Tacoma

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I hadn't heard of any transmission or differential problems with the new Tacoma. Do you have specifics? The "sluggish" performance is to be expected: 1) it's a truck; 2) the new 3.5l v6 is a passenger car-derived engine that prioritizes mpg over outright performance. If you want a truck that has a lot of grunt, you'll have to look at full-size trucks like the Tundra and Silverado 1500. The Tacoma is a lifestyle truck; it can tow and haul gear, but that's not its primary purpose.

As for waiting a year or two, that's never a bad idea with any new generation of vehicle. New models generally have more issues than the follow-on years, even for Toyota's.

Oooh get on TacomaWorld...it's terrible what those kids are saying about the poor 3rd gen.

Clutch

<---Pass
I hadn't heard of any transmission or differential problems with the new Tacoma. Do you have specifics? The "sluggish" performance is to be expected: 1) it's a truck; 2) the new 3.5l v6 is a passenger car-derived engine that prioritizes mpg over outright performance. If you want a truck that has a lot of grunt, you'll have to look at full-size trucks like the Tundra and Silverado 1500. The Tacoma is a lifestyle truck; it can tow and haul gear, but that's not its primary purpose.

Some diffs got a bad gasket, dealer fix.

Tranny and sluggish...think too many former BMW sedan owners are switching to Tacomas. I drove both the I4 and the V6, plenty of pep I thought, shifted so smooth I could barely tell it was shifting....even being an auto I liked that is was shiftable. They are no sports sedan for sure, nor were meant to be.

Any little creak or wind noise...some of the kinder on TacoWorld are soiling their chonies. It is a truck for cripes sake, they're supposed to be a little noisy.

Clutch

<---Pass
Oh, yeah, for sure. No need for a crewmax for a retirement truck. Personally, if I were buying my "last truck" today, it would be an F150 V6, extended cab (or maybe even single) with an 8' bed, XLT (which has just enough amenities to keep the wife happy). Although, if I were to get a slide in camper, I'd go F250/350. I long for that 8' bed some day, with the 2k+ lb payload.

For how long mine has been lasting, I may of bought my last truck...without realizing it. ;) :D

But seriously now....last truck, man I wish Toyota made a 3/4-1 Ton. As I want a FWC...and no way would I put one on a Tacoma, or even Tundra. Maybe a shell model on the RC 8' Bed Tundy...maybe as the payload is right around 2000 lbs.

My buddy did just fly up here and bought an E350 van that he is going convert to a 4WD camper, he'll probably be into for under $20K, including the conversion.....hmmmm....I'll probably think about vans for the next couple weeks, until something else sparks my interest. You know how that goes..."oh look a squirrel!" I am weird dude...lots sparks my interest, yet nothing does...

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
Nice but I keep asking myself if I really need the locking differentials and crawl control at this point in my life. Are you considering the Technology package?

You never "need" it. But I like having the option of locking the diff and driving out or pulling cable. I could care less about the crawl control but the TRD OR package is less expensive than an aftermarket ARB diff and set-up. I would get an auto (I only have 2 feet to wheel with) and I would not get the Tech package. For me, I feel it is the best all around value.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

As for waiting a year or two, that's never a bad idea with any new generation of vehicle. New models generally have more issues than the follow-on years, even for Toyota's.

Although the new Tacoma out ran the previous Tacoma pulling up the gauntlet.

dman93

Adventurer
My 3rd gen 3.5 Tacoma has plenty of power. Low end torque, or an automatic that wants to hold a lower gear to compensate for that lack of low end, not so much. But slap it down a few gears manually and it hauls. I've never towed with it (well, I did yank a Mazda out of a mud hole) but a few weeks ago I hauled over 1000 lbs of concrete up into the mountains, and didn't even notice the weight ... at least as far as power goes. Suspension certainly felt it.

Dalko43

Explorer
Please take those "tests" performed by a journalist no auto background, and some Russian guy, with a grain of salt. There's so much more to towing than pulling a load up big grades.

Lol. Why are you ragging on Andre and TFL? They actually put out okay content, especially considering the usual junk that we get from more generic car media sites.

Their Ike Gauntlet and other tests aren't foolproof (I think they even admit that from time to time) but they do provide relevant benchmarks for truck buyers/owners to use and consider at their discretion. The aspect of their towing tests that people tend to distort the most are the speeds or times. For example, the new Tacoma did tow a similar load up the Ike Gauntlet at a faster time than did the Duramax Colorado. But it did so at much higher RPM's and with greater fuel expenditure than did the Colorado. That's why I said that judging a truck's towing capabilities based purely on time is debatable.

p nut

butter
Lol. Why are you ragging on Andre and TFL? They actually put out okay content, especially considering the usual junk that we get from more generic car media sites.

Their Ike Gauntlet and other tests aren't foolproof (I think they even admit that from time to time) but they do provide relevant benchmarks for truck buyers/owners to use and consider at their discretion. The aspect of their towing tests that people tend to distort the most are the speeds or times. For example, the new Tacoma did tow a similar load up the Ike Gauntlet at a faster time than did the Duramax Colorado. But it did so at much higher RPM's and with greater fuel expenditure than did the Colorado. That's why I said that judging a truck's towing capabilities based purely on time is debatable.

Oh, I watch them. :) Some/most of their stuff is entertaining, certainly. But I don't put much weight on those tests. There are definitely certain metrics that can be gleaned from the tests that you can use for your own comparisons. What I'm saying is that most take the tests at face-value (like the poster above). Lots of other factors to consider when we're talking towing--i.e. the example you gave.

Clutch

<---Pass

CR has always knocked the Tacoma, they want it to ride and handle like a car, and have a lot of gee-gaws. Toyota has always been a conservative with their trucks and doesn't follow what everyone else is doing for the most part, other than the gained girth over the years.

At this point, jury is still out on the newish V6. But the 2.7 4 is an anvil, along with the 5 speed manual. Pretty much guarantee that configuration of truck would out live me.

Being a long time Toyota owner, past 26 years...I am little disappointed that Toyota is trying to appease the mass US populous. The bloat and the gawd awful over compensating styling of the Tacoma and Tundra, don't really care for. Wish they kept on doing their own thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles