Help Me Pick My New Rig!

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Have you considered a used truck?

Gas 3/4 ton trucks have pretty poor resale. Find an 05+ F250 fitted with a V10 (bonus if you find one with a manual trans). They are bulletproof.
The V10 has diesel like torque, will use a bit more gas than the 6.2 - but with the money you save on purchase price, you will still be in the positive. Plus with 4.30 gears, it will pull a house down.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
In your original post, you emphasize the straight axle, tougher than nails, and simplicity the Ford offers. Then as the thread progresses, you lean towards the soft side of ride, aka IFS, etc. The Ford will not let you down as a work truck- straight axles locking hubs, manual 4x4- all original parameters. However, if the original parameters are incorrect, ie: 25% off road, towing, and camping, then the 'tool' should possibly change... There are better riding trucks, but there is a reason the Fords continue to shine in the worst of conditions. We abuse every truck in our little fleet, and the Ford is the only one to survive on a regular basis. I must add I did try a PW a few years ago, UTE bed and all, and loved it. But, talk about dismal fuel economy- I seldom saw double digits. Like I said, we work the trucks...

On the true CC vs extra-cab, all I can say is I hate the fact of opening the front doors to access the rear doors. Of course, I drop the kids at school, a daily issue. And the fact the rear seat person cannot access the front door handle to open the pass side door to then open the rear pass door is utterly ridiculous to me. A two person job just to get out of the rear seat...

Oh, and I drive a 150 CC longbed (6.5') 4x4 these days as my DD as it is much more comfortable- but only because I have the HD trucks around when needed.

Last edited:

Dirtytires

Explorer
I just bought me a 2013 Ford f250 xlt crew cab ( kids) and as far as room, this thing is like a motel on wheels. I cant wait to get it dirty.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I hear you man! I'd love to make the garage a work space but I don't think that's feasible at the moment.

That's my plan. I can't own a truck and not at least lift it a little, but I want to keep it very streetable - unlike my S10. lol

You don't have to build the work shop right now. Just do a little each month as finances allow... like the rest of us.

As far as lifting it goes, a 4" lift and 35s on my Super Duty does make it too tall for my garage, but it doesn't HAVE to go in the garage. It remains very street friendly. I try not take corners too fast, (it's a truck, not a Vette) but I have had to make emergency maneuvers in it several times, and the truck still responded very well. Stable and predictable.

Rovertrader makes another selling point for a street friendly every day truck...

On the true CC vs extra-cab, all I can say is I hate the fact of opening the front doors to access the rear doors. Of course, I drop the kids at school, a daily issue. And the fact the rear seat person cannot access the front door handle to open the pass side door to then open the rear pass door is utterly ridiculous to me. A two person job just to get out of the rear seat...

If you plan on ever using the back seat for passengers... don't get anything without 4 full size doors that can each open independently. Either stay with a regular cab, (you can say "Sorry, no room.") or get a Crew Cab and say "Hop in."

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Four doors is the way to go in my opinion.
I know nothing about other makes other than ford. I own an 07 cc 6.0 diesel and love it and has never let me down.

I travel a lot for work and we use three types of vehicles all over the world, land cruisers when we need SUVs, Toyota hilux when we need small pickups, and ford f350 when we need work horses.

My 2 cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior