Help me pick the new rubber for my 2005 Tundra!!

Which tire would you choose?

• Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Cooper ST Maxx

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
I'll be using part of my tax return this year to have new rubber put on my 05 Tundra. I'll be getting them in 265/75/R16.

I live in northern Alberta, avoid deep mud, spend about 75% of my time on pavement and the rest on rough gravel roads. I don't want a really loud tire, so I'm looking for opinions on which is quieter as well.

Snow performance is a wash, since I plan to buy studded winters next year.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs and the Cooper ST Maxx. Both look good and are comparably priced.

Which would you go with and why?

elistwrt

Observer
KO2s no further comments needed lol

Na they are the best pulling tires I have ran except IROC NDs but that's a mud specific tire. Side walls are crazy strong too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyv12

Adventurer
I used to run duratracs, they chunk up too much on gravel for me, on my second set of st maxx and love them, best mix of a mud/at tire out there I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vicali

Adventurer
Check out the toyo ct- I've heard it's a pretty good all rounder.. I wouldn't know though- I bought K02s last month.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
Thanks for the info so far.

I've had BFG A/T in the past (actually what I'm replacing). I never liked them. When it rains here, the dirt roads get a little sticky. BFG's turn into racing slicks.

Duratracs are the most common in town, but alot of guys here like to mud bog. I have zero interest in that. No one I ask about them much cares about on-road performance so I can't get good answers. LOL

I'll look into the Toyos a bit more though my current winters are Toyo and I hate them. Might be worth a look at their A/T offerings though...

(none)

Adventurer
Voted S/T Maxx. i've been running 255/75 17s for almost 5k miles thus far. Nothing but great things to say about them. I've had on the road, in sand, dirt, mud, rocks, etc. They've done great.

I too drive mostly on pavement and drive fire roads and back roads.... Have worn out a pair of ST Maxx... I did not like the extra noise.... so next set will be Toyo AT2..... don't have any info on them.... just did not like the extra noise of the Maxx

zidaro

Explorer
Would not think either of those would be my first choices if i was not spending much time on dirt. Unless your just going for the looks and you've got no problem wearing out a set of tires to get it.
At the very most, a solid AT will do you plenty, if not even overkill.
The ST is a mud tire. Not only will it wear fast and give more noise, its going to perform less than adequate on icy or wet highway (compared to an AT)
The Duratrac. Great aggressive AT tire, though on a heavy rig they wear fast. Not my first choice, but not a bad one. Again, lots of tire for a rig you say sees mostly pavement. id go with something that will give you better mileage and less noise, longer life.
Both of these are going to be louder than a normal AT, and will throw stones on "rough gravel roads". Not to mention you don't need anything special or aggressive on a gravel road.

just my .02

jgilbreath

Observer
Cooper at3 had great reviews, good prices, and come in load range c or e in your size. Mine are wearing great and have connected well the one time i took the 4runner to an offroad park. Lots of diet road miles this past summer in colorado and felt great.

Loubaru

Adventurer
I bought a 2006 DC on Friday so am in the same boat. The tires on the truck have at least a year left on them and are decent so don't plan on buying tires/lifting it for at least a few months but starting to research things now.

I'm leaning towards 255/80R17 ST Maxx's in E range. Does anyone know if these will fit on the factory DC 4x4 suspension (I'm assuming not but worth checking) without major rubbing? Also, will the spare fit in the factory spot? I think it will but may require building a new rear bumper or modifying the factory one which I'm okay with. Thanks

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Would not think either of those would be my first choices if i was not spending much time on dirt. Unless your just going for the looks and you've got no problem wearing out a set of tires to get it.
At the very most, a solid AT will do you plenty, if not even overkill.
The ST is a mud tire. Not only will it wear fast and give more noise, its going to perform less than adequate on icy or wet highway (compared to an AT)
The Duratrac. Great aggressive AT tire, though on a heavy rig they wear fast. Not my first choice, but not a bad one. Again, lots of tire for a rig you say sees mostly pavement. id go with something that will give you better mileage and less noise, longer life.
Both of these are going to be louder than a normal AT, and will throw stones on "rough gravel roads". Not to mention you don't need anything special or aggressive on a gravel road.

just my .02

Before you take Zidaro's word for it, read this thread on the ST Maxx Jim's experience speaks for itself. I too have run the ST Maxx, and have gotten a lot of mileage out of them and have been happy with their performance. However, I think I will be going with a lighter tire next time I buy.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
That was actually the thread that got me turned onto the ST Maxx. As you mention, the weight is pretty high with those tires though. My Tundra already gets abysmal fuel economy. Did you find much of a loss with the heavy tires?

pirates712

I literally just got my 265/75r16 St Maxx's put on ~2 weeks ago. Impressions- look really good, a little noise but I only notice it if I think to listen for it. Music at a normal volume would cover it up. Only complaint is that they don't seem to balance well. Could be that the shop just didn't do a great job, but I've got some vibrations that come and go at highway speed. Tires are 54 lbs each. I didn't notice a huge drop in fuel economy on the road trip I went on right after getting them installed, but I wasn't driving with a lead foot either.

Oh yeah, my truck is a 2000 Tundra :)

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
d
That was actually the thread that got me turned onto the ST Maxx. As you mention, the weight is pretty high with those tires though. My Tundra already gets abysmal fuel economy. Did you find much of a loss with the heavy tires?
I have noticed a slight loss, but I have never really measured it. The tires have been really good. In the summer of 2015 we spent 31 days on the road traveling to and from Alaska, and the tires were never to stiff or noisy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles