Help Me Pick My New Rig!

14x4

Observer
Need some help from the guys who know it best.

I've been searching for a new rig for while now. This truck will be a 75% daily driver and a 25% camping, trail, light towing and work rig. I will note that regardless of the truck I pick, it will be moderately lifted and fitted with larger tires.

I think I've narrowed it down to two trucks. I want to know what YOU think.

2013 Ford F250 Extended cab, short bed. Gas

I've always favored GM's trucks and, until recently, never even considered a Ford - let alone a F250 - as an option: but I'm impressed. The F250 is the only truck with a solid front axle, manual transfer case and manual locking hubs straight from the factory. That simplicity means a lot to me. Also, the "upfitter switches" is an awesome option! I love the Ram 2500's, but the F250 is built in the USA. Did I mention I love solid front axles... a lot?

:D Anyways, it seems like the F250 is a seriously bullet proof truck. I'd always prefer a crew cab pick up, but because of the F250's size, a crew cab will not leave enough room in my garage. So I am left with only the extended cab as an option. As much as I'm liking the F250, I'm very worried that I'll regret purchasing an extended cab truck. Would that be a deal breaker for you?

2014 GMC Sierra Crew cab, short bed.

I'm drawn to the F250 because of its simplicity, ruggedness and power. But I can't help thinking a Sierra 1500 would be a safer bet. I love the new look for the Sierras and the updated powertrain is enticing. More interior room, better gas mileage and I'd wager, a better ride. The bed would be sufficient for most tasks, but it would not be long enough to camp in. Less towing capability and the independent front suspension will probably require more maintenance down the road because of the lift.

So what do you guys think? I understand that only I can decide what's best for me, but I just want to hear some opinions from people with similar interests!

Thanks!

Kaisen

Explorer
You're not able to fit a Crew Cab 6.5ft box in either the Ford or the GM? You'd have to do the 5.5ft box on the GM Crew?

Clutch

<---Pass
Do you need more bed space or people space?

Not sure on the Ford, but the Chevy 1500 extra cab will the same leg room for the rear passenger seats as your S10. 34.3"

Last edited:

14x4

Observer
You're not able to fit a Crew Cab 6.5ft box in either the Ford or the GM? You'd have to do the 5.5ft box on the GM Crew?

I suppose the GMC crew with a long bed would fit. But it still would take up more room than I'd like. I will think about that.

Do you need more bed space or people space?

Not sure on the Ford, but the Chevy 1500 extra cab will the same leg room for the rear passenger seats as your S10. 34.3"

That's good to know!

I think interior space would be slightly more convenient than bed space on a day to day basis for my needs.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
The new GMC 1/2 ton "DOUBLE CAB" (no longer called an extended cab) has real forward hinge doors like a small crew cab where the F250 has the smaller suicide doors.

The GMC Double Cab would have a more F/R headroom and legroom (over 4" more front / 3" rear), but less shoulder/hip room than the F250 Super Cab
The GMC Crew Cab would be the same, but have over 10" more rear legroom

The GMC Crew with the 5.3L makes 355 hp and 383 lb-ft, weighs about 5200 pounds (14.65 lbs/hp and 13.58 lb/lb-ft), and is rated at 16 mpg city/ 22 mpg freeway
The Ford Super with the 6.2L makes 385 hp and 405 lb-ft, weighs about 6500 pounds (16.88 lbs/hp and 16.05 lb/lb-ft), and is rated at 12 mpg city/ 16 mpg freeway

Better power-to-weight ratio, +4 mpg city / +6 mpg freeway, even the Double Cab has a bigger back seat

Unless you REAAAAALLLY like a solid front axle or need the extra GVWR, I'd vote for the new 2014 GMC....even with the Double Cab

14x4

Observer
The new GMC 1/2 ton "DOUBLE CAB" (no longer called an extended cab) has real forward hinge doors like a small crew cab where the F250 has the smaller suicide doors.

The GMC Double Cab would have a more F/R headroom and legroom (over 4" more front / 3" rear), but less shoulder/hip room than the F250 Super Cab
The GMC Crew Cab would be the same, but have over 10" more rear legroom

The GMC Crew with the 5.3L makes 355 hp and 383 lb-ft, weighs about 5200 pounds (14.65 lbs/hp and 13.58 lb/lb-ft), and is rated at 16 mpg city/ 22 mpg freeway
The Ford Super with the 6.2L makes 385 hp and 405 lb-ft, weighs about 6500 pounds (16.88 lbs/hp and 16.05 lb/lb-ft), and is rated at 12 mpg city/ 16 mpg freeway

Better power-to-weight ratio, +4 mpg city / +6 mpg freeway, even the Double Cab has a bigger back seat

Unless you REAAAAALLLY like a solid front axle or need the extra GVWR, I'd vote for the new 2014 GMC....even with the Double Cab

Haha. You're making this easier for me.

Clutch

<---Pass
The new GMC 1/2 ton "DOUBLE CAB" (no longer called an extended cab)

dang manufactures changing names! :p It will always be an "extra cab" in my heart. ;) Even Toyota dropped the extra cab name, and now call it a access cab...which is kind of lame...after calling it a extra cab for years and years.

Haha. You're making this easier for me.

I would pick the GM over the Ford as well.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Go ahead and get the crew cab. Just park it in the driveway and build a workshop in the garage. That's what I did. But I was planning, and did, lift it, so it's too tall for the garage anyhow.:)

My kids are teens... I need the big cab and 4 full sized doors.

In reality, how much trail running, and how difficult of terrain are you planning to travel through? My truck is a daily driver and does spend 75/80% of it's life on pavement. Most vehicles do these days. I have, however, built mine to handle the off road. Off road trucks don't take corners fast, but they don't get stuck on speed bumps either. A street truck does get stuck in the soft or twisty stuff. My decision has cost me some fuel economy, but I wanted the capability. As I can't afford two separate trucks, I started with an older truck, and built the one that will take me the most places.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
That built S-10 you put in your post looks capable. You could, If you can afford it, keep it as a trail rig, and get buy with a more streetable truck. I do love my bug truck, but the long turning radius is a pain sometimes.

14x4

Observer
Go ahead and get the crew cab. Just park it in the driveway and build a workshop in the garage. That's what I did. But I was planning, and did, lift it, so it's too tall for the garage anyhow.:)

My kids are teens... I need the big cab and 4 full sized doors.

In reality, how much trail running, and how difficult of terrain are you planning to travel through? My truck is a daily driver and does spend 75/80% of it's life on pavement. Most vehicles do these days. I have, however, built mine to handle the off road. Off road trucks don't take corners fast, but they don't get stuck on speed bumps either. A street truck does get stuck in the soft or twisty stuff. My decision has cost me some fuel economy, but I wanted the capability. As I can't afford two separate trucks, I started with an older truck, and built the one that will take me the most places.

I hear you man! I'd love to make the garage a work space but I don't think that's feasible at the moment.

That built S-10 you put in your post looks capable. You could, If you can afford it, keep it as a trail rig, and get buy with a more streetable truck. I do love my bug truck, but the long turning radius is a pain sometimes.

That's my plan. I can't own a truck and not at least lift it a little, but I want to keep it very streetable - unlike my S10. lol

Clutch

<---Pass
That's my plan. I can't own a truck and not at least lift it a little, but I want to keep it very streetable - unlike my S10. lol

I would assume that the suspension is the same as the previous gen.

Rough Country has a 2.5" spacer kit (kinda lame) for the '14 already

1010187_608616519157743_2032605313_n.jpg

*assuming* a coil-over and some UCA's from the previous gen will work.

2-07+ Chevy-77500 + Icon + CST-1000.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I would look for a left over 2013 if you go the GM route. The new "styling" is probably the ugliest thing to come out of Detroit since the Aztek!

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
+1 on the modern styling... on every truck these days. I swear, if I won the lottery, I'd just have an older truck rebuilt rather than buy new.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
I'd give up on fitting it in the garage and go with the Ford, in a Crew Cab!!! (I've grown used to not having my pickup be able to fit in my garage! I couldn't even fit my extended cab Silverado in!) Or, could a Dodge be a possibility? I never thought I'd own a Dodge (other than maybe a Cummins powered one!) but, I have a 2012 Ram Power Wagon (5.7L Hemi) now and am VERY happy with it! But, if you are dead set on Ford or GM, get the F-250 but, don't get an extended cab- I made the mistake of buying an extended cab when I wanted (but couldn't find) a crew cab (my Silverado), I loved the truck anyway but, I constantly found myself wishing I had the extra room of a crew cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles